Glass Bottle Blowers Association, Local 101 (East Point, Ga.) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The material consists of records of the Local 101 (East Point, Ga.) of the Glass Bottle Blowers Association of the United States and Canada (GBBA) from 1953-1992. The records reflect the union's relationship with its principal employer, the Owens-Illinois Company's East Point, Georgia, plant. Includes correspondence (1953-1977) between local President James Wilson and the national union's Area Director, Joseph Cordery; Owens-Illinois's Industrial Relations Director, Jim Hochuli; and GBBA International Representative, Joseph Pitts. Of particular interest is correspondence pertaining to the nationwide strike against the Glass Manufacturers Institute in 1968 that was mediated by the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. Other records include minutes (1953-1975); records relating to arbitration (1958-1981) and grievances (1958-1992); union and company contract proposals (1967-1977); legal documents relating mainly to litigation between the local and Owens-Illinois; and financial records. Subject files include apprenticeship standards as well as some correspondence related to apprenticeship programs and general information relating to the daily operation of the Local 101.
- Glass Bottle Blowers Association of the United States and Canada. Local 101 (East Point, Ga.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
The Glass Bottle Blowers' Association of the United States and Canada (GBBA) organized in 1868 as the Independent Druggist Ware Glass Blowers' League. In 1895, the union adopted the GBBA name and affiliated with the AFL in 1899. Later, GBBA merged with the International Brotherhood of Pottery and Allied Workers into the Glass, Pottery, Plastics & Allied Workers International Union (1982), which subsequently became the Glass, Molders, Pottery, Plastics & Allied Workers International Union (1988).
Local 101 represented workers at the Owens-Illinois Company plant in East Point.
10.25 Linear Feet (in 22 boxes)
Language of Materials
The records of the Glass Bottle Blowers Association of the United States and Canada (GBBA), Local 101 (East Point, Ga.), 1953-1992, largely reflect the local's relationship with its principal employer, the Owens-Illinois Company plant in East Point. Contains eight series: Administrative, Contracts, Correspondence, Financial documents, Grievances, Legal documents, Minutes, and Subject files.
Organization of the Records
- Series I. Administration
- Series II. Contract
- Series III. Correspondence
- Series IV. Financial documents
- Series V. Grievances
- Series VI. Legal Documents
- Series VII. Minutes
- Series VIII. Subject files
Donated by James H. Wilson, President Local 101 (East Point, Ga.), 1972-1984.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For contracts, see the Glass Bottle Blowers Association of the United States and Canada contracts collection finding aid. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid or catalog. For pamphlets, Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For Constitutions and bylaws or proceedings, consult archivist.
Separated to Contracts and agreements Collection
- Georgia, Atlanta Local 101, [L1972-79], 1957-1959
- Georgia, Atlanta Local 101, [L1978-02], undated
- GBBA, [L1972-79], 1950, 1954, 1957, 1960, 1962, 1965, 1968, 1970
- GBBA Union Shop, [L1974; L1975-25], 1968
- GBBA of the United States and Canada and Owens-Illinois, Inc. (Production and maintenance), [L1977-10], undated
- GGBA, international, [1978-2], 1970, 1974
- GBBA, West coast, [L1978-02], 1974
- Maryland, Baltimore Locals 9, 30, 33, 56, [L1972-79], 1960
- Pennsylvania, Huntingdon and Mifflin Counties Locals 27 and 77, [L1972-79], 1956
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and Bylaws Collection
- Georgia, Atlanta Local 101, [L1978-02], 1971
- Georgia, Atlanta Local 101, [L1972-79], undated
- Georgia, GBBA, Local 101,[L1977-10], July 10, 1974
- GBBA, [L1972-79], 1957
- GBBA, International, [L1978-02], 1969, 1973
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- GBBA, Horizon, November, 1963-1972 [L1972-79]
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- 7 pamphlets concerning [L1972-79]: wages, Taft-Hartley Law, legislation, labor, history, shop steward duties, retirement, glass recycling
- 4 pamphlets concerning [L1978-02]: the Fair Labor Standards Act, history of the Glass Bottles Blowers; and Ritual
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- GBBA, Georgia State Federation of Labor proceedings [L1972-79], (265 leaves) 1964
- GBBA proceedings [L1978-02],1969, 1973, 1977
L1972-79 and 1973-07 inventoried by Robert Dinwiddie at the file level, 1972 and 1973. L1974-20 and L1975-25 inventoried at the file level, November 1975. L1977-10 inventoried by Mary Froelich at the file level, August 1977. L1978-02 and L1978-30 inventoried by Alice Gernazian at the file level, January 1979. L1981-13 and L1984-32 inventoried by Amanda Brown at the file level, August 2007. All accessions rehoused and combined into single finding aid by Hilary Morrish, December 2007.
- Arbitration, Industrial
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Collective bargaining
- Collective labor agreements
- Cordery, Joseph C. (Joseph Carl)
- East Point (Ga.)
- Glass Container Manufacturers Institute
- Glass manufacture
- Glassworkers -- Labor unions
- Hochuli, Jim
- Labor union locals
- Owens-Illinois Glass Company
- Pitts, Joseph C. (Joseph Clifton), 1937-
- Strikes and lockouts
- Wilson, James Harvey
- minutes (administrative records)
- Glass Bottle Blowers Association, Local 101 (East Point, Georgia) [L1972-79]:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- December 2007
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description