International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 613 (Atlanta, Ga.) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The records, 1939-1977, of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 613 (Atlanta, GA.), consist primarily of correspondence, legal documents, and various membership items. The bulk of the correspondence is between Local 613's Business Manager, Harry Bexley, and the several departments of the IBEW international office. The membership items consist of applications for membership, injury reports, and lists of retired members. The legal documents, which constitute the bulk of the records, include correspondence pertaining to legal proceedings and EEOC litigation, 1961-1975. Much of the legal documentation concerns IBEW cases against the Georgia Power Company, 1945-1975, and the Southwire Company of Carrollton, GA., 1957-1970. The records also include a small series of minutes of meetings of the North Georgia Building and Construction Trades Council, with which Local 613 was affiliated.
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
IBEW Local Union 613 is an affiliate of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, a union born from the efforts of a St. Louis lineman, named Henry Miller. During the late 1800s, Brother Miller traveled to cities, across the U.S., working at the trade, and organizing the electrical workers he met and worked with into local unions. In 1891, 10 local unions met in a small room above Stolley’s Dance Hall in St. Louis, adopting the name of National Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and drafting our Constitution. The IBEW which began with less than 2,000 members, has grown to almost 800,000 strong. Instead of 10 local unions there are now nearly 1,000 local unions representing members in many fields, including Construction and Maintenance, Utility, Telecommunications, Railroad, Broadcasting and Recording, Manufacturing, and Government.
2.5 Linear Feet (in 6 boxes)
Language of Materials
Correspondence, legal documents, membership applications, injury reports, list of retired members, and other items. Includes material relating to legal proceedings against Georgia Power Company (1945-1975) and Southwire Company, Carrollton, Ga. (1957-1970); Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; and International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers; and minutes of North Georgia Building and Construction Trades Council. Correspondents include Harry Bexley, business manager, Local 613.
Donated by Harry Bexley, Business Manager IBEW Local 613, November 4, 1981.
The photographs in this collection may have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Collections. For photographs, see the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection finding aid. For contracts, see the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers contracts collection, 1937-2000 (L-contracts_IBEW) finding aid. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection
- Diamond Jubilee Anniversary Dinner, November 25, 1966
- Harry Baxley speaking at Gibert X. Barker, Sr. Testimonial Dinner, July 15, 1970
- Seven photos of picketers in front of Georgia Power Company Building, June 21, 1972
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Contracts Collection
- Contracts, 1974, 1950, 1953, 1954, 1957, 1960, 1963 1964, 1969, 1970, 1973 (2), 1974
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- Georgia Voter. [League of Women Voters] February-March, 1962
- Industrial Relations Monthly Newsletter. [Georgia Chamber of Commerce] May 1972
- Journal of Labor. [GA AFL-CIO and Atlanta Labor Council] November 9, 1962, February 14, 1964 January 21, 1966, February 11, 1966 July 24, 1970, October 2, 1970 January 19, 1973
- News Bulletin. [IBEW Local 613] March 1980, April 1980, May-June 1980 August-September 1980, October 1980 January 1981, March 1981, April 1981 August 1981, October 1981
- The Torch. [Georgia Dept of Labor] April 1973
- White Highlights. [White Electrical Construction Co.] Spring, 1973, Vol. 2.
Inventoried by Karen Bouffard Galbreath at the file level, May 26, 1982.
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Bexley, Harry
- Carrollton (Ga.)
- Construction workers
- Electric industry workers -- Labor unions
- Electric utilities
- Electricians -- Labor unions
- Georgia Power Company
- Industrial relations
- Industrial safety
- Labor union locals
- Southwire Company
- United States. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 613 (Atlanta, Georgia):
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- May 1982
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2001: EAD finding aid created by Apex Data Services.
- January 2006, 2007: EAD revised by William Hardesty.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303