Bernice Dixon papers
Scope and Contents of the Papers
The Bernice Dixon papers, 1851, 1881-1882, 1899-2015 (bulk 1954-1982), consist of correspondence, annual reports, catalogs, bylaws, programs, student materials, scrapbooks, photographs, yearbooks, and other printed material. The materials document the activities of the Grady Memorial Hospital School of Nursing, relevant institutions, organizations, students, alumni and the hospital’s nursing service. Bernice Dixon collected the materials during her employment at Grady Hospital and while researching her book about the school's history.
- 1851, 1881-1882, 1899-2016
- Majority of material found within 1954 - 1982
- Dixon, Bernice K., 1922- (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Biography of Bernice K. Dixon
Bernice Killcrease Dixon (born 1922 in Gwinnett County, Georgia) graduated from Grady Memorial Hospital School of Nursing in Atlanta in 1945. She taught in the School of Nursing from 1950 to 1963. She then became the Director of the School of Nursing in 1963 and remained in that position until the school closed in 1982. After the closing of the school, Mrs. Dixon became the Director of Patient Services and Assistant Director of Nursing Service at Grady Memorial Hospital, a position she held until 1992. She later authored a book, Grady Memorial Hospital School of Nursing: The History, the People, the Memories, with Judy (Lee) Clary and Mary (Sutton) Rau-Foster (2015).
Historical Note on the Grady School of Nursing
The Grady Memorial Hospital School of Nursing was chartered in 1898. The Grady Memorial Hospital Municipal Training School for Colored Nurses was organized in 1914 by Mrs. Ludie Andrews, who served as superintendent of the school until 1922. From 1922 to 1965 the school was under the direction of the White Nursing School. In 1965 the two schools were combined. Nancy Wooten served as Registrar and Field Director of the Hospital's professional schools from 1956 until her retirement in 1980. The school closed following the graduation of its 1982 class.
54.9 Linear Feet (in 48 boxes and 20 oversize containers)
Language of Materials
The papers are arranged into six series:
- Series I: School of Nursing, 1900-2015
- Series II: Grady Hospital, 1899-1910, 1916-1917, 1930-2009
- Series III: Fulton-DeKalb Hospital Authority, 1920-1951, 1958-1995
- Series IV: Nursing Profession, 1921, 1937-1938, 1950-1986, 1991
- Series V: Subject/Research Files, 1851, 1881-1882, 1903-1986, 1989-1995, 1998-2003, 2014-2015
- Series VI: Historical Files, 1910-2016
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Bernice Dixon, April 6, 2016 and September 29, 2021.
Processed by Tierra Thomas and Hal Hansen at the file level, Summer and Fall 2017. Addition processed by Hal Hansen, January 2022.
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.). Department of Nursing
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.). Municipal Training School for Colored Nurses
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.). School of Nursing
- Nursing -- Study and teaching
- Nursing education
- Nursing schools
- administrative records
- Bernice Dixon:
- A Guide to Her Papers at Georgia State University Library
- Finding aid prepared by Georgia State University Library
- Fall 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description