Charles M. Houk papers
Scope and Content of the Papers
The collection consists of the papers of Charles M. Houk from 1939-1965. Includes personal correspondence (1951-1964), correspondence relating to the Tennessee Committee on Political Education (COPE), and some correspondence between Houk and Senator Estes Kefauver (1946-1961). Additional records relating to the Tennessee State Labor Council include financial records including annual statements and audits (1956-1963), minutes, legislative reports (1939-1961), convention files, and newspaper clippings. Additional records pertaining to the Tennessee Committee on Political Education document the Committee's involvement in monitoring various political campaigns at both the state and national level.
- Creation: 1939-1965
- Houk, Charles M. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biography of Charles M. Houk
Charles M. Houk served as Secretary-Treasurer, Tennessee Federation of Labor; Treasurer, Tennessee State Labor Council, 1956-1963; Director, Tennessee State Labor Council, Committee on Political Education (COPE), 1956-1963.
1 Linear Feet (in 3 boxes)
Language of Materials
Charles M. Houk held many prominent labor positions in Tennessee from 1956 through 1963. His papers include correspondence, financial documents, minutes, and legislative reports relating to the Tennessee Committee on Political Education and the Tennessee State Labor Council.
Arrangement of the Papers
- Series I. Correspondence, 1946-1964
- Series II. Financial documents, 1956-1963
- Series III. Minutes, 1950-1954; 1963
- Series IV. Legislative reports, 1939-1961
- Series V. Subject files, 1947-1965
Donated by Charles Houk, March 19, 1982.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Collections. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For constitutions and bylaws, consult Special Collections for access.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and Bylaws
- Merger agreement between the Executive Council of the Tennessee Federation of Labor and the Executive Board of the Tennessee State Industrial Union Council, 1955
- Tennessee State Labor Council, 1957
- Tennessee State Labor Council, 1959
- Tennessee State Labor Council, 1961
- Bylaws, Knoxville COPE, undated
- Bylaws, Nashville and Middle Tennessee COPE, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets
- Tennessee Department of Employment Security Dedication of the New Knoxville Employment Office, 1957
- Tennessee State Labor Council, AFL-CIO (Three pamphlets supporting Estes Kefauver for the Senate race, 1960. Factual information concerning the National Right to Work Committee, 1963.)
Southern Labor Archives Periodicals
- CIO Labor Journal, 1955
- East Tennessee Labor News, 1951-1963
- The Labor World, 1948-1964
- Memphis Union News, 1959-1963
- Trades and Labor News, 1951-1964
- West Tennessee Labor News, 1952; 1957
Inventoried by James B. Murray at the file level, August 29,1984.
- Charles M. Houk:
- A Guide to His Papers at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- August 1984
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description