Cynthia W. Hlass papers
Scope and Content of the Papers
The Cynthia W. Hlass Papers, 1970-1976, are arranged under the following topics: Atlanta NOW, Georgia NOW, National NOW, NOW State Legislative Coordinator, Equal Rights Amendment, and Miscellaneous and consist of manuscript and printed materials documenting Hlass's participation in NOW, as well as efforts to ratify the ERA in Georgia. Material focuses on NOW national, state and local levels, and on Hlass's work in NOW as president (Atlanta chapter), board member (Atlanta chapter, 1974-1975), Legislative Coordinator (Georgia), International Feminist Committee member (1974-1975), and Compliance Coordinator (Southern Region, 1976). Other materials (news clippings, newsletters, publications, pamphlets, etc.) document the history of the ERA movement in Georgia (1970-1976). Additional subjects covered are women's rights, including Women's Liberation (1975-1976), feminist songs (undated), and the International Women's Year conference [Mexico City, 1975].
- Creation: 1970-1976
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biography of Cynthia Welch Hlass
Cynthia Welch Hlass, real estate broker and former Atlanta NOW president was born in Kansas City, Missouri in 1944. She attended Northwestern University (Chicago, Illinois) two years during the early 1960s, then left to become an airline attendant. Hlass graduated from Mercer University [Atlanta, Georgia] in 1977 with a dual major in psychology and sociology. It was while she was finishing her degree at Mercer that she served as Atlanta NOW President (1973-1974) and as Legislative Coordinator (1974-1975) for Georgia NOW. Hlass was a real estate broker in Gwinnett County for over 30 years. She died March 3, 2003, in Little Rock, Arkansas.
3.25 Linear Feet (in 8 boxes)
Language of Materials
Cynthia Welch Hlass, real estate broker and former Atlanta NOW president was born in Kansas City, Missouri in 1944. The Cynthia W. Hlass Papers, 1970-1976, are arranged under the following topics: Atlanta NOW, Georgia NOW, National NOW, NOW State Legislative Coordinator, Equal Rights Amendment, and Miscellaneous and consist of manuscript and printed materials documenting Hlass's participation in NOW, as well as efforts to ratify the ERA in Georgia.
Arranged in seven series, I. Atlanta NOW, II. Georgia NOW, III. National NOW, IV. NOW State Legislative Coordinator, V. Equal Rights Amendment, VI. Miscellaneous, VII. Artifacts.
Donated by Cynthia W. Hlass via Joyce Durand, June 1997; 2004.
Separated Materials Note
During Processing periodicals, pamphlets, and monographs were separated to other collections.
Separated to the Women's Periodicals Collection (see catalog or finding aid for access)
- Abortion Trends (Lakewood, CA: W/W Communications), 1975-1976 (4 issues)
- The Applecart (North Augusta, S.C.: CSRA Chapter), October 1975; June 1976 (2 issues)
- As We See It NOW (Detroit, MI: Detroit N.O.W.), March 1975
- DeKalb N.O.W. (Tucker, GA: DeKalb N.O.W.), October 1975
- Do It N.O.W. (Chicago, IL: N.O.W.), September 1973
- Equal Rights Monitor (Sacramento, CA: Equal Rights Amendment Project); after 1976 (Sacramento, CA: Institute for Studies in Equality), 1976-1976 (5 issues)
- Feminist Alliance Against Rape Newsletter (Washington, D.C.: FAAR), March/April 1977
- Georgia News [N.O.W.] (Athens, GA: Georgia Chapter N.O.W.), 1974-1976 (6 issues)
- NOW Notes (Atlanta, GA: Atlanta Chapter N.O.W.), May 1976
- NOW's letter (Savannah, GA) [newsletter title used by chapters across states), April 1976
- Pennsylvania NOW (Erie PA: Pennsylvania N.O.W.), March 1975; April 1975
- The Phyllis Schlafly Report (Alton, IL: Phyllis Schlafly), December 1974; January 1975
Separated to the Women's Pamphlets Collection (see catalog or finding aid for access)
- Georgia Women's Meeting for the Observation of International Women's Year , Sheraton Biltmore Hotel, May 6-7, 1977 [Conferences and Exhibits]
- The Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972; Title VII of Public Law 92-261, Approved March 24, 1972 (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Government Printing Office, 1972) [Discrimination in employment--Law and legislation--U.S.]
- Affirmative Action and Equal Empoyment: A Guidebook for Employees , developed and written by Evelyn M. Idelson (Washington, D.C.: Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 1974) [Discrimination in employment--U.S.]
- Job Discrimination? Laws and Rules You Should Know , (Washington, D.C.: Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 1975) [Discrimination in employment--U.S.]
- Publications of the Women's Bureau (Washington D.C.: U.S. Department of Labor Employment Standards Administration Women's Bureau, January 1977) [Employment]
- Toward Job Equality for Women (Washington, D.C.: Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, circa 1969) [Employment]
- The First Decade (Washington, D.C.: Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 1974) [Equal Employment Opportunity Commission--U.S.]
- Answers to Questions About E.R.A. (Washington, D.C.: National Women's Party) [Equal Rights Amendment]
- Bringing Home Equality (The National Federation of Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Inc.) [Equal Rights Amendment]
- Abortion: Questions and Answers (New York, N.Y.: National Association for Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL)) [Equal Rights Amendment and abortion]
- Abortion: The Case for Repeal , by Lester Breslow, (New York, N.Y.: NARAL) [Equal Rights Amendment and abortion]
- "Confronting the Enemy" articles form Pennsylvania NOW [Equal Rights Amendment and abortion]
- The Women's Guide to Books (New York, N.Y.: MSS Information Corp., 1974) [Feminism--Bibliography]
- Georgia Official Directory of State and County Officers , prepared by Ben W. Fortsen, Jr., Secretary of State, April 1975 [Georgia--Data]
- NOW is the Time (Atlanta, GA: Atlanta N.O.W., 1974) [National Organization for Women--Conference]
- NOW Origins (N.O.W.) [National Organization for Women--History]
- They All Learned NOW Means Business (N.O.W.) [National Organization for Women--History]
- Write On (N.O.W.) [National Organization for Women--History]
- "The Women Activist Guide to Lobbying," The Women Activist, commemorative issue (Falls Church, VA), August 26, 1974 [Political participation: Pamphlet Box P]
- Guide on Discrimination Because of Sex (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 1972)[Sex discrimination against women--Law and legislation: Pamphlet Box S]
- Excerpts from How Do You Feel About Being A Woman?: The Results of A Redbook [Surveys--Women--U.S.: Pamphlet Box S]
- Fifinella (WASP Memorial Fund)[WASP's: Pamphlet Box W]
- The American Woman: Her Image and Her Roles, by Toni Merrick under the direction of Sheila Tobias, (Middletown, CT: Xerox Corporation, 1972)[Women--Social conditions: Pamphlet Box W]
- Equal Rights for Women, a Call for Action: The United Nations Declaration on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (New York, N.Y.: United Nations Office of Public Information, 1973)[Women--Social conditions: Pamphlet Box W]
Separated to the Special Collections Book Holdings (see catalog for access)
- Affirmative Action and Equal Employment: A Guidebook for Employers, Volume 1 and 2 (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, January 1974)
- National Organization for Women, Virginia Chapter. The Equal Rights Amendment Supporter's Handbook (Richmond, VA: Virginia N.O.W., 1975)
- Justice, Ann K. (ed). The Insurance Connection with Stop ERA Forces, a report compiled by the National Organization for Women, Lincoln N.O.W. Chapter and N.O.W. Legislative Office, Washington D.C. (Lincoln Neb.: N.O.W., 1974)
- Alan Guttmacher Institute. Provisional Estimates of Abortion Need and Services in the Year Following the 1973 Supreme Court Decisions: United States, Each State and Metropolitan Area (New York, N.Y.: The Institute, 1975)
- San Francisco Women's History Group. What Have Women Done? A Photo Essay on Working Women in the United States (San Francisco, CA: United Front Press, circa 1975)
- Whitehead, Geraldine C. Women in America (Fort Worth, TX: Sperry and Hutchinson Co., 1972)
Processed by Wesley J. Chenault at the item level, June 1998.
- Cynthia W. Hlass:
- A Guide to Her Papers at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description