Glass Bottle Blowers Association, Local 101 (East Point, Ga.) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The Records, 1954-1978, of the Glass Bottle Blowers Association, Local 101, (East Point, GA) comprise correspondence, grievances and related documentation, legal documents, minutes, contract negotiation materials, and printed items. These Records primarily describe the contractual relationship between Local 101 and the East Point Plant of the Owens-Illinois Company, and on the national level, between the GBBA and the Glass Container Manufacturers Institute. Principal correspondents are Local 101 President James Wilson, GBBA Area Director Joseph Cordery, and GBBA International Representative Joseph Pitts, and Owens-Illinois Industrial Relations Director Jim Hochuli. Some correspondence pertains to the nationwide strike against the Glass Manufacturers Institute in 1968 that was mediated by the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. The printed items include apprenticeship standards as well as some correspondence related to apprenticeship programs.
- Creation: 1954-1978
- Glass Bottle Blowers Association of the United States and Canada. Local 101 (East Point, Ga.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
The Glass Bottle Blowers' Association of the United States and Canada organized in 1868 as the Independent Druggist Ware Glass Blowers' League. In 1895, the union adopted its present title and affiliated with the AFL in 1899.
3.34 Linear Feet (in 8 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of records of Local 101 (East Point, Ga.) of the Glass Bottle Blowers Association (GBBA) of the United States and Canada from 1954-1978. The records reflect the union’s relationship with its principal employer, the Owens-Illinois Company’s East Point, Georgia plant. Includes correspondence (1957-1978) between the local and national union and Owens-Illinois; minutes (1964-1977); records relating to arbitration (1956-1977) and grievances (1962-1978); union and company contract proposals (1954-1965; 1970-1977); legal documents relating mainly to litigation between the local and Owens-Illinois; and some financial records. Of particular interest are records relating to the 1965 and 1968 strikes against the Glass Container Manufacturers Institute.
The records are arranged into seven series:
- Series I: Correspondence, 1958-1968
- Series II: Grievances, 1963-1978
- Series III: Legal Documents, 1974-1977
- Series IV: Printed Material, 1954-1978
- Series V: General, 1971, 1977, undated
- Series VI: Minutes, 1962-1977
- Series VII: Miscellaneous, 1966-1978
Donated by James Wilson, President Local 101 (East Point, GA), December 1, 1978. Addition to Series VII [L1993-02] donated by Robert Tidwell, January 26, 1993.
The photographs in this collection may have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For photographs, see the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection finding aid. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For contracts, constitutions, and proceedings consult Special Collections for access.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection
- 3 photographs of a GBBA-Owens-Illinois exhibit, Southeastern Fair (Atlanta), 1964
Separated to Agreements and Contracts Collection
- Georgia, Atlanta Local 101, 1966, 1976
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and By-laws Collection
- Georgia, Atlanta Local 101, 1959, 1964, 1971
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- American Labor Volume 3, No.2, February 1970
- AFL-CIO Legislative Action Bulletin Volume 7, No. 2, May 1963
- AFL-CIO Legislative Department Fact Sheets Numbers 2, 3, 1963
- Memo From Cope, January 1972
- Newsletter-Local Union No. 101 Volume 1, November 1973
- The Catalog Volume 1, No. 2, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- 6 pamphlets concerning: the Fair Labor Standards Act, Insurance and Ritual
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- GBBA Conventions Delegate lists, 1965, 1973
Inventoried by Alice Gernazian at the file level, January 16, 1979.
- Glass Bottle Blowers Association, Local 101 (East Point, Georgia) [L1978-30]:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- May 2023: Small addition [L1993-02, 3 items] added to Series VII