Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America, Local 525 (Asheville, N.C.) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America, Local 525 (Asheville, N.C.) Records, 1957-1974, consist of correspondence (1961-1973) with national union officials and among intra-union sections; Executive Board Minutes (1967-1973); financial documents (1962-1973) including statements, receipts, and salary payments; organizer's weekly reports (1968); and legal documents (1972). The bulk of the collection consists of company files (1957-1975) relating to various companies mainly in North Carolina holding union contracts, particularly Holly Farms, Rose Hill Poultry Companies, A & P Tea Company, B & B Poultry Company, Colonial Stores and Webster Foods, Inc. The collection also contains general files documenting the local's relationship with the AFL-CIO, the Asheville Central Labor Union, and the North Carolina Labor Council.
- Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America. Local 525 (Asheville, N.C.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Unrestricted access. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original.
History of Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America, Local 525 (Asheville, N.C.)
The Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America, Local 525 (Asheville, N.C.) were affiliated with the Meat, Food, and Allied Workers Union and the Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America. It claimed jurisdiction over both wholesale and retail poultry workers in the Carolinas, Virginia and Georgia.
8 Linear Feet (in 18 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America, Local 525 (Asheville, N.C.) Records, 1957-1975, consist of correspondence, financial reports, minutes, newspaper clippings, National Labor Relations Board case material, and contracts illuminating the activities of Local 525 in its dealings with numerous companies, primarily in North Carolina.
Donated by John Jervis on June 3, 1974 (L1974-30) and December 1, 1975 (L1975-41).
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For photographs, see the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection finding aid. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid or catalog. For contracts, see the Meat workers contracts collection finding aid. For constitutions and bylaws and proceedings, consult archivist.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America, AFL-CIO, Executive Board Meeting, October 16-17, 1963
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO. Convention Report, 1970-1971
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO, Convention Resolutions, 1971
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO, Convention Resolutions, 1973
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO, Convention Resolutions, 1974
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- Forty-three (43) pamphlets concerning organizing, civil rights, the AFL-CIO, various industries, union affairs, youth and the job market, labor films, voter registration, political action, foreign policy, Taft-Hartley, labor-management cooperation, AFL-CIO Local Central Bodies, and pension funds.
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and By-Laws Collection
- Amalgamated Meat Cutters of and Butcher Workmen of North Carolina, 1968
- Asheville Central Labor Union, AFL-CIO, 1974
- Asheville Central Labor Union, undated
- Local Central Bodies, AFL-CIO, 1966
- Meat, Food, and Allied Workers, Local 525, undated
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection
- Twenty-three (23) photographs, 1957, 1967, undated. Rose Hill Poultry Company Pickets; Local 525 Parade; Registration; Annual Convention.
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Periodical Collection
- IUD Digest, Industrial Union Department, AFL-CIO, Fall 1962
- Viewpoint, Industrial Union Department, AFL-CIO, Spring 1973
- Maritime, Marine Trades Department, AFL-CIO, April 1969; July-September 1971
- The Bricklayer, Mason, and Plasterer, July 1970
- The Butcher Workman, September 1967; November-December 1969; January-February 1970
- Retail Clerks Advocate, June-July 1975
- Poultry Meat, April 1969, August 1971
- Ullico Bulletin, Union Labor Life Insurance Co., May 1969
- Hard Hat, Riggers and Machinery Erectors Union, Local 575, Detroit, Michigan, July 1973
- Health and Welfare Newsletter, Group Health Association of America, April-July 1960
- Liberty, North Carolina Civil Liberties Union, December 1973
- Local 434 Bulletin, Hebrew Butcher Workers Union, Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen, Fall 1960
- Local 525 News, Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen, Local 525, 1964-1974
- Meatcutters News, Meatcutters Local 525, January 1963; August 1963; October 1963; February 1964
- Memo from COPE, Committee on Political Education, AFL-CIO, 1966-1975
- News and Views, Charlotte, North Carolina Office, Industrial Union Department, AFL-CIO, June 1966
- North Carolina Labor and Industry, North Carolina Department of Labor, July-August 1974
- Northern California Labor, San Francisco Labor Council, April 12, 1974
- The Plumb Line, Barbers, Beauticians, and Allied Industries International Association, Vol. 4, No. 26
- Spotlight on Health Safety, Industrial Union Department, AFL-CIO, Fourth Quarter 1974
- Union Labor Report, Bureau of National Affairs, July 24, 1969
- Wire Tap, Communications Workers of America, Local 3603, March 1969
- Affiliate, Metro Baltimore Council, AFL-CIO, March 1970
- Asheville News, September 15, 1967
- Elkin Tribune, (Elkin, N.C.), May 12, 1969
- Human Events, Washington, D.C., April 8 and 15, 1972
- The Labor Advocate, (Asheville, N.C.), 1966-1974
- Metrolina Union News, Charlotte Labor Council, December 1971
- The Paperworker, October 16, 1972; April 1975
- Public Employee, September 1974
- Service Union Reporter, California State Council of Service Employees International Union, March 1974
- Union Reporter, Amalgamated Food and Allied Workers Union, Local 56, December 1969
- The Wallace Enterprise, February 28, 1972
- Western North Carolina Labor News, Education and Welfare Committee, Asheville Central Labor Union, September 1962
Processed by R. L. Smith at the file level. This collection guide was created from a legacy finding aid. The inventory's contents and storage locations of separated materials (if applicable) were not verified at that time.
- AFL-CIO. Asheville Central Labor Council (Asheville, N.C.)
- Butchers -- Labor unions
- Colonial Stores Incorporated
- Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company
- Industrial relations
- Labor union locals
- Meat industry and trade
- North Carolina
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO
- Poultry industry
- minutes (administrative records)
- Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America, Local 525 (Asheville, N.C.):
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2009: EAD finding aid created by Traci JoLeigh Drummond.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303