Skip to main content

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, District Lodge 46 (Atlanta, Ga.) records

 Collection
Identifier: L1972-26

  • Staff Only

Scope and Content of the Records

The Records, 1937-1965, of the International Association of Machinists District Lodge 46 (Atlanta, Georgia) consist of office files of correspondence and legal documents arranged by company and concerning union recognition and contract arrangements.

Dates

  • 1937-1965

Creator

Restrictions on access

Collection is open for research use.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.

Historical Note

The United Machinists and Mechanical Engineers of America was founded in 1888. In 1889, the name was changed to National Association of Machinists. Two years later, it became known as the International Association of Machinists. Originally founded in Atlanta in 1888 as a trade union for railroad machinists, today the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers represents workers in a large and diverse number of fields. Over the course of the 20th century the machinists moved from representing railroad workers to machinists and others working for airlines and the aerospace industry. District Lodge 46 was located in Atlanta, Georgia.

Extent

1.75 Linear Feet (in 5 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract:

The collection consists of records of District Lodge 46 (Atlanta, Ga.) of the International Association of Machinists from 1937-1965. Consists primarily of correspondence and contracts relating to union recognition and contract negotiation.

Acquisition Information

Donated by the International Association of Machinists, District Lodge 46 (Atlanta, Ga.) in April 1972 (L1972-26) and August 21, 1980 (L1980-33)

Related Archival Materials

Georgia State University Library is the official repository for the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, and the collection includes the Grand Lodge records as well as numerous Local and District Lodges. Please see the IAMAW Research Guide for more collections. In addition, GSU Digital Collections includes complete, full-text runs of the Machinist Monthly Journal and the Machinists Newspaper available in GSU Digital Collections as well as numerous photographs and local publications from both the US and Canada.

Separated Materials

During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For contracts see the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers contracts collection, 1940-1992 (L-Contracts_IAMAW) finding aid. For photographs, see the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection finding aid. For Constitutions, consult archivist.

Separated to Southern Labor Archives Collections

  1. Constitutions and Bylaws Collection: Columbus, Georgia, 1958 (12 leaves)
  2. Agreements Collection: Atlanta, Georgia, 1951 (12 leaves)
  3. Photographic Collection: 1 photograph

Processing Information

Processed by Robert Dinwiddie at the file level in 1972 and Patricia Harris added the photograph in 1980.

Title
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, District Lodge 46 (Atlanta, Georgia):
Subtitle
A Guide to the Records at Georgia State University Library
Status
Completed
Author
Georgia State University Library
Date
1972, 1980
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
404-413-2880
404-413-2881 (Fax)