John E. Jervis papers
Scope and Content of the Records
The collection includes the original minutes of the founding years of Local 384 (Asheville, N.C.) of the Carpenters Union from 1888 to 1891. These minutes detail their campaign to win the 9-hour workday during this period. Also included are the original minutes of the Asheville Central Labor Union from 1917 to 1919 containing several references to Samuel Gompers and the A.F. of L. The bulk of the collection is composed of minutes, legal documents, printed flyers and handbills, photographs and correspondence relating to the activities of the Central Labor Union from 1958 to 1974.
- Creation: 1888-1974
- Creation: Majority of material found within 1958 - 1974
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
John Elwood Jervis (1909-1984), President Asheville Central Labor Union (1950-1976) and member, United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 384, born in Marshall, North Carolina. President, Asheville Central Labor Union 1958(?)-1974(?) Member Carpenters' Union, United Textile Workers of America
0.42 Linear Feet (in 11 folders)
Language of Materials
John Elwood Jervis (1909-1984), born in Marshall, North Carolina, was President Asheville Central Labor Union (1950-1976) and member, United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 384. The collection, 1888-1974 (bulk 1958-1974), contains minutes (1917-1919, 1961, 1965), legal documents, printed flyers, handbills, photographs, and correspondence relating to the activities of the Asheville Central Labor Union (Asheville, N.C.). Also included in the collection are the original minutes of the founding years (1888-1891) of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Local 384 (Asheville, N.C.), and records of the North Carolina State Federation of Labor.
The papers are arranged into three series: Series I: Carpenters Union Local 384 (Asheville), 1888-1891, Series II: North Carolina State Federation of Labor, 1921, 1948, Series III: Asheville Central Labor Union, 1917-1921, 1958-1974
Donated by John E. Jervis, November 18, 1974.
The photographs in this collection may have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For photographs, see the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection finding aid. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid or catalog. For contracts, see the Meat workers contracts collection finding aid. For oversize, constitutions and bylaws, directories, monographs, and proceedings
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Photographic Collection
- CLU officials and others, 1969, 1971, 1973, undated (9 photographs)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Oversize Collection
- North Carolina Coalition Founding Paper, 1972 (2 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Contracts and Agreements Collection
- Meatcutters Local 525, 1972-1974
- Meatcutters Local 1272, 1963-1965
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and By-laws Collection
- Meatcutters International, 1972
- Meatcutters Local 525, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Directories Collection
- Labor Organizations of Western North Carolina, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
- 45 (408 leaves) pamphlets concerning COPE and other AFL-CIO activities, strike bulletins, senior citizens, vocational education, League to Enforce Peace.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- [North] Carolina Labor News, Western edition (Asheville), undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO Convention, Resolutions, 1971
- Meatcutters' Civil Rights Conference, 1971
Transferred to Special Collections Book holdings
- Philip Foner, The Fur and Leatherworkers Union
Inventoried by Joe C. Nelson at the file level, January 22, 1975.
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America. Local 384 (Asheville, N.C.) (Organization)
- North Carolina State Federation of Labor (Organization)
- AFL-CIO. Asheville Central Labor Council (Asheville, N.C.) (Organization)
- John E. Jervis:
- A Guide to His Papers at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- June 2001
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description