International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local Lodge 101 (Erie, Pa.) collection
Scope and Content of the Collection
The collection, 1896-1916, of Local Lodge 101, are composed principally of minutes that describe the challenges faced by the lodge during its early years that was reflected in the steel and mold industry. Also included are dues books that note members and dues paid.
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. Local Lodge 101 (Erie, Pa.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
On April 1, 1890, the Erie machinists received a charter, Local Lodge 4081, from the American Federation of Labor; three months later, this group was re-organized under a charter issued to Local Lodge 101, by the National Association of Machinists. W. F. Young was elected the first Master Machinist. The local was re-chartered in August 1896 as a contract lodge and then re-organized in May 1901 after disbanding in February 1901.
The Local participated in several strikes during their history including a bitter strike in 1913 when molders in Erie went out on strike.
Black lists kept members of Local Lodge 101 out of work. Then in 1919 all segments of organized labor in Erie were asked to help strikers in the steel industry. By 1936-1937, the LaFollette Civil Liberties Committee heard testimony that revealed the presence of
labor spies in the ranks of LL 101. Corporations hired
Spies all across the country. They were hired by the Pinkerton Detective Agency, and other agencies with the purpose of disrupting union business.
In 1942, the Laurel Auxiliary (Ladies Auxiliary) 304 became affiliated with Eire Lodge 101. During World War II, members from the Standard Stoker received the Army-Navy "E" for production excellence. This National Security Award was accepted in June 1944.
Local 101 celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2001.
0.75 Linear Feet (in 2 boxes)
Language of Materials
Erie machinists initially were chartered as an American Federation of Labor affiliate, then reorganized as National Association of Machinists' Local Lodge 101 (both in 1890). The local was re-chartered in August 1896, then re-organized in May 1901. The Records, 1896-1916, of Lodge 101 are composed principally of minutes and dues records.
The records are arranged into two series:
- Series I: Minutes, 1892-1916
- Series II: Dues/Membership Ledgers, 1902-1914
The material was originally given to the International Association and Aerospace Workers by Local Lodge 101. The IAM then donated the collection to Georgia State University, June 2003.
Processed by Pam Hackbart-Dean at the file level, 2003.
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local Lodge 101 (Erie, Pennsylvania):
- A Guide to Its Collection at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description