International Association of Machinists, Southeastern Regional Office of Education records
Manuals, correspondence, printed material, and notes describe political, vocational, and labor education in the Southern and Mid-Western states, Panama and Puerto Rico, 1947-1971. Course material from seminars on Machinists' leadership, officer, steward, and apprentice training includes histories of the International Union, strike procedures, and grievance investigations. Lists of participants are included, as is speech material from the office of the director.
Restrictions on Access
Unrestricted access. Oversize materials stored offsite, please allow 24 hours for retrieval.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
1.25 Linear Feet (in 3 boxes)
Manuals, correspondence, printed material, and notes describe political, vocational, and labor education in the Southern and Mid-Western states, Panama and Puerto Rico, 1947-1971.
William Clitheroe was Director of the Machinists Southeastern Regional Office of Education, 1969-1971.
Donated by William Clitheroe, February 23, 1972.
Separated Materials note
During processing, printed material was separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For agreements, see the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers contracts collection finding aid. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid or library catalog. For pamphlets see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets collection finding aid. For constitutions and bylaws, proceedings, or rules consult archivist.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Agreements Collection
- Georgia -- Marietta Local Union 709, 1965 (69 leaves)
- Virginia -- Portsmouth Metal Trades Council, 5th Naval District, 1964 (22 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and Bylaws Collection
- AFL-CIO, 1955 (25 leaves)
- Arkansas State Council of Machinists, undated (5 leaves)
- Florida, 1967 (2 leaves)
- Tennessee -- McMinnville Labor Union 169, 1964 (5 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- Action, 1969 (2 leaves)
- Citizen Planning, 1964 (2 leaves)
- Collective Bargaining Report, 1957 (8 leaves)
- Labor Education Newsletter, 1968-1969 (4 leaves)
- IAM Education Bulletin, 1967-1969 (9 leaves)
- Timely Topics, Local 921, 1967-1968, 1971 (6 leaves)
- Federal Machinists Newsletter, 1970 (1 leaf)
- Metaletter, 1970 (2 leaves)
- Labor's Economic Review, 1959 (4 leaves)
- Leadership schools, 1962, 1969 (6 leaves)
- AFL-CIO American Federationist, 1959 (16 leaves)
- AFL-CIO Education News and Views, 1960 (28 leaves)
- Catering Employee, 1962 (16 leaves)
- International Transport Workers Journal, 1960 (10 leaves)
- Machinists Monthly Journal, 1950, 1953, 1956 (54 leaves)
- Union Democracy in Action, 1962 (8 leaves)
- American Teacher, 1959 (41 leaves)
- Dodge Main News, 1959 (1 leaf)
- Thumbtack Journal, 1970 (2 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Southern Pulp and Paper Conference, 1958-1961 (52 leaves)
- Virginia Machinists Council, 1968 (17 leaves)
- Florida State Council of Machinists, 1970 (22 leaves)
- Convention of the Grand Lodge, 1948, 1952, 1956, 1960 (441 leaves)
- Arkansas State Council of Machinists, 1969 (12 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Standards and Rules Collection
- Assorted apprentice manuals and rulebooks (Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas), 1950-1953, 1964 (63 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- AFL-CIO: Assorted political from COPE and Legislative Department, 1964-1968 (300 leaves)
- AFL-CIO: Assorted unemployment and poverty pamphlets, 1964, undated (25 leaves)
- AFL-CIO: Assorted religion, public relations, labor education, undated (32 leaves)
- Non AFL-CIO: Assorted pamphlets of instructional, political, conference, and scholarship material from IAM, United States Government and other organizations (489 leaves)
Inventoried by E.L. Eltzroth, June 16, 1972. EAD finding aid created by Apex Data Services, June 2001. EAD revised by William Hardesty, 2005 and 2007.
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Southeastern Regional Office of Education:
- A Guide to Its Records at the Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- May 2001
- Language of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303