Florida State Council of Carpenters records
Scope and Content of the Records
The Records, 1952-1978, of the Florida State Council of Carpenters consist of correspondence, minutes, financial documents, apprenticeship records, contract proposals with corroborating materials, the files of Warren Connary, pamphlets, photographs, contracts, constitutions and bylaws, proceedings, and periodicals. The Records especially highlight the activities of three officers of the State Council: H.E. Morris, (President, -1953), Secretary-Treasurer, 1953-1956, 1964-1968); Andrew Dann, Sr. (Secretary-Treasurer, 1968-); and Warren Connary, (Florida State Organizer, 1957-1974). The primary concerns found in the Records are apprentice training and organizing, the latter reflected in the voluminous files which document organizing efforts at thirty-five companies located in Jacksonville, Miami, Tallahassee, Orlando, and other areas in the state.
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
The Florida State Council of Carpenters was established in 1926.
10.2 Linear Feet (in 15 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Florida State Council of Carpenters was established in 1926. Its records, 1952-1978, include material relating to organizing efforts at thirty-five companies located throughout Florida (1960-1973); contract negotiation files (1958-1974); correspondence (1952-1974); records relating to apprentice training (1963-1978); financial records (1956-1974); files of state organizer, Warren P. Connary (1957-1974); and minutes (1952-1974). The records especially highlight the activities of three officers: H.E. Morris, Andrew Dann, Sr., and Warren P. Connary. Also includes miscellaneous materials, pamphlets, and about 200 photographs, primarily of meetings and banquets.
Donated by Andrew Dann. Sr., February 15, 1979.
The photographs in this collection may have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.
During processing, oversize records, photographs, and printed material were separated to other Southern Labor Archives collections. For photographs, see the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection finding aid. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For oversize materials, constitutions, contracts, and proceedings, consult Special Collections for Access.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Oversize Location
- Ledger Sheets, 1963; 1965
- Personnel Records, 1972
- Election Notices, (N.L.R.B.) undated
- Newspaper Clippings, 1958-1969
- Posters, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection
- 203 Photographs, 1959-1977, most unidentified, including: Apprenticeship Contest, 1962; 1964; 1967; Apprenticeship Conference, 1971; 1977; undated; Florida State Council of Carpenters 34th Convention, 1959; State Council Banquet, 1960-1961; General Officers, UBCJA, 1973
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and By-laws Collection
- Florida State AFL-CIO, 1961
- Florida State Council of Carpenters, 1955; 1959; 1964; 1968; 1970; 1976; undated
- Louisiana State Council of Carpenters, 1955
- Apprenticeship Standards, Education Dept., UBCJA, 1963; 1965
- District Council By-Laws, UBCJA, 1960
- Miami Beach Carpenters District Council Apprenticeship Standards, 1967
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Contracts Collection
- AFL-CIO Building and Constitution Trades Department, 1968
- United Automobile Workers, 1971
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners, 1959-1961
- Southern Council of Lumber and Plywood Workers, 1970
- Craft Maintenance Council of Florida, 1971
- Broward County District Council of Carpenters, 1961; 1969; 1972 (2); 1973; undated
- Jacksonville District Council of Carpenters, 1964-1967
- Miami District Council of Carpenters (2), 1971
- Palm Beach District Council of Carpenters, 1960
- Carpenters Local, 2376, Central Florida, 1974
- Carpenters Locals, 1447, 1174, Central Florida, 1974
- Carpenters Locals, 1194, 2399, 875, 2368, Northwest Florida, 1965
- Carpenters Locals, 1685, 1765, Brevard and Orange Counties, 1963
- Carpenters Locals, 3005 Deland, FL., 1969
- Carpenters Local, 2263 Jacksonville, FL, 1962
- Carpenters Local, 2543 Lake City, FL., 1968
- Carpenters Local, Ocala, FL., 1964; 1968; undated
- Carpenters Local, 21255 Orlando, FL., 1971
- Carpenters Local, 2712 Pompano Beach, FL., 1963; 1966; 1969; 1971
- Carpenters Local, 2139 Tallahassee, FL., 1974
- Carpenters Local, 2546 Atlanta, GA, 1957
- Carpenters Locals, 3094, 3101 Oakdale, LA, 1968
- Carpenters Local, 974 Baltimore, MD, 1970
- Carpenters Local, 3031 Laurel, MS, 1958
- Carpenters Local, 3130 Hampton, S.C., 1970
- United Furniture Workers of America, Local 301 New Albany, IN, 1968
- Laborer's International Union of North America, Fort Lauderdale, 1970
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Florida State Council of Carpenters, 1953; 1954; 1957; 1959; 1966; 1969; 1970; 1972; 1973; 1975; 1977; 1978
- Florida State AFL-CIO, 1958; 1959; 1961; 1962; 1966
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- The Carpenters, UBCJA Vol. 92, March 1972
- Current Information, UBCJA, July 24, 1954; March 18 and April 12, 1955
- News, USDL, July 23, 1972; undated
- News Bulletin, UBCJA Local 1509, Vol. 5, October 1959
- Newsletter, Florida State Council of Carpenters, April, May 1961
- Password and Quarterly Circular, UBCJA March, June, September 1956; June 1958; March 1974
- Political Memo from COPE, COPE Vol. 13-58, June 30, 1958
- Oversize: South Florida Labor Tribune -- Broward County Central Labor Union Vol. II, September 28, 1961
Inventoried by William Meeks at the file level, July 1980.
- Florida State Council of Carpenters:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2001: EAD finding aid created by Apex Data Services.
- December 2005, August 2007: EAD revised by William Hardesty.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303