Jean McKamy Thomas papers
Scope and Content of the Papers
The papers contain speeches written by Dr. Jean M. Thomas during her career as Dean of Women and Dean of Student Development at Georgia State University. Speech topics range from parenting, criminal justice, gender, community service, inspirational motivation and addresses to a variety of organizations and informal groups. Also included are lesson plans for toddler and elementary school children including children's educational materials from Dr. Thomas' trips to Russia and China. These records highlight her interests regarding the status of women in education, workplace, and politics. Many of the materials also showcase Dr. Thomas' belief that an education should incorporate policies and programs facilitating the complete well being of children and adults. Newspaper clippings describing Dr. Thomas' activities in the Atlanta region and local clippings related to women's issues comprise a significant portion of the papers .
- 1943-1989; undated [bulk 1970s-1980s]
- Thomas, Jean McKamy, 1922- (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biography of Jean McKamy Thomas
Jean M. Thomas served as the Assistant Dean of Women (1968-1972), Dean of Women (1972-1976) and Dean of Student Development (1976-1991) at Georgia State University. Before joining Georgia State, Thomas taught Kindergarten for the Atlanta Public School system for 18 years while serving various other roles at all grade levels; additionally, she directed the Head Start Program for three summers.
2 box(es) (LS: 111-D-2)
Language of Materials
Between 1968 and 1991, Jean McKamy Thomas served as the Assistant Dean of Women, Dean of Women and Dean of Student Development at Georgia State University. Her papers include speeches written for functions at GSU and other Atlanta organizations. Lessons plans for primary school teachers and children's educational materials from Dr. Thomas's trips to Russia and China relate to her 18-year career with the Atlanta Public School system.
Files are arranged alphabetically according to folder title.
Donated by Jean McKamy Thomas, 2004.
Separated to the Special Collections Audio-Visual Collection
- "Joyce at 34" [16mm color film by Joyce Chopra]
- "It Happens to Us" [Jean Thomas via Diane Fowlkes on 12/8/1997] [16mm film]
- "Growing Up Female." [Jean Thomas via Diane Fowlkes on 9/17/1997] [Two reels of 16mm film]
- "Back to School, Back to Work." [Jean Thomas via Diane Fowlkes on 9/17/1997] [16mm film]
- "Images of Males and Females in Elementary School Textbooks"
- Three Kodak color slide carousels. ["Jean Thomas via Diane Fowlkes on 7/8/1997], 390 slides, "Images of Males and Females in Elementary School Textbooks," Lenore Weitzman and Diane Rizzo, University of California, Davis]
- Narration and Music for "Images of Males and Females in Elementary School Textbooks," Lenore Weitzman and Diane Rizzo, University of California, Davis. [3-3/4 i/p.s., 1/4 track reel-to-reel tape]
- Audio cassette tape
Processed by Amanda Brown, December 2007-January 2008.
- Jean McKamy Thomas:
- A Guide to Her Papers at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- January 2008
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note