Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 10
Abstract: In 1955 when the American Federation of Labor (AFL) and the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) merged, it created AFL-CIO Region 8 encompassing Tennessee and Kentucky with Paul Christopher as Director. North and South Carolina became part of Region 5 directed by Carey Haigler. The 1964 reorganization of the AFL-CIO placed Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina in Region 8 with Christopher as Director and Haigler as Assistant Director. After Christopher's death in 1974, Region 8...
Dates: 1940-1974; Majority of material found within 1956 - 1974
Scope and Content of the Collection The collection contains 34 contracts dated 1969-1972.
Abstract: D. Bruce Shine workded as an attorney in Kingsport, Tennessee. He specialized in labor law and served as the General Council for the United Textile Workers of America. The D. Bruce Shine collection, 1928-1982, consists of legal case files and personal files.
Abstract: Donald P. Crane was Professor of Management at Georgia State University in Atlanta, who also served as an arbitrator in labor-management disputes. These files document his work as an arbitrator of labor disputes, 1970-1993. Most of the 550-plus cases occurred in Georgia and Tennessee.
Dates: 1970-1997, 2010-2016
Abstract: The collection consists of records of District 4 (Southeast) of the International Association of Machinists (IAM), and its successor the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers from 1901-1974. The records include correspondence (1928-1974), printed material (1933-1974), grievance claims (1944-1974), legal documents (1948-1973), financial documents (1939-1940; 1951-1974), minutes (1901-1905; 1939-1966; 1973), and contract negotiations. The correspondence is mainly of...
Abstract: The collection consists of records of the Southeastern Region of the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union (formed 1954) and its predecessor, the United Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Employees of America, from 1940-1968. Contains primarily company files which include cases brought before the National Labor Relations Board dealing mainly with elections and unfair labor practice charges. Also includes correspondence (1940-1967), minutes (1959-1961), financial documents...
Dates: 1940-1968; Majority of material found within 1956 - 1964
Abstract: The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) represents health care workers, government workers, and property services workers (food, janitorial and security services). Formed in 1921 as the Building Service Employees International Union (BSEIU) as part of the AFL, the union changed its name in 1968. The Service Employees International Union, Southern Region records (1940-1945; 1951-1975) consists of correspondence, financial records, meeting minutes, legal documents, contract negotiation...
Dates: 1940-1945, 1951-1975
Abstract: The collection consists of records of District 35 of the United Steelworkers of America from 1940-1987. Contains mainly correspondence (1943-1987) between district directors William Crawford, Lorne Nelles, and M.C. Weston and various USWA officers and departments, including USWA President David McDonald, field representatives, and local unions mainly discussing organizing activities, contract negotiation, and strike activities; as well as company files (1943-1957); minutes of the Steelworkers...
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the United Textile Workers of America from 1936-1995. This collection contains documentation about the local unions in the UTWA, both in the United States and Canada. Information on mergers, strikes, finances and conventions is included in these papers. These records were from the UTWA, Southern Region.
Abstract The Workers United, Southern Region Records consist of contracts, grievances, negotiation materials, correspondence, constitutions and videotapes, 1980-2013. Workers United grew out of a series of older textile workers unions including ILGWU, UNITE!, UNITE HERE, ACTWU, ACWU, and TWUA.
- Atlanta (Ga.) 3
- Labor union locals 3
- Labor unions -- Organizing 3
- Arbitration, Industrial 2
- Collective bargaining 2
- North Carolina 2
- Tennessee 2
- Textile industry 2
- Textile workers -- Labor unions 2
- Baltimore (Md.) 1
- Charlotte (N.C.) 1
- Clerks (Retail trade) -- Labor unions 1
- Collective labor agreements 1
- Collective labor agreements -- Government employees 1
- Fort McPherson (Ga.) 1
- Grievance arbitration 1
- Industrial arbitrators 1
- Iron and steel workers -- Labor unions 1
- Kentucky 1
- Kingsport (Tenn.) 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Labor leaders 1
- Labor unions -- Jurisdictional disputes 1
- Labor unions -- Law and legislation 1
- Labor unions -- Political activity 1
- Lawyers 1
- Louisville (Ky.) 1
- Machinists -- Labor unions 1
- Political campaigns 1
- Retail trade -- Employees 1
- Service industries workers -- Labor unions 1
- South Carolina 1
- Steel industry and trade 1
- Virginia 1
- Women labor leaders 1
- case files 1
- contracts 1 ∧ less
- United Textile Workers of America 2
- AFL-CIO. Atlanta Labor Council 1
- AFL-CIO. Railway Employes' Department 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 8 (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- AFSCME 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union 1
- Atlanta Housing Authority 1
- Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Company 1
- Atlantic Steel Company 1
- Building Service Employees' International Union 1
- Central of Georgia Railway 1
- Christopher, Paul R. 1
- Cox, Val 1
- Crane, Donald P. 1
- Georgia State AFL-CIO 1
- Gulf, Mobile and Ohio Railroad Company 1
- Haigler, Carey 1
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. District Lodge 4 1
- J.P. Stevens & Co. 1
- Kirkland, Lane 1
- Machinists Non-Partisan Political League 1
- Meany, George, 1894-1980 1
- Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union. Southeastern Region 1
- Schnitzler, F. William (Frank William), 1904- 1
- Service Employees International Union. Local 554 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Service Employees International Union. Southern Region 1
- Shine, D. Bruce 1
- Southern Railway (U.S.) 1
- Tennessee Valley Authority 1
- United Steelworkers of America. District 35 1
- Workers United. Southern Region 1 ∧ less