Alfred G. Kuettner collection
Scope and Content of the Collection
The Kuettner Collection consists principally of the Records, 1907-1916, of the Steam and Operating Engineers' Union Local 329, of Atlanta, Georgia. Though the financial and membership material comprises the bulk of these records, the correspondence, 1910-1916, describes the Union's involvement in local and state labor affairs, such as the textile workers strike of 1914, and local and state political situations involving Senator Hoke Smith, Georgia Governor Joe Brown, and political appointments. Included in the Kuettner Collection is a quantity of printed letters, minutes, and other documents, 1910-1916, from the International Steam and Operating Engineers Union. Form letters of the American Federation of Labor and the Georgia Federation of Labor, 1911-1916, and a few leaves of Kuettner's personal papers, 1902-1912, constitute the remainder of the Kuettner Collection.
- Creation: 1902-1916
- Kuettner, Alfred G. (Person)
Restrictions on access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Oversize material stored offsite, please allow 24 hours for retrieval.
Alfred G. Kuettner was Secretary of Steam and Operating Engineers' Union Local 329, Atlanta, Georgia, circa 1910-1915.
1.67 Linear Feet (in 4 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Alfred G. Kuettner Collection consists principally of the records, 1907-1916, of the Steam and Operating Engineers' Union Local 329, of Atlanta, Georgia. Kuettner was Secretary of Local 329, circa 1910-1915. The collection includes printed letters, minutes, and other documents, 1910-1916, from the International Steam and Operating Engineers Union; form letters of the American Federation of Labor and the Georgia Federation of Labor, 1911-1916, and a few leaves of Kuettner's personal papers, 1902-1912.
The Alfred G. Kuettner collection is divided into five series: Series I: Steam and Operating Engineers Union Local 329, 1907-1916 Series II: International Union of Steam and Operating Engineers, 1910-1916 Series III: Georgia Federation of Labor, 1913-1916 Series IV: American Federation of Labor, 1911, 1914 Series V: Alfred G. Kuettner Papers and Miscellaneous, 1902, 1909-1930
Oversize material stored offsite. Allow at least 2 working days for retrieval.
Donated by Alfred G. Kuettner, Jr., 1971, further donations in 1972 (L1972-39) and 1973 (L1973-37).
Separated Materials Note
During processing various materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. Please contact Special Collections for access. For Constitution and Bylaws and proceedings, consult archivist. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (This collection has been weeded).
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and Bylaws Collection
- Georgia Federation of Labor Constitution and Rules, 1912 (2 items, 16 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Georgia Federation of Labor, Convention Proceedings 1911-1912 (112 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
- Gompers, Mitchell, Morrison vs. Bucks Stove and Range Company, 1911 (8 leaves)
- Speech - Buchanan, 1915 (4 leaves)
- Union Label Trades Department - A.F.L., 1914 (34 leaves)
- A Plan - How to Use the Union Label, undated (4 leaves)
- Not Guilty - opening address Hillquit, 1915 (16 leaves)
- Hearings, House Resolutions, #90, 1911; #13, 1912 (67 leaves)
- Georgia. Commerce and Labor Commission Preliminary Report, 1912 (19 leaves); First Annual Report, 1912 (2 items, 46 leaves)
Processed by E. L. Eltzroth, 1972 and Fran Barber, May 6, 1980 at the file level.
- International Union of Operating Engineers (Organization)
- International Union of Operating Engineers. Local 329 (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
- Georgia Federation of Labor (Organization)
- Smith, Hoke, 1855-1931 (Person)
- United Construction Workers (Organization)
- American Federation of Labor (Organization)
- Brown, Joseph M., 1851-1932 (Person)
- Alfred G. Kuettner:
- A Guide to His Collection at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- 1972, 1980
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description