Chattanooga Area Labor Council records
Scope and Content of the Records
The Records, 1925, 1936, 1941-1972, of the Chattanooga Area Labor Council (CALC), comprise correspondence, minutes, financial statements, legal documents, membership data, contract negotiations, and printed items. The correspondence bulks after 1941 and includes labor leaders William Green, George Meany, and George Googe; many labor organizations; and prominent Tennessee politicians Estes Kefauver, Kenneth McKellar, Ross Bass, Gordon Browning, James B. Frazier, and P. R. Olgiati. The primary correspondent for the CALC is Stanton Smith, who served as Secretary-Treasurer from 1941 to 1956. Correspondence and minutes relate to local, state, and national elections; merger with the Chattanooga Industrial Union Council; abolition of the poll tax; Social Security; desegregation of public schools; the Taft-Hartley Act; the Tennessee Open Shop Law; the revision of the Tennessee Constitution; political education efforts; settlement of jurisdictional disputes among unions affiliated with the CALC; the Chattanooga Voters' Union; and civic interests in the Chattanooga area, such as adult and vocational education, the Community Chest, the Health Council, property tax reform, public housing, and rent control.
- Majority of material found within 1941 - 1972
- AFL-CIO. Chattanooga Area Labor Council (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Chattanooga Central Labor Union, AFL, Chattanooga Area Labor Council, AFL-CIO, following merger with Chattanooga Industrial Union Council, CIO, in 1956.
6 Linear Feet (in 16 boxes)
Language of Materials
Chattanooga Area Labor Council Records includes correspondence, minutes, financial documents, legal papers, and printed materials, relating to the council, the merger of Chattanooga Industrial Union Council into it, politics, union elections, abolition of the poll tax, desegregation of public schools, Taft-Hartley Act, Tennessee laws concerning open and closed shops, Chattanooga Voters' Union, revision of the Tennessee State Constitution, and political education. Correspondents include Ross Bass, Gordon Browning, James Beriah Frazier, George Logan Googe, Estes Kefauver, Kenneth Douglas McKellar, George Meany, P.R. Olgiati, and Stanton E. Smith.
The records are arranged into fourteen series:
- Series I: AFL, 1925, 1941-1956
- Series II: AFL-CIO, 1956-1972
- Series III: General (alphabetical), 1936-1972
- Series IV: Chattanooga Area Labor Council, Committee on Political Educational (COPE), 1948-1971
- Series V: Elections, 1948-1971
- Series VI: Minutes, 1934-1973
- Series VII: Financial Documents, 1941-1962
- Series VIII: CALC Committee Files, 1944-1965
- Series IX: Subject Files (alphabetical), 1939-1970
- Series X: Negotiation Files (alphabetical by union), 1942-1961
- Series XI: Membership Data Files, 1941-1972
- Series XII: Printed Material, 1941-1973
- Series XIII: Activity Reports and Expenses, 1945-1950
- Series XIV: Chattanooga Labor Council Organizers, Miscellaneous, 1940-1970
Donated by the Chattanooga Area Labor Council, courtesy of Stanton E. Smith, July 1977.
Processed by Robert Dinwiddie at the file level, June 1979.
- Central labor councils
- Chattanooga (Tenn.)
- Chattanooga Industrial Union Council
- Chattanooga Voters' Union
- Googe, George Logan
- Industrial relations
- Kefauver, Estes
- Labor laws and legislation
- Labor unions -- Political activity
- McKellar, Kenneth Douglas, 1869-1957
- Meany, George, 1894-1980
- Poll tax -- Law and legislation
- School integration
- Smith, Stanton E. (Stanton Everett), 1905-
- United States. Labor Management Relations Act, 1947
- Chattanooga Area Labor Council:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description