United Auto Workers, Local Lodge 868 (Atlanta, Ga.) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The collection consists the records of United Auto Workers Local 868, 1950-1984. The majority of the files span 1970-1984 and consist of correspondence, finances, grievances, and negotiations. Correspondence is from the UAW headquarters and various levels of the Chrysler Corporation. The negotiation files include negotiations relating to contract renewals and grievance appeals. Artifacts in the collection consist of stickers, bumper stickers, awards, and plaques.
- Creation: 1950-1984
- International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 868 (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
- International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 868 (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use. Access to some items is restricted for 75 years from the date of creation. Box 20 contains papers from series I through III that have social security numbers and member information and are restricted.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
United Auto Worker Local Lodge 868 was a part of the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implementation Workers of America (UAW). Local 868 was located in Atlanta, Georgia and its members were employees of Chrysler Corporation, Parts Division which closed in October 1984.
8.5 Linear Feet (in 20 boxes)
Language of Materials
International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace, and Agricultural Implementation Workers of America, Local Lodge 868 was located in Atlanta, Georgia and its members were employees of Chrysler Corporation, Parts Division which closed in October 1984. The records of Local 868, 1970-1984, consist of correspondence, finances, grievances, and negotiations, as well as artifacts.
The records are arranged into five series:
- Series I: Office Files, 1954-1984
- Series II: Financial Files, 1947-1983
- Series III: Negotiations and Arbitration, 1969-1984
- Series IV: Artifacts, 1970-1984
- Series V: Restricted Files
Donated by UAW International Representative Clarence L. Williams, October 1984.
Processed by DeAnna L. Janecek at the file level, March-April 2003. During processing, records containing personal information were separated to a restricted location. See Detailed Description of the Collection.
- United Auto Workers (UAW), Local Lodge 868 (Atlanta, Georgia):
- A Guide to the Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description