Showing Collections: 1 - 14 of 14
The Atlanta Labor Council was formed in 1958 by the merger of the Atlanta Federation of Trades, AFL, and the Atlanta Industrial Union Council, CIO. Its records are composed of proceedings, constitutions, contracts, convention materials, periodicals, pamphlets, and printed material of the Atlanta Labor Council and affiliated organizations, 1965-1990 (bulk 1967-1980).
The collection consists of the papers of Charles Mathias from 1951-1973, including correspondence, legal documents, and printed materials pertaining to attempts by United Steel Workers of America (Atlanta, Georgia) Field Representatives Mathias and W.R. Thrasher to sign collective bargaining agreements with Scripto and Keller Industries.
Donated by John "Joe" Ward Merritt, President of the District Council of Iron Workers of Tennessee Valley Trades and Labor Council, this collection contains speeches, expense reports, Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) materials and bound copies of the unions' periodical The Ironworker.
The collection consists of 342 agreements, 1943-1974, between various local unions of the United Steelworkers of America and manufacturers.
The United Steelworkers of America, District 35 records date 1940-1973, when the district included Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia. The records consist of correspondence, minutes, financial documents, legal documents, and printed material.
Alcoa, Tennessee was incorporated in 1919 as a company town for the Aluminum Company of America. Workers there first organized an independent union in 1933. The United Steelworkers of America, Local 309 (Alcoa, Tenn.) collection, 1971-1983, consists of printed material recounting the history of Alcoa, Tennessee, its aluminum industry, and African American workers in the town.