Skip to main content

GSU Women's Club records

 Collection
Identifier: G2006-21

Scope and Contents of the Records

The Georgia State University Women's Club Records consist of financial records, yearbooks, and correspondence regarding faculty wives and women faculty members, 1934-1988. The club's purpose was to promote sociability and to undertake educational, service, and other activities to increase the well-being of the Georgia State University community. Specifically highlighted in this collection are records involving the creation of a "Secret Recipes" cookbook, although no copy is included. In addition, items included are event meeting notes, and itineraries from the 1970s to the mid-1980s. Financial records detail the club's budget and membership fees. Yearbooks from the creation of the club in 1934 include membership involvement and events organized for the year. This record emphasizes GSU Women's involvement in the school and camaraderie between faculty wives and women faculty members.

Dates

  • Creation: 1934-1988

Creator

Language of Materials

In English.

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.

History of GSU Women's Club

GSU Women's Club was organized October 8, 1934 by the wives of faculty members. The purpose of the organizing the club was to promote sociability among members and the students of Georgia State University. Active membership was open to all faculty, administration and staff of GSU who apply and pay annual fees. Dues were required to fund events and gatherings. Events included new membership coffee get together and luncheons.

Extent

3.75 Linear Feet (in 6 boxes)

Abstract

The wives of faculty organized the Georgia State University Women’s Club on October 8, 1934. The records, 1934-1988, consist of financial records, yearbooks, meeting minutes, and correspondence that involved the faculty wives and women faculty members.

Arrangement Note

The records have been arranged into series by accession date. Since the materials came in over decades, this orginal order was maintained.

Acquisition Information

Donated in multiple accessions. G1973-06 and G1994-16 donated by GSU Women's Club. April 23, 1973 and July 20, 1994; G2006-21 donated by GSU Women's Club courtesy of Alexandra Massey, May 12, 2006.

Processing Information

Processed by Hannah Hanna, Spring 2018. Box 7 inventoried by Laurel Bowen, 2022.

Title
GSU Women's Club:
Subtitle
A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
Status
Completed
Author
Georgia State University Library
Date
Spring 2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Revision Statements

  • 2022-04-06: Box 7 (primarily scrapbooks, 1972-1980) added to inventory

Repository Details

Part of the Georgia State University Archives Repository

Contact:
Georgia State University Library
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta Georgia 30303
404-413-2880
404-413-2881 (Fax)