Tennessee State Labor Council records
Scope and Content of the Records
The Records, 1937-1979, of the Tennessee State Labor Council consist of correspondence, literature on pending state legislation affecting labor, "state of the state" addresses of the Tennessee governors, and legislative bulletins and newsletters. The records also include material from various conferences participated in by council members, as well as programs and conferences sponsored by committees of the Council.
- Creation: 1937-1979
- AFL-CIO. Tennessee State Labor Council (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
The Tennessee AFL-CIO Labor Council is a federation that represents approximately 37 international unions, 273 different local unions and affiliations with a membership of over 60,000 Tennesseans. The council serves as an umbrella group that includes many unions in the area. They are the heart of the movement, partnering with state and community organizations and conducting state, local, and national campaigns to improve life for working families.
0.2 Linear Feet (in 4 folders)
Language of Materials
The Records, 1937-1979, of the Tennessee State Labor Council consist of correspondence, literature on pending state legislation affecting labor, "state of the state" addresses of the Tennessee governors, and legislative bulletins and newsletters.
Donated by Matthew Lynch, June 1981.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Collections. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For proceedings, consult Special Collectins for access.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- A Summary of the Appalachian Regional Development Act (AFL-CIO) [Appalacian Council], undated
- Labor Laws, State of Tennessee Department of Labor], July 1, 1961
- Legislative Reports, Tennessee State Labor Council, undated
- "Don't Get Garnished", Labor and Industrial Relations Center, Michigan State University, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Tennessee State Labor Council, 1963
- Fourth State Convention, 1965
- Seventh Biennial Convention, 1971
- Tenth Biennial Convention, 1977
- Eleventh Biennial Convention, 1979
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- Trades and Labor News, Nashville Labor Council, May and December 1963, February 1965
- Memphis Union News, AFL-CIO Memphis Labor Council, March 1964
- American Labor, ComCor Inc., 1968-1971
- Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, November 1963
- Viewpoint, AFL-CIO Industrial Union Department, Spring 1971
- Legislative Bulletin, Tennessee State Labor Council, 1951-1965
- Newsletter, Tennessee State Labor Council, 1975-1978
Processed by Wallace Washington at the file level, April 6, 1984. This collection guide was created from a legacy finding aid. The inventory's contents and storage locations of separated materials (if applicable) were not verified at that time.
- Tennessee State Labor Council:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description