Christine Tibbetts papers
Scope and Content of the Papers
Comprised of correspondence, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, newsletters, posters, drafts and photographs from 1974 to 2000, the papers document Tibbetts' work with the National Women's Political Caucus, Women's Equity Action League, American Association of University Women, Georgia Association of Education and Georgia Women's Political Caucus. Issues covered include legislation, politics, poverty, education, and an evaluation of Ronald Reagan's presidential administration as it related to women.
- Majority of material found within 1981 - 1985
- Tibbetts, Christine, 1948- (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biography of Christine Tibbetts
Christine Tibbetts was born in 1948 in Somerville, New Jersey where she spent the majority of her childhood. After high school, she enrolled at the University of Missouri where she received a degree in journalism. It was only after she moved to Atlanta that she parlayed her work in journalism into political activism and implemented her investigative journalism skills to research and write on social, political and cultural issues. While living in Tifton, Georgia, Tibbetts was asked to help organize the ERA campaign in South Georgia. From 1972-1978, Tibbetts worked for the Georgia Association of Educators, producing many publications, including statewide news releases, pamphlets, manuals, and training educators throughout the state. In 1978, she founded her own business, Tibbetts Communications, a marketing and public relations firm with an emphasis on community development, the arts, tourism and travel, and non-profit organizational development. Throughout her years in Georgia, she has chaired numerous community organizations and also helped to support the arts in Tift County. In 2003, Tibbetts received the First Place Award in the Domestic Newspaper Category by the North American Travel Journalists Association for her travel feature on the Lewis and Clark Trail.
1 Linear Feet (in 3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Throughout her years in Georgia, Christine Tibbetts has chaired numerous community organizations and also helped to support the arts in Tift County. Comprised of correspondence, newspaper clippings, pamphlets, newsletters, posters, drafts and photographs from 1974 to 2000, the papers document Tibbetts' work with the National Women's Political Caucus, Women's Equity Action League, American Association of University Women, Georgia Association of Education and Georgia Women's Political Caucus.
Donated by Christine Tibbetts, 2000.
Several items have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.
Separated to Women's Printed Collection: Spec Books, see online catalog for access
- National Directory of Women Elected Officials 1985, 1985
Separated to Women's Printed Collection: Pamphlets (W-Pamphlets) see finding aid for access
- "Factsheet on Women: Women's Political Progress." Community Services, American Council of Life Insurance in collaboration with the National Women's Political Caucus, January 1983 (2 copies). [Women legislators--United States]
- "Georgia Women: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow." American Association of University Women, Georgia State Division. [Women--Georgia]
- "Politics is Our Middle Name." Georgia Women's Political Caucus. [Georgia Women's Political Caucus]
- "Where Were the Women? A Celebration of Savannah and Coastal Area Women." American Association of University Women, Savannah Branch. [Women--Georgia]
- "The Women's Vote: Beyond the Nineteenth Amendment." League of Women Voters Education Fund, 1983. [Women--Suffrage]
Separated to Women's Printed Collection: Periodicals (W-Periodicals), see finding aid or online catalog for access
- Women's Political Reporter, Vol. 3 No. 2, June 1983
- WWR Weal Washington Report, Vol. 13 No. 3, June/July 1984
- Women's Political Times, Vol. 7 No. 5, December 1982; Vol. 8 No. 2, February 1983; Vol. 8 No. 4, July/August 1983; Vol. 9 No. 1, January/February 1984Vol. 10 No. 3, July/August 1985
Processed by Jiling Yang at the item level, 2005. Files are arranged alphabetically, and clippings have been photocopied for preservation purposes. Artifacts and oversize materials have been separated and are listed at the end of the finding aid.
- Tibbetts, Christine, 1948- (Person)
- Christine Tibbetts:
- A Guide to Her Papers at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303