Skip to main content

United Steelworkers of America, Local 309 (Alcoa, Tenn.) collection

 Collection
Identifier: L1983-30

Scope and Contents of the Collection

United Steelworkers of America, Local 309 (Alcoa, Tenn.) collection, 1971-1983, consists of printed material recounting the history of Alcoa, Tennessee, its aluminum industry, and African American workers in the town, back to the 1919 founding of the Aluminum Company of America plant there. The collection includes correspondence between Georgia State University archivist Leslie Hough and Jack Morris of USW Local 309 (Alcoa, Tenn.); "History of the Alcoa Aluminum Workers Union" (1971) by Lamar Taylor, one of the local's founders; and the articles "Alcoa, Tennessee; The Early Years, 1919-1939" and "The Black Community in a Company Town; Alcoa, Tennessee, 1919-1939," both written by Russell D. Parker and published by The East Tennessee Historical Society's Publication (No.48, 1976).

Dates

  • 1971-1983

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.

Historical Note

Alcoa, Tennessee (formerly North Maryville, in Blount County) was incorporated in 1919 as a company town for the Aluminum Company of America. Aluminum workers there first formed an independent union in 1933, which later affiliated with the Aluminum Workers of America. That union merged with the United Steelworkers of America (USWA) in 1944 and the Alcoa local became USWA Local 309.

Extent

0.05 Linear Feet (in 1 folder)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract:

Alcoa, Tennessee was incorporated in 1919 as a company town for the Aluminum Company of America. Workers there first organized an independent union in 1933. The United Steelworkers of America, Local 309 (Alcoa, Tenn.) collection, 1971-1983, consists of printed material recounting the history of Alcoa, Tennessee, its aluminum industry, and African American workers in the town.

Acquisition Information

Donated by Jack Morris, former Education Chairman of United Steelworkers of America, Local 309, August 1983.

Related Archival Materials

Related Materials in This Repository

  1. United Steelworkers of America contracts collection, 1943-1974 (L-contracts_USWA)
  2. Charles Mathias collection, 1951-1973 (L1973-31)
  3. United Steelworkers of America, District 35 records, 1940-1973 (L1974-34)
  4. United Steelworkers of America, District 35 records, 1940-1974 (L1975-21)
  5. United Steelworkers of America, District 35 records, 1945-1987 (L1982-15)

Related Materials in Other Repositories

  1. United Steelworkers of America Records, The Historical Collections and Labor Archives at Pennsylvania State University
  2. United Steelworkers of America, District 35 Records, 1941-1952, Duke University, David M. Rubenstein Rare Book and Manuscript Library

Processing Information

Processed by Carley Henderson May 2014.
Title
United Steelworkers of America, Local 309 (Alcoa, Tenn.):
Subtitle
A Guide to the Collection at Georgia State University
Status
Completed
Author
Georgia State University Library
Date
May 2014
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Revision Statements

  • May 2014: EAD Finding aid created by Carly Henderson.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
404-413-2880
404-413-2881 (Fax)