Banning, Georgia collection
Scope and Contents of the Collection
Banning, Georgia collection consists of printed material and of typed and written notes, 1980-1983, and one photograph, a copy of an image from the 1880s or 1890s. Printed material includes newspaper articles about historic preservation efforts at the Banning Mill site and early tourism literature for the site, circa 1980. Notes include information about the development of the mills during the 1880s and 1890s and a quote from a 1920 speech by Judge Walter C. Millican. A copy photograph printed in 1983 shows a group of Hutcheson Manufacturing workers, circa 1890.
- circa 1890, 1980-1983
- Brock, Kathy (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
History of Banning, Georgia
Banning is located in Carroll County in western Georgia. The first textile mill there opened in 1846, and after the Civil War, both textile and paper mills thrived along Snake Creek. By 1895, 10 mills (including saw and grist mills) were in the area. During the twentieth century, business declined and the textile mill shut several times during the 1930s. It closed permanently in 1971. Some years later, the site was developed as a nature conservancy and historical site.
0.05 Linear Feet (in 1 folder)
Language of Materials
Banning, Georgia, was a mill town located in Carroll County that thrived from the mid 1800s into the early 1900s. The collection includes a photograph, circa 1890, and excerpts from publications regarding the history and preservation of the site, 1980-1983, undated.
Donated by Kathy Brock, March 26, 1987.
Processed by Carley Henderson at the file level, May 2014.
- Banning, Georgia:
- A Guide to the Collection at Georgia State University Library
- Carley Henderson
- May 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description