Linda Hallenborg Kurtz papers
Scope and Content of the Papers
The Linda Hallenborg Kurtz Papers, 1979-1995 document her involvement with the Georgia Women's Political Caucus (GWPC) and the National Women's Political Caucus (NWPC).
Of note are two artifacts given to Linda Kurtz: a Doonesbury cartoon [10" x 19" framed] inscribed to Kurtz by cartoonist Gary Trudeau, February 7, 1985, and a china plate [10 1/2" diameter] designed by Set Charles Momijian and signed by four first ladies. The plate was presented to participants of the February 1988 conference "Women and the Constitution -- A Bicentennial Perspective," held in Atlanta, Georgia and sponsored by Georgia State University and the Jimmy Carter Library. Kurtz served on the conference's Executive Committee and lead a panel discussion entitled "Putting Women in the Constitution: The Future of the ERA."
- Kurtz, Linda Hallenborg, 1948- (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biography of Linda Hallenborg Kurtz
Linda Hallenborg Kurtz, known as Linda Hallenborg during her years in Atlanta, Georgia, and Washington, D.C., was born in 1948 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. She was a political and feminist activist and worked as a lobbyist, administrator, consultant and educator. She was the founder and chair of the Georgia Women's Political Caucus (GWPC), an officer of the ERA GA, Inc., vice chair and member of the board of directors of the National Women's Political Caucus (NWPC) and director of governmental affairs for Planned Parenthood of the Atlanta Area. Educated at Brandeis University (B.A., 1969) and the University of Pittsburgh (M.A., 1973, A.B.D., 1977), she has been a lecturer at the University of Pittsburgh, Georgia State University and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Non-Violent Social Change. Kurtz has also been the president of her own consulting firm, a political strategist and a campaign consultant.
4.5 Linear Feet (in 7 boxes)
Language of Materials
Linda Hallenborg Kurtz was the founder and chair of the Georgia Women's Political Caucus (GWPC), an officer of the ERA GA, Inc., vice chair and member of the board of directors of the National Women's Political Caucus (NWPC) and director of governmental affairs for Planned Parenthood of the Atlanta Area. The Linda Hallenborg Kurtz Papers, 1979-1995, document her involvement with the Georgia Women's Political Caucus (GWPC) and the National Women's Political Caucus (NWPC).
Organization of the Papers
The collection is organized into eight series: Series I. General Correspondence; Series II. Georgia Women's Political Caucus; Series III. National Women's Political Caucus; Series IV. Georgia Women's Political Caucus and National Women's Political Caucus; Series V. Women and the Constitution; Series VI. Lobbying; Series VII. Personal and Miscellaneous; Series VIII. Artifacts
Donated by Linda Hallenborg Kurtz via Diane L. Fowlkes, April 1999.
Several items have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.
Separated to the Women's Printed Collections: Pamphlets (W-Pamphlets) See finding aid for access
Bringing Together People and Ideas: Linda Hallenborg for NWPC Vice Chair,1983 [Political participation]
Conceptions,Planned Parenthood of the Atlanta Area, Fall 1983 [Reproduction rights]
The Far Right: What They Say About Your Rights!,Planned Parenthood, N.Y., 1985 [Reproduction rights]
Showcase '85,NWPC Atlanta, GA, June 27-30, 1985 [National Women's Political Caucus--Conferences]
Targeting America's Future,NWPC, Portland, OR, August 20-23, 1987 [National Women's Political Caucus--Conferences, 1983-1987]
Win With Women,NWPC, San Antonio, TX, July 7-10, 1983 [National Women's Political Caucus--Conferences, 1983-1987]
A Woman's Guide to Pension Rights,AARP Worker Equity, Washington, DC, 1985 [Social Security]
Women on the Ballot,Noel Kendall, League of Women Voters, Mankato, MN, Old Mill Printers, 1984 [Political participation]
Write for Your Right: RCERA Letter Writing 'How-to-Guide,'Gillian Craig, ed., Religious Committee for ERA, NY, 1982 [Equal rights amendments]
Separated to Women's Printed Collections: Periodicals (W-Periodicals) see online catalog or finding aid for access
- Atlanta Women's News (Atlanta, GA: Atlanta Women's News, Inc.), January 1987
- GARAL News (Decatur, GA: Georgia Abortion Rights Action League), September-October 1985
- Johnson's Journal (Atlanta, GA: D.H. Johnson), Vol.1, no.4, December 1983; Vol.2, no.1, January 1984
- National NOW Times: Official Journal of the National Organization for Women (Washington, D.C.), Vol.15, no.5-10, June-December 1982; Vol.16, no.1-3, January-March 1983
- Planned Parenthood Review (New York: Planned Parenthood Federation of America), Vol.5, no.2, Summer 1985
- Women's Career Convention Newsletter, Atlanta Edition (Chicago, IL: Leigh Communications, Inc.), Vol.1, no.4, 1982
- Women's Political Reporter (Atlanta: Georgia Women's Political Caucus), Vol.1, no.4, November 1980; Vol.2, no.1-3; 5, February-August 1981; Vol.2, no.5, December 1981; Vol.2, no.6-8, January-November 1982; Vol.4, no.1-2, January-March 1984; Vol.5, no.1-3, June-December 1984; Vol.5, May and September 1985; Summer 1987; "Voting Record on Women's Issues," 1983; "Endorsement Issue," 1984
- Women's Political Times (Washington, D.C.: National Women's Political Caucus), Vol.7, no.2-5, April-December 1982; Vol.8, no.1-4, January-August 1983; Vol.8, no.6, December 1983; Vol.9, no.1-7, January-December 1984; Vol.10, no.1-3, January-August 1985; Vol.10, no.5, December 1985; Vol.11, no.1, January 1986
Processed by E. Lee Elzroth at the item level, 1999; overzied item added to inventory, 2021.
- Linda Hallenborg Kurtz:
- A Guide to Her Papers at Georgia State University Libray
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description