United Auto Workers, Local 882 (Atlanta, Ga.) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The collection consists of the records of Local 882 (Atlanta, Ga.) of the International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America from 1947-1968. The records include minutes and resolutions (1947-1964), correspondence relating to political and union activities (1949-1966), financial material comprised mostly of audits (1948-1968), membership records (1956-1968), and records relating to the Union Hall dedication (1955-1956). The majority of the collection contains files relating to disputes or grievances mainly with its primary employer, the Ford Motor Company, Hapeville, Georgia (1953-1968). Also includes material relating to the union's interaction with the International (1949-1966), the National Labor Relations Board (1947-1959), the Georgia State AFL-CIO (1960-1962), the Atlanta Labor Council (1960-1963), and the Greater Atlanta Citizenship Council (1952-1953).
- International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 882 (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Organized in 1935 as the United Automobile Workers of America International Union, it adopted its present name in 1945, when it merged with the United Farm Equipment and Metal Workers of America. UAW 882 represented workers at Ford Motor Company's plant in Hapeville, Georgia.
2.6 Linear Feet (in 6 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of the records of Local 882 (Atlanta, Ga.) of the International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America from 1947-1968. The records include minutes and resolutions, correspondence, financial material, membership records, and records relating to the Union Hall dedication. The majority of the collection contains files relating to disputes or grievances mainly with the local's primary employer, the Ford Motor Company, Hapeville, Georgia.
Organization of the Records
Organized into eleven series: (1) Minutes, (2) Correspondence, (3) Financial records, (4) Disputes, (5) Membership, (6) Union Hall dedication, (7) United Autoworkers of America, (8) National Labor Relations Board, (9) Georgia State AFL-CIO, (10) Atlanta Labor Council, and (11) Greater Atlanta Citizenship Council.
Donated by United Auto Workers, Local 882, June 15, 1972.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For agreements, see the United Auto Workers contract collection finding aid. For pamphlets see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets collection finding aid (this collection has been weeded). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid. For Constitutions and bylaws consult archivist.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Agreements Collection
- Auto Workers Local 882 (Hapeville, Ga.), 1948-1958 (61 leaves)
- Auto Workers Local 249 (Kansas City, Mo.), 1950 (2 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and By-laws Collection
- United Auto Workers Local 882 (Hapeville, Ga.), 1949, 1953, 1954, 1957, undated (51 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
- Ford, UAW, NLRB pamphlets on jobs, strikes, guaranteed annual wage, 1953-1961 (67 leaves)
- Senior Citizens National Council, COPE, list of mediation agencies, 1961, undated (11 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodical Collection
- National Ford Department, 1962 (2 leaves)
- Industrial Housekeeping, 1958-1959 (21 leaves)
- UAW Solidarity, 1967 (8 leaves, oversize)
Processed by E. L. Eltzroth at the file level, circa August 1972.
- AFL-CIO. Atlanta Labor Council
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Automobile industry workers -- Labor unions
- Automobile mechanics
- Ford Motor Company
- Georgia State AFL-CIO
- Greater Atlanta Citizenship Council
- Grievance arbitration
- Hapeville (Ga.)
- Labor union locals
- financial records
- membership lists
- minutes (administrative records)
- United Auto Workers (UAW), Local 882 (Atlanta, Georgia):
- A Guide to the Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- August 1972
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description