Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen, Chattanooga Division 729 records
Scope and Contents of the Records
The Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen, Chattanooga Division 729 collection includes correspondence, minutes, financial statements, a poster, a book, badges, and photographs. This collection is mostly comprised of correspondence from 1956-1960 of Mr. L.H. “Dick” Carter, the local division chairman who became the divisional secretary and treasurer from 1958-1960. The collection also includes a World War II poster discouraging the spreading of rumors, two cloth and six metal badges from the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers: Tuscarawas Division 255 (Ohio), a funeral book of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and forty-four photographs, primarily concerning the Western Electric Company, mid-1940s.
- Creation: 1912, 1931, 1942-1946, 1955-1960
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Historical Note on the Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen
The Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen (ORC & B) was founded in 1868 as an order of railroad conductors and later expanded to include brakemen. The Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen was founded by T.J. "Tommie" Wright in 1868 in Amboy, Ill. as the Conductors Union. The name was changed to Order of Railway Conductors of America (ORC) in 1878. In 1942, the Order of Sleeping Car Conductors merged with ORC. The union's name was changed in 1954 to the Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen. In 1969, the Order merged with the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen and Enginemen, Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, and Switchmen's Union of North America to form the United Transportation Union. The ORC & B International Headquarters, Grand Division, was located in Cedar Rapids, Iowa with subordinate divisions in the United States, Canada, and the Panama Canal Zone. The principal officers included the president, senior vice-president, general secretary-treasurer, executive vice-president, vice-president/Washington legislative representative, vice-president/National Railroad Adjustment Board, four regional vice-presidents, Board of Trustees (3 members), and the ORC & B Board of Directors (comprised of the above 13 officers.) General Adjustment Committees on each property (Class 1 railroads) were responsible for execution of the contract, with each chairman, as principal officer, exercising a high degree of autonomy. Legislative matters on the state level were the responsibility of the State Legislative Committee and its chairman.
0.46 Linear Feet (in 2 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen, Chattanooga Division 729 records includes correspondence, minutes, financial statements, a poster, a book, badges, and photographs.
The records are arranged in alphabetical order.
Purchased from David McCord, September 19, 1989. Lucille Ragsdale donated further materials in 1996.
Processed by Meghan Di Rito at the file level, October 2016.
- Order of Railway Conductors and Brakemen, Chattanooga Division 729:
- A Guide to the Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- October 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description