United Auto Workers, Local 882 (Atlanta, Ga.) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The collection consists of the records of Local 882 (Atlanta, Ga.) of the International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America from 1947-1968. The records include minutes and resolutions (1947-1964), correspondence relating to political and union activities (1949-1966), financial material comprised mostly of audits (1948-1968), membership records (1956-1968), and records relating to the Union Hall dedication (1955-1956). The majority of the collection contains files relating to disputes or grievances mainly with its primary employer, the Ford Motor Company, Hapeville, Georgia (1953-1968). Also includes material relating to the union's interaction with the International (1949-1966), the National Labor Relations Board (1947-1959), the Georgia State AFL-CIO (1960-1962), the Atlanta Labor Council (1960-1963), and the Greater Atlanta Citizenship Council (1952-1953).
- 1947 - 1968
- International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America. Local 882 (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
Organized in 1935 as the United Automobile Workers of America International Union, it adopted its present name in 1945, when it merged with the United Farm Equipment and Metal Workers of America. UAW 882 represented workers at Ford Motor Company's plant in Hapeville, Georgia.
2.6 Linear Feet (in 6 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of the records of Local 882 (Atlanta, Ga.) of the International Union, United Automobile, Aircraft, and Agricultural Implement Workers of America from 1947-1968. The records include minutes and resolutions, correspondence, financial material, membership records, and records relating to the Union Hall dedication. The majority of the collection contains files relating to disputes or grievances mainly with the local's primary employer, the Ford Motor Company, Hapeville, Georgia.
Donated by United Auto Workers, Local 882, June 15, 1972.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For agreements, see the United Auto Workers contract collection finding aid. For pamphlets see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets collection finding aid (this collection has been weeded). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid. For Constitutions and bylaws consult archivist.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Agreements Collection
- Auto Workers Local 882 (Hapeville, Ga.), 1948-1958 (61 leaves)
- Auto Workers Local 249 (Kansas City, Mo.), 1950 (2 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and By-laws Collection
- United Auto Workers Local 882 (Hapeville, Ga.), 1949, 1953, 1954, 1957, undated (51 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
- Ford, UAW, NLRB pamphlets on jobs, strikes, guaranteed annual wage, 1953-1961 (67 leaves)
- Senior Citizens National Council, COPE, list of mediation agencies, 1961, undated (11 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodical Collection
- National Ford Department, 1962 (2 leaves)
- Industrial Housekeeping, 1958-1959 (21 leaves)
- UAW Solidarity, 1967 (8 leaves, oversize)
Processed by E. L. Eltzroth at the file level, circa August 1972.
- AFL-CIO. Atlanta Labor Council
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Automobile industry workers -- Labor unions
- Automobile mechanics
- Ford Motor Company
- Georgia State AFL-CIO
- Greater Atlanta Citizenship Council
- Grievance arbitration
- Hapeville (Ga.)
- Labor union locals
- financial records
- membership lists
- minutes (administrative records)
- United Auto Workers (UAW), Local 882 (Atlanta, Georgia):
- A Guide to the Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- August 1972
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2005, 2007: Electronic finding aid edited by William Hardesty.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303