Altrusa International, Atlanta Club records
Scope and Content of the Records
The records, 1938-2001, of the Altrusa International Incorporated, Atlanta Club, comprise correspondence, minutes, printed items, financial records, annual conference and convention information, annual reports, project and committee files, photographs and a videotape, and convention memorabilia. The bulk of the records describe the charitable work of the Altrusa International Inc. Atlanta Club, but other clubs throughout Georgia and District III are also documented. There are personal papers of many of the Atlanta Club presidents and officials, including Mary Kate Duskin, Cassie Dollar, Marian Styron and Margaret Windsor. Files are arranged in six series, arranged chronologically, and clippings have been photocopied for preservation purposes. Periodicals have been separated and are listed at the end of the finding aid.
- Creation: 1938-2001
- Altrusa Club of Atlanta, Georgia (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
History of the Atlanta Club of Altrusa International Incorporated
Founded in Nashville in 1917 as a women's civic organization where business and professional women could meet and exchange ideas, Altrusa developed into an altruistic group. Led by Mamie L. Bass, Altrusa was established as a classified service organization. It quickly grew into a chain of national clubs, and became international in 1935.
On March 23, 1938, the Altrusa Club of Atlanta was organized. Its Presidents have included Louise Vaughn (1938-1940), Laurie K. Guy (1940-1942), Eleanor Kellow (1943), Mary Kate Duskin, (1955-1957), Cassie Dollar (1966-1967), Marian Styron (1967-1969) and Margaret Windsor (1971-1972). The Atlanta Club is part of Altrusa's District III which includes South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida and Georgia. Officers are elected at the club and district level during the annual conferences and conventions, and work with committee chairs throughout the year.
The club actively participated in a variety of ways to assist the community. It implemented programs such as the American Women's Volunteer Service Program, which entertained service men from Lawson General Hospital, and a vocational guidance series for women workers of the Bell Bomber plant. It also adopted the Irving Thomas Home for middle-aged women.
Early accomplishments for the Atlanta Club include a $1,000 contribution for nursing schools in 1946; the organization and teaching of regular classes at the Georgia Training School for Girls at Adamsville from 1949-1953; establishment of a revolving scholarship fund in 1953, which gave financial aid to a number of female students; and the creation of an annual Vocational Clinic for the Mature Woman from (1956-1965). In the 1960s and 1970s, the Atlanta club conducted career clinics at the Atlanta Girls' Club, worked once a month with recreation and social activities at Friendship House, created Villa International as temporary housing for newly arrived immigrants to Atlanta, designed and remodeled rooms at the Atlanta Women's Mission and assisted with Hillside Cottages, a treatment oriented center for emotionally disturbed children. In the late 1970s Altrusa officially adopted literacy as ongoing service.
In the 1980s and 1990s, with its increasingly global outlook, Altrusa International, Inc. expanded its projects beyond literacy and education. In 1989, Altrusa adopted a resolution to promote environmental concerns and in 1997, the Altrusa Foundation adopted Camp Safe Haven for abandoned children with HIV/AIDS.
26.5 Linear Feet (39 boxes)
Language of Materials
The records of the Altrusa International, Atlanta Club, 1938-2001, describe through administrative papers, correspondence, scrapbooks, articles and photographs how the women's service organization provided community service within District III and with Altrusa clubs internationally as a whole.
Organized into six series, which are arranged chronologically: I. Administrative, II. Board and Officers, III. Programs and Projects, IV. Scrapbooks, News Clippings and Printed Materials, V. Artifacts, VI. Audio/Visual.
Donated by Caryn Arrowood for Altrusa, 2006 (accession W2006-15).
Separated Materials Note
During processing, periodicals were separated to Women's Printed Collection: Periodicals. Material must be requested separately; consult archivist or finding aid for access and exact issue information. Two books were separated to the Department Book Collection: See catalog for access.
Material Separated to Women's Printed Collection: Periodicals
- International Altrusan, 1951-1994
- Altrusa Corner of Atlanta, 1962-1971
- Altrusan, 1975-1978
- Altrusa Accent, 1985-1999
- Prez Sez, 1974-1975
- Altru Sounds, 1972-1973, 1984-1985
- Atlanta Altrusan, 1971, 1979-1973
- Service Bulletin, 1964-1999
- Altrusa International Service Bulletin, 1964-1982
- Atlantrusa, July-August 1978
- Altrusa Journal, 1989-1999
- Altrusa International, Inc District Three News, 1956-1971
- Second District Altrusa News, 1947-1955
- Altrusa Rocky News, July 24-27, 1961
- Atlanta Altrusa Bulletin, 1952-1961
- Altrusa Gateway News, May-June, 1961
- Atlanta Altrusa News, September 12, 1959, March, 1960
Separated to Women's Printed Collection: Books
- Alice Princess, an Autobiography
- Singing Time
Processed by Hilary Morrish at the item level, September-November 2007. Clippings have been photocopied for preservation purposes. Periodicals have been separated.
- Altrusa International, Atlanta Club:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- 8 January 2008
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description