South Carolina Labor Council records
Scope and Content of the Records.
The records, 1950-1972, of the South Carolina Labor Council, AFL-CIO, consist mainly of correspondence. Prominent correspondents are Earle Britton, retiring Federation president; Sinway Young, President of the Council; and C. O. (Sparky) Williamson, a member of the Executive Board. The Council supported legislation concerning membership solicitation and workmen's compensation; held annual conventions; and sponsored an essay contest on employment of the handicapped. A limited amount of material describes a 1960 controversy between the South Carolina Labor Council and the Southern State Apprenticeship Conference over an allegation by the Council that the SSAC discriminated against blacks.
- AFL-CIO. South Carolina Labor Council (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original.
Biography of Sinway Young
Sinway Young was was the business manager of IBEW Local 382, Vice-President of the South Carolina Federation of Labor and, President of the South Carolina Labor Council.
0.93 Linear Feet (in 2 boxes)
Language of Materials
The records, 1950-1972, of the South Carolina Labor Council, AFL-CIO, consist mainly of correspondence.
Donated by South Carolina Labor Council, courtesy of Sinway Young, July 9, 1976.
The photograph in this collection has been digitized and is available online at Georgia State University Library's Digital Collections.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For photographs, see the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection finding aid. For constitutions, agreements, and proceedings constult Special Collections for access.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitution and By-laws Collection
- South Carolina State COPE, 1955
- South Carolina Labor Council, undated
- South Carolina COPE, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Agreements Collection
- South Carolina Federation of Labor and South Carolina State Industrial Union Council, 1956
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
- Four pamphlets concerning labor's program for America, ethical practices, and a union scholarship program
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- South Carolina Federation of Labor, 1941-1957
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Photograph Collection
- Photograph of Frank Hursey, winner of the "Ability Counts" essay contest, 1962
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodical Collection
- South Carolina Federationist
- AFL-CIO COPE Report, May 1957
- AFL-CIO Department of Legislation, Action Bulletin, 1957; 1963
- AFL-CIO Department of Legislation, Fact Sheet, 1963
- AFL-CIO Social Security Department, Legislative Notes, 1962
- Florida AFL-CIO, Form Mailings, 1964
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Oversize Collection
- State Unemployment Insurance Laws, 1962
- Newspaper Clippings, 1957-1964
Processed by Alice Gernazian at the file level, 1976. This collection guide was created from a legacy finding aid. The inventory's contents and storage locations of separated materials (if applicable) were not verified at that time.
- South Carolina Labor Council:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- February 16, 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- February 2011: EAD created by Harold Victor Hansen, Jr. from a legacy finding aid.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303