International Molders and Allied Workers Union of North America, Local 324 (Anniston, Ala.) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The records, 1950-1967, of International Molders and Allied Workers Union of North America, Local 324 (Anniston, Al.), consist of correspondence, financial and legal documents, minutes and printed materials from Local 356 (white), and minutes from Local 414 (black). The records illuminate union-company differences over working conditions and hours, disputes with the international office over grievance settlement and organizing, problems with job jurisdiction between Locals 356 and 414, and the eventual merger of the two locals. Local 356 (White), under pressure from the Federal Government and the International office, in 1967 agreed to merge with the African-American Local 414 that was in the same city and held similar contracts.
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Historical Note about the International Molders and Foundry Workers Union of North America
In the years prior to the American Civil War existing organization of workers in the iron industry was established on the basis of independent local groups. In 1859, there came a move to forming a national organization in the United States, and the Iron Molders' Union was established at a convention held in Philadelphia on July 5. The first national convention was attended by 35 delegates, representing local iron molders organizations located throughout the Northeast and as far West as St. Louis. William C. Rea of Missouri was elected the first president of the organization and a committee of five headed by William H. Sylvis of Pennsylvania was appointed to prepare a declaration to the iron workers of America. The Molders' Union initially took the form of a loose federation of already existing local organizations, each retaining almost complete autonomy. Initial dues were set by the organization at $10 per local with an additional $10 per delegate sent to the national convention. This proved insufficient and in 1860 per capita dues were initiated at the rate of 5 cents per member per year. This still proved insufficient for the maintenance of a central office and dues were hiked in 1867 to 50 cents per quarter per member and again in 1872 to 25 cents per month. The organization grew rapidly during the years of the Civil War, with non-union journeymen joining in great numbers. By 1866, the Iron Molders' Union touted 137 locals with a total membership of just under 10,000.
1.25 Linear Feet (in 3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The guide to this collection has been created from one of the Southern Labor Archives' legacy finding aids, which has not been updated since the time of processing.
Donated by H.H. Key in 1973.
The photographs in this collection may have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid or catalog. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For photographs, see the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection finding aid. For contracts and agreements, see the International Molders and Foundry Workers Union of North America contract collection finding aid. For proceedings and constitutions and bylaws, consult archivist.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- Union Labor News, Birmingham, Al., October 1966
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- International Molders and Foundry Workers, 33rd Convention, 1961
- International Molders and Foundry Workers, 34th Convention, 1966
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Photograph Collection
- International Molders and Foundry Workers Union 32nd Convention, Toronto Canada, 1956
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
- 20 Pamphlets, filed by publisher, concerning the AFL-CIO's Committee on Political Education
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Contracts and Agreements Collection
- International Molders and Allied Workers Union Local 324 (Annitson, Alabama), 1950, 1953, 1955, 1957, 1960, 1962, 1965
- International Molders and Allied Workers Union Local 356 and 414, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1966
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitution and By-Laws Collection
- International Molders and Foundry Workers Union, 1956
- International Molders and Allied Workers Union, 1961
- Anniston Al. Labor Council, AFL-CIO, 1957
- International Molders and Allied Workers Union Alabama Conference Board, 1962
- International Molders and Foundry Workers Union, Local 356 (Anniston Al.), 1959
Processed by Robert Dinwiddie, 1973.
This collection guide was created from a legacy finding aid. The inventory's contents and storage locations of separated materials (if applicable) were not verified at that time.
- AFL-CIO. Anniston Labor Council (Anniston Ala.)
- Anniston (Ala.)
- Civil rights movements
- International Molders and Allied Workers Union
- International Molders and Allied Workers Union. Local 414 (Anniston, Ala.)
- Iron molders -- Labor unions
- Labor union locals
- Labor unions -- Jurisdictional disputes
- M & H Valve and Fittings Company
- Metal-workers -- Labor unions
- International Molders and Allied Workers Union of North America, Local 324 (Anniston, Ala.):
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303