Charles Mathias collection
Scope and Content of the Collection
The collection consists of the papers of Charles Mathias from 1951-1973. Includes correspondence, legal documents, and printed materials. Documents pertain to attempts by United Steel Workers of America (Atlanta, Georgia) Field Representatives Mathias and W.R. Thrasher to sign collective bargaining agreements with Scripto and Keller Industries. Also contains five motion picture films concerning the United Steel Workers of America.
- Mathias, Charles, 1913- (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biography of Charles Mathias
Charles Mathias (1913-1985), Field Representative for the United Steel Workers was born in Baltimore County, Maryland.
0.3 Linear Feet (in 1 box)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of the papers of Charles Mathias from 1951-1973, including correspondence, legal documents, and printed materials pertaining to attempts by United Steel Workers of America (Atlanta, Georgia) Field Representatives Mathias and W.R. Thrasher to sign collective bargaining agreements with Scripto and Keller Industries.
Collection donated by Charles Mathias, 1973
During processing audiovisual materials, periodicals, pamphlets, proceedings, and contracts were separated other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For contracts and agreements, see the United Steelworkers of America Contract Collection finding aid. For audiovisual materials and proceedings consult archivist.
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and Bylaws Collection
- New Jersey, Atlantic City. United Steelworkers of America, 1964
- New Jersey, Atlantic City. United Steelworkers of America, 1966
- Ohio, Cleveland. United Automobile, Aircraft and Agricultural Implement Workers of America, 1951
- Georgia, Atlanta. Georgia State AFL-CIO, 1960
- Georgia, Atlanta. Industrial Union Department, AFL-CIO, undated
- Georgia, Atlanta. United Steelworkers of America (International Union), 1958
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- AFL-CIO, Industrial Union Department, 1961
- CIO 10th Constitutional Convention, 1948
- Transport Workers Union of America, 8th Biennial Convention, 1952
- Ohio CIO Council, 10th Annual Convention, 1949
- International Woodworkers of America, 12th Convention, 1948
- International Woodworkers of America, 14th Convention, 1950
- International Woodworkers of America, 15th Convention, 1951
- International Woodworkers of America, Special Convention, 1958
- Georgia State Industrial Union Council, 9th, 13th-16th Annual Conventions, 1948, 1952-1955
- Textile Workers Union of America, 5th Biennial Convention, 1948
- Textile Workers Union of America, 6th Biennial Convention, 1950
- United Steelworkers of America, 3rd-15th Constitutional Conventions, 1946-1970
- United Steelworkers of America, Special International Convention, 1952
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- 107 pamphlets filed by publisher and concerning the economy, civil rights, and the government
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- Industrial Union Department Digest, Spring 1957
- Steel Labor, February 1966
- Memphis Union News, January 1965
- AFL-CIO, Memo from Cope, 1970, 1972
- Georgia Council Spotlight, March-April 1953
- Steelworkers Legislative Newsletter, March 27, 1972
- News from the USWA, April 30, 1973
- Nonferrous Report, January 1972
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Audiovisual Collection
- David J. McDonald Opens USWA Convention, Atlantic City (Bob Post, Inc.), September 19, 1970
- State of Our Union, Philadelphia (News Reel Laboratory), undated
- United Steelworkers of America, This is Your Union, Philadelphia(News Reel Laboratory), undated
- President Kennedy and David J. McDonald Interview, (Union Production Studios, Inc.) September 6, 1962
- Talk by David J. McDonald on the Necessity of Reelection President Lyndon Johnson, (United Steelworkers of America), August 10, 1964
Processed by Laura K. Farkas, 1973.
This collection guide was created from a legacy finding aid. The inventory's contents and storage locations of separated materials (if applicable) were not verified at that time.
- Charles Mathias:
- A Guide to His Collection at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description