Skip to main content

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local Lodge 37 (New Orleans, La.) records

 Collection
Identifier: L1989-16
Constitutions, bylaws, minutes, correspondence, agreement reports, financial records and membership cards, relating to the day-to-day activities of a major New Orleans union and its relationship to the International headquarters are documented in these records. Included is material on the company-union relations between the local and such companies as the National Gypsum Company, the American Can Company, the Service Foundry, Incorporated, and the Association of Manufacturers and Repairers. In addition, the collection contains material relating to the national IAM, the Louisiana Machinists Non-Partisan Political League, the New Orleans Machinists Joint Apprenticeship Program, various New Orleans union locals, the Delgado Trade School, the cooperative programs sponsored for IAM members, the Equal Employment Opportunity program, the Right To Work bill of 1954, and the 1958 Welfare and Pension Plans Disclosure. Other subjects of interest include labor during World War II, the marine and shipping industries, the aircraft and guided missiles industry, Steelworkers, strikes, Teamsters and the Taft-Hartley Labor bill.

Dates

  • 1906-1987
  • Majority of material found within 1955 - 1980

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Access restricted to Series I, Subseries G (Day sheets).

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Extent

87 Linear Feet (in 169 boxes)

Abstract:

IAMAW Local Lodge 37 was chartered on July 11, 1899, and dissolved in the late 1980s. Its records relate to the day-to-day activities of a major New Orleans union and its relationship to the International headquarters, and include constitutions, bylaws, minutes, correspondence, agreement reports, financial records, membership cards and artifacts.

Historical Note

IAMAW Local Lodge 37 (also known as Crescent City Lodge 37) and Faithful Lodge 337, were chartered on July 11, 1899. Founding lodge members took the original nickname of New Orleans, "Crescent City", as it's own, and it appears to have remained in use until the 1950's. The lodge had contracts with a number of New Orleans metal trades companies and associations over the years, including, the American Can Company, National Gypsum Company, Service Foundry Incorporated and the Association of Manufacturers and Repairers. It dissolved in the late 1980's.

Acquisition Information

Donated by International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local Lodge 37 (New Orleans, La.), courtesy of John McGrath, May 1989.

Related Archival Materials

Georgia State University Library is the official repository for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, and the collection includes the Grand Lodge records as well as numerous Local and District Lodges. Please see the IAMAW Research Guide for more collections. In addition, GSU Digital Collections includes complete, full-text runs of the Machinist Monthly Journal and the Machinists Newspaper available in GSU Digital Collections as well as numerous photographs and local publications from both the US and Canada.

Processing Information

Processed by DeAnna Phillips and Mary McMahon Dawson, 2004. Finding aid revised by William Hardesty, 2006 and 2007.
Title
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local Lodge 37 (New Orleans, Louisiana):
Subtitle
A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
Status
completed
Author
Georgia State University Library
Date
2004
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
404-413-2880
404-413-2881 (Fax)