Vicki McLennan papers
Scope and Content of the Papers
Printed material, notes and other writings, correspondence, legal documents, minutes and agendas, financial records, photographic prints and textiles make up Vicki McLennan's records of her activities as an activist, lobbyist, organizer, and administrator. The papers document McLennan's role in debates over welfare reform (bulk 1992-1993), child support and custody (bulk 1993-1995), and domestic violence in Georgia. In addition, the papers include correspondence, minutes, legal documents, and financial records related to Georgia NOW, particularly to the organization's Political Action Committee.
- Majority of material found within 1992 - 1999
- McLennan, Vicki Anne (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use. Access to some items in Series I is restricted for 75 years from the date of creation except in redacted form.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biography of Vicki Anne McLennan
Vicki Anne McLennan, a lobbyist for non-profit organizations, public policy analyst, and political consultant, began her lobbying career in 1985. She became an expert on family, health, welfare, and environmental policy and law in Georgia. McLennan had a long association with the Georgia chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW), serving as president (1993-1997), lobbyist (1990-2000), and public policy advisor. She was director of the Georgia Public Assistance Coalition and lobbied for the Georgia Environmental Council. McLennan also advised political candidates.
A single mother and grandmother, Vicki McLennan is an Atlanta native who attended Georgia State University.
2.75 Linear Feet (in 8 boxes)
Language of Materials
Vicki Anne McLennan, a lobbyist for non-profit organizations, public policy analyst, and political consultant, began her lobbying career in 1985. Printed material, notes and other writings, correspondence, legal documents, minutes and agendas, financial records, photographic prints and textiles make up Vicki McLennan's records of her activities as an activist, lobbyist, organizer, and administrator.
Organization of the Papers
Organized into two series:
- Series I: Textual records and photographs, 1979-2000 (bulk 1992-1999)
- Subseries A: Child support and child custody files
- Subseries B: Welfare reform files
- Subseries C: Domestic violence files
- Subseries D: Subject files
- Subseries E: National Organization for Women Georgia chapter [Georgia NOW] files
- Series II: Textiles, ca. 1994; 1997; undated
Newspaper clippings and some manuscript items were photocopied or transcribed for preservation purposes.
Donated by Vicki McLennan, April 2000.
Several items have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.
Separated to Women's Printed Collection: Periodicals (W-Periodicals), see finding aid or online catalog for access
- Athens Area and UGA NOW Update, April 1997
- Atlanta NOW News, January/February, July/August, September/October 1994; May/June, July/August, September/October 1996
- Contract with Women of the USA State Legislative Report, April/May, July/August 1996
- DeKalb NOW News, January 10, February 4, 1992
- Georgia Feminist, Spring 1991; Fall 1993; Fall 1994; Summer, Election 1996; January 1997
- Georgians for Choice Report, Fall 1993
- Greater Columbia NOW, February 1993
- Ms. (vol. 6, no. 6), May/June 1996
Separated to Women's Printed Collection: Pamphlets (W-Pamphlets) see finding aid for access
- "1998 Women’s Assembly," 1997 [Political participation]
- "Center for Women Policy Studies," 1996 [Center for Women Policy Studies]
- "Design and Issuance of Family Violence Protective Orders in Georgia from the Perspective of Clerks of the Superior Courts and Agencies that Serve Victims" (Martha A. Griffith, et al.), 1998 [Family violence]
- "Georgia Feminist," September 1997 (incomplete copy) [National Organization for Women--Georgia chapter]
- "Georgia Women's Health Survey, Topics on Reproductive Health," 1995 [Reproductive health]
- "Hate Crimes: ADL Blueprint for Action" (Anti-Defamation League), 1997 [Hate crimes]
- "Hate Crimes Laws" (Anti-Defamation League), 1997 [Hate crimes]
- "The Hidden Epidemic: Confronting Sexually Transmitted Diseases," 1997 [Sexually transmitted diseases]
- "Manual Vacuum Aspiration: A Summary of Clinical and Programmatic Experience Worldwide" (Forrest C. Greenslade, et al.), 1993 [Abortion]
- "National Abortion Federation 21st Annual Meeting," 1997 [National Abortion Federation (U.S.)]
- "Nancy Schaefer: Elect A New Lt. Governor,"  [Women in politics]
- "NOW Legal Defense Fund and Education Fund, Q & A on Women and Welfare: Reproductive Rights," undated [Reproductive rights]
- "Trapped by Poverty Trapped by Abuse: New Evidence Documenting the Relationship between Domestic Violence and Welfare," 1997 [Domestic violence]
Separated to Women's Printed Collection: Spec Books, see online catalog for access
- Anne D. Lopatto and James C. Neely, editors, Lawyer’s Manual on Domestic Violence: Representing the Victim, Supreme Court of the State of New York, Appellate Division, First Department [unofficial publication], 1995
Processed by William W. Hardesty at the item level, July 2004. McLennan's papers arrived at the repository organized in subject groupings. During processing, files were created and titled. Newspaper clippings and some manuscript items were photocopied or transcribed for preservation purposes.
- McLennan, Vicki Anne (Person)
- Vicki McLennan:
- A Guide to Her Papers at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- July 2003
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303