Atlanta Transit System records
Scope and Content of the Records
These are the labor relations files of the various companies that have operated Atlanta's public transit system, though the bulk of the material concerns the Atlanta Transit System, 1951-1969. Included are transcripts and notes of company-union conferences, statements of union requests, and company proposals, beginning with negotiations between the Amalgamated Transit Workers Union, Division 732, and the Georgia Power Company in 1946. Wages, retirement and insurance benefits, safety, and grievances are the principal subjects of discussion. The record is especially complete during the strike of 1949. Considerable contract and arbitration material obtained from other transit systems and from the American Transit Association for use in bargaining is included, as is some information on Atlanta Transit System's athletic teams, employee transfers, and vacations, 1960-1961.
- Creation: 1920-1973
- Atlanta Transit System (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Companies whose labor relations records are included in this collection (dates indicate years each company owned the municipal transit system of Atlanta):
- 1912-1927 Georgia Railway and Power Company
- 1921-1927 Atlanta Street Railway System
- 1927-1950 Georgia Power Company
- 1950-1972 Atlanta Transit System
- 1972- MARTA Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority
3 Linear Feet (in 8 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of labor relation files of the various companies that have operated Atlanta's public transit system.
The records are arranged into three series: Series I: Georgia Power Company, 1946-1950, Series II: Atlanta Transit System, 1951-1969, Series III: Non-Atlanta Transit Negotiations, 1946-1947, 1959-1961
Donated by MARTA, courtesy of H. L. Taylor, July 1, 1973.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For contracts, see either the Railroad unions contracts collection finding aid or the Amalgamated Transit Union contracts collection finding aid. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time).
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Contracts and Agreements Collection
- Alabama, Birmingham: Amalgamated Association of Street, Electric Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America #725, 1945-1947, 1963 (105 leaves)
- Florida, Miami: Amalgamated Association #1267, 1955, 1958 (33 leaves)
- Georgia, Atlanta: Amalgamated Transit Union #732 with Atlanta Transit System Inc., 1920-1973 (755 leaves)
- Georgia, Atlanta: Amalgamated Transit Union #732 with Metropolitan Transit System Inc., 1954, 1956 (26 leaves)
- I.B.E.W. #B-84, 1939, 1941, 1947 (51 leaves)
- Kentucky, Louisville: Louisville Transit Employees Union #1447, 1958 (36 leaves)
- Massachusetts: Amalgamated Association #1509, 1958 (79 leaves)
- New Jersey, Maplewood: Amalgamated Association #819-825, 800, 947, 1960 (17 leaves)
- New York, Rochester: Amalgamated Association #282, 1959 (13 leaves)
- Ohio, Cincinnati: Amalgamated Association, 1959 (15 leaves)
- Tennessee, Memphis: Amalgamated Association, 1946, 1948 (20 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
- One pamphlet
Inventoried by E. L. E. Mize at th file level, October 11, 1973.
- American Transit Association (Organization)
- Amalgamated Association of Street, Electric Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America. Division 732 (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
- Amalgamated Transit Union. Local 732 (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
- Georgia Power Company (Organization)
- Atlanta Transit System:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description