Harry T. Barber papers
Scope and Content of the Papers
The Papers, 1966-1973, of Harry T. Barber comprise correspondence, minutes, legal documents, and printed items related to Barber's career as Field Representative of the AFL-CIO. From 1967 to 1969 Barber organized new locals in Alabama, promoted the multi-union boycott of General Electric products in 1969, and worked closely with the Alabama Labor Council on many other issues. In 1970 Barber organized in the Tampa, Florida area, primarily as the AFL-CIO representative on the Disney World Service Trade Council. Principal correspondents are Directors of AFL-CIO Region 6, Charles Gillman, Oliver Singleton, and James Sala; AFL-CIO Director of Organization, William Kircher; President of the Alabama Labor Council, Barney Weeks; and President of the Hillsborough County (Florida) Central Labor Council, B.C. Parkers. The minutes describe one meeting of the Disney World Services Trades Council and three meetings of the Hillsborough County Central Labor Council.
- Barber, Harry T. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biographical Note on Harry T. Barber
Harry T. Barber (1917-1973). Member, Amalgamated Association of Street, Electric Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America, Local No. 1267, Miami, FL, 1941-1966; AFL-CIO Field Representative, Region VI, Alabama, 1967-1969, Florida, 1970-1973.
1.25 Linear Feet (in 3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of records relating to Harry T. Barber's career as Field Representative of the AFL-CIO Region VI from 1966-1973. Includes correspondence, minutes, legal documents, and printed material. Major correspondents include Directors of AFL-CIO Region VI Charles Gillman, Oliver Singleton, and James Sala; AFL-CIO Director of Organization, William Kircher; President of the Alabama Labor Council, Barney Weeks; and President of the Hillsborough County (Fla.) Central Labor Council, B.C. Parkers.
Donated by Mrs. H. T. Barber, June 27, 1978.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For contracts, constitutions, directories, proceedings and books, consult Special Collections for access.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Contracts and Agreements Collection
- MC and REU Local #719 and H.R.E.B.I.U. Operating Engineers Local #320 (Huntsville, AL)
- Service Trade Council Union (Disneyworld, FL)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions Collection
- Florida AFL-CIO and Florida State COPE, 1969
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Directories Collection
- AFL-CIO, Metal Trades Department, 1959
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- AFL-CIO, 1967 (illus.), 1968
- Catering Industry Employee, September 1972
- IUD News and Views, 1968
- Memo from COPE, May 1971-December 1972
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- Eighteen (18) pamphlets on following subjects: Executive order 11941, G.E. Strike, Nixon's economic program, Occupational health and safety, Philadelphia Plan, Right to Strike, "Right to Work" laws, National Labor Relations Board, Teenage Workers, UAW, United Rubber, Cork, Linoleum and Plastic Workers of America
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Alabama Labor Council, AFL-CIO convention, 1968
Separated to Special Collections Book Collection
- One (1) book - Organizing and the Law, Stephen Schlossberg
Inventoried by Debra K. Whatley at the file level, June 29, 1978.
- AFL-CIO. Alabama Labor Council
- Disney World Service Trade Council
- General Electric Company
- Hillsborough County Central Labor Council
- Labor leaders
- Labor leaders
- Labor unions -- Organizing
- Sala, James
- Singleton, Oliver W., 1908-1989
- Southern States
- Tampa (Fla.)
- Weeks, Barney H.
- minutes (administrative records)
- Harry T. Barber:
- A Guide to His Papers at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- June 29, 1978
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description