"A Woman's Place" records
Scope and Content of the Records
The collection consists of business plans and membership materials pertaining to the organization and activities of "A Woman's Place," 1980-1983. It includes forms and questionnaires for members, investment and meeting announcement flyers, invitations to functions, calendars, and other printed materials. Those from "Women's Faire '80" (May 31, 1980) concern a fair made up of 30-40 information booths manned by organizations such as ERA Georgia, the Rape Crisis Center, etc., which took place at the Unitarian-Universalist Church of Atlanta. Directed by Polly Simpson, who was on the church's Board of Trustees at the time, the fair offered guest speakers, a support group forum for a variety of women's issues, food, music, games, and free child care.
- Creation: 1980-1983
- Simpson, Polly Brooks, 1939- (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biography of Polly Brooks Simpson
Polly Brooks Simpson, civic activist and businesswoman, was born in Atlanta, Georgia in 1939. After graduating from high school in Sparta, GA, she attended Agnes Scott College (1957-1958) and earned a psychology degree (AB, 1962) from Georgia State University. She later received a Masters degree in social work from Atlanta University (1978). Simpson has been involved in the Georgia Council on Child Abuse since 1979, serving as board president for two terms. In 1988, the Council named its Polly B. Simpson Distinguished Service Award after her, and she became its first recipient. From 1980-1983 Simpson served as the director of "A Woman's Place." She also organized and chaired Georgia Voices for Children (1989-1990), an advocacy group whose efforts resulted in the change of state child abuse laws. Other organizations that Simpson has been active with are the National Committee to Prevent Child Abuse (1989-1995), Georgians for Children (1991-), and the Fulton County Child Abuse Protocol Committee (1995-). In 1996, Simpson opened Vermillion, an Atlanta gallery. She married Charlie Simpson in 1960 and has two daughters.
Polly Simpson and others began "A Woman’s Place," a clearinghouse for women's resources as well as an organization for women, in June 1980. In late December 1980 and early January 1981, AWP entered into a purchase agreement regarding two houses on Monroe Drive that were to become its permanent location. In order to be supported by the population it served, AWP attempted to become one of two things: a limited partnership or a corporation. Members were asked either to buy shares of its stock ($1/share, 250 shares minimum) or to become a limited partner (investing $2,500 minimum). There was not enough financial support, and so the houses were not purchased. In November 1981, a "temporary" space was set up at Broadview Plaza [now Lindbergh Plaza] on the upper level arcade where meetings, art shows, films, discussion and support groups, workshops and other programs were held. The space also contained the organization's office, library, and a giant bulletin board for the exchange of information. Open six days per week, AWP depended entirely on volunteers for its staffing and administrative functions and on donations for operating expenses.
The organization began producing a newsletter, A Woman's Place, in 1981. In September 1983 the first issue of Femme was produced, which was issued as an insert to Atlanta's Creative Loafing newspaper. When AWP closed its offices on September 30, 1983, the Georgia Women's Consortium, a state-wide alliance of 32 organizations, took over the clearinghouse concept of the older organization. Simpson continued to co-edit Femme, and when the name was changed to Atlanta Woman in December 1983, she remained as co-editor.
- May 31, 1980
- The Women's Faire takes place at the Unitarian-Universalist Church of Atlanta. It is directed by Polly Simpson, who is on the Board of Trustees at the church.
- June 1980
- Polly Simpson, and others, begin AWP. Simpson's home address is used for many of the "A Woman's Place" publications to follow.
- December 1980/January 1981
- A purchase agreement is signed by "A Woman's Place" to purchase two houses on Monroe Drive for use as a permanent location for "A Women's Place."
- May 11-August 11, 1981
- The Monroe Drive houses are rented by "A Women's Place."
- August 11, 1981
- The deadline for purchasing the two houses, at 1579 and 1589 Monroe Drive, for the "A Women's Place" location.
- November 1, 1981
- "A Women's Place" is "temporarily" located at Broadview Plaza, 2581 Piedmont Rd. It is open 6 days a week.
- June 1982-early 1983
- The Broadview Address is still given for "A Women's Place."
- September 1983
- "A Women's Place" is dissolved.
0.25 Linear Feet (in 9 folders)
Language of Materials
Polly Simpson and others began "A Woman’s Place," a clearinghouse for women's resources as well as an organization for women, in June 1980. The collection consists of business plans and membership materials pertaining to the organization and activities of "A Woman's Place," 1980-1983.
Donated by Polly Brooks Simpson, April 29, 1996.
During processing, Newsletters which were accessioned as part of this collection, including A Woman's Place, Femme, and Atlanta Woman, have been removed to the Woman's Printed Collection: Periodicals. See finding aid (W-Periodicals or online catalog for access)
Processed by Lee Elzroth at the file level with assistance from MAD, September 1996 (level 2).
- "A Woman's Place":
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description