Alfred G. Kuettner collection
Scope and Content of the Collection
The Kuettner Collection consists principally of the Records, 1907-1916, of the Steam and Operating Engineers' Union Local 329, of Atlanta, Georgia. Though the financial and membership material comprises the bulk of these records, the correspondence, 1910-1916, describes the Union's involvement in local and state labor affairs, such as the textile workers strike of 1914, and local and state political situations involving Senator Hoke Smith, Georgia Governor Joe Brown, and political appointments. Included in the Kuettner Collection is a quantity of printed letters, minutes, and other documents, 1910-1916, from the International Steam and Operating Engineers Union. Form letters of the American Federation of Labor and the Georgia Federation of Labor, 1911-1916, and a few leaves of Kuettner's personal papers, 1902-1912, constitute the remainder of the Kuettner Collection.
- Kuettner, Alfred G. (Person)
Restrictions on access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
Oversize material stored offsite, please allow 24 hours for retrieval.
Alfred G. Kuettner was Secretary of Steam and Operating Engineers' Union Local 329, Atlanta, Georgia, circa 1910-1915.
1.67 Linear Feet (in 4 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Alfred G. Kuettner Collection consists principally of the records, 1907-1916, of the Steam and Operating Engineers' Union Local 329, of Atlanta, Georgia. Kuettner was Secretary of Local 329, circa 1910-1915. The collection includes printed letters, minutes, and other documents, 1910-1916, from the International Steam and Operating Engineers Union; form letters of the American Federation of Labor and the Georgia Federation of Labor, 1911-1916, and a few leaves of Kuettner's personal papers, 1902-1912.
Donated by Alfred G. Kuettner, Jr., 1971, further donations in 1972 (L1972-39) and 1973 (L1973-37).
Separated Materials Note
During processing various materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. Please contact Special Collections for access. For Constitution and Bylaws and proceedings, consult archivist. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (This collection has been weeded).
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and Bylaws Collection
- Georgia Federation of Labor Constitution and Rules, 1912 (2 items, 16 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Georgia Federation of Labor, Convention Proceedings 1911-1912 (112 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
- Gompers, Mitchell, Morrison vs. Bucks Stove and Range Company, 1911 (8 leaves)
- Speech - Buchanan, 1915 (4 leaves)
- Union Label Trades Department - A.F.L., 1914 (34 leaves)
- A Plan - How to Use the Union Label, undated (4 leaves)
- Not Guilty - opening address Hillquit, 1915 (16 leaves)
- Hearings, House Resolutions, #90, 1911; #13, 1912 (67 leaves)
- Georgia. Commerce and Labor Commission Preliminary Report, 1912 (19 leaves); First Annual Report, 1912 (2 items, 46 leaves)
Processed by E. L. Eltzroth, 1972 and Fran Barber, May 6, 1980 at the file level.
- American Federation of Labor
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Brown, Joseph M., 1851-1932
- Georgia Federation of Labor
- International Union of Operating Engineers
- International Union of Operating Engineers. Local 329 (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Labor leaders
- Labor union locals
- Smith, Hoke, 1855-1931
- Steam engineers -- Labor unions
- Strikes and lockouts -- Textile industry
- United Construction Workers
- minutes (administrative records)
- Alfred G. Kuettner:
- A Guide to His Collection at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- 1972, 1980
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2001: Electronic finding aid created by Apex Data Services.
- 2005, 2007: Revised by William Hardesty.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303