Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
Abstract: The AFL-CIO Committee on Political Education (COPE) Area 3 covers the region comprising Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, and West Virginia. Its records, 1970-1979, consist primarily of correspondence and printed material generated by the state labor federations in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, and South Carolina and West Virginia.
Abstract: AFL-CIO Committee on Political Education (COPE) Area 3 comprised Florida, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Kentucky, and West Virginia. COPE’s main purpose was to solicit and encourage voting and voter registration, especially among women, minority, senior citizen and youth voters. The records of AFL-CIO Committee on Political Education, Area 3, 1964-1984, contain correspondence, field reports, news clippings, surveys, reports, memoranda, political fund-raising materials,...
Abstract: Communications Workers of America was formed in 1938. The collection consists of 31 agreements, 1948-1977, between various local unions of the Communications Workers of America and communication or manufacturing employers.
Abstract: The collection consists of 121 agreements, 1937-2000, between various local unions of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and numerous utilities, municipalities, manufacturers, and other entities.
Scope and Content of the Collection The collection contains fourteen contracts dated 1947-1982.
Abstract: The Richmond Typographical Union Local 90 was chartered in 1866 by the National Typographical Union and in 1872 by the International Typographical Union. The local was affiliated with the AFL until 1937 and then re-affiliated in 1943, and also with the Virginia-Carolinas Typographical Conference, the Virginia Allied Printing Trades Council and the Central Trades and Labor Council. In 1971, the union broke up. The Records, 1886-1974, of the Richmond Typographical Union Local 90 consist of...
Abstract: Myron Howard "Mike" Ross, was born November 9, 1919. Ross worked with a number of unions as an organizer, arbitrator, and advocate in the South. He ran for elective office in North Carolina on the Progressive Party ticket. After receiving public health training, he founded the Fairmont (West Virginia) Clinic, which had the mission of providing high quality medical care for miners and their families. Administering the clinic 1958-1978, Ross developed a longstanding interest in coal miners and...
Abstract: The Newport News Central Labor Council records contain correspondence, minutes and financial documents concerning affiliation of local unions, delegates, charities, voter registration drives, organizing campaigns, and race issues.
Abstract: The collection consists of 206 agreements, 1898-1974, between various system federations or local unions of railroad and transit workers and their employers.
Abstract: The Southeastern Building Trade Conference is an umbrella organization uniting building trade unions from the southeastern states: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. The Southeastern Building Trade Conference records include financial records, correspondence, minutes, and resolutions.
Dates: 1967-1987; Majority of material found within 1967 - 1982
Abstract: The Textile Workers Union of America, Local 202 represented textile workers in Covington, Virginia. Its records, 1938-1976, include administrative files and correspondence of Local 202 elected officials; minutes; contract agreements and negotiation materials; Virginia CIO (later Virginia AFL-CIO) updates; wage rates and job descriptions; legislative materials; Shop Steward training materials; memos from TWUA Washington representative John Edelman; Labor Day celebration materials; convention...
Abstract: The United Steelworkers of America, District 35 records date 1940-1973, when the district included Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Georgia. The records consist of correspondence, minutes, financial documents, legal documents, and printed material.
Abstract: The collection consists of records of District 35 of the United Steelworkers of America from 1940-1987. Contains mainly correspondence (1943-1987) between district directors William Crawford, Lorne Nelles, and M.C. Weston and various USA officers and departments, including USA President David McDonald, field representatives, and local unions mainly discussing organizing activities, contract negotiation, and strike activities. The company files (1943-1987) concern negotiations and administration...
Abstract: The Records, 1945-1975, of United Textile Workers Union, Southern Region, Area B, consist of correspondence, minutes, legal and financial documents, and printed materials.
Abstract: The Records, 1972-1973, of the United Textile Workers of America, Southern Region Area B, consist of correspondence and various printed material created by Roy Whitmire as regional codirector. Correspondents include Everrett (also Southern Codirector) and the International officers and representatives of the TWUA. Topics discussed include NLRB elections, UTWA and TWUA organizing efforts, labor education.
Abstract: The records of the Virginia State AFL-CIO, 1947-1976, consist primarily of minutes, directories, memoranda, contracts, correspondence and lists of both affiliated and non-affiliated local unions in Virginia.
Abstract: The Virginia State AFL-CIO was organized in Richmond, Virginia in 1956 after the merger of the American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations. The records of the Virginia State AFL-CIO (1963-1984) include executive board meeting minutes, voting records, newsletters, correspondence, Committee on Political Education (COPE) documents, conference materials, budgets, and financial reports.
Dates: 1956, 1963-1984
Abstract The Workers United, Southern Region Records consist of contracts, grievances, negotiation materials, correspondence, constitutions and videotapes, 1980-2013. Workers United grew out of a series of older textile workers unions including ILGWU, UNITE!, UNITE HERE, ACTWU, ACWU, and TWUA.
- Subject: Virginia X
- AFL-CIO. Committee on Political Education. Area 3 2
- AFL-CIO. Executive Council 2
- Dowler, Clement 2
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers 2
- National Council of Senior Citizens 2
- United Steelworkers of America. District 35 2
- United Textile Workers of America. Southern Region. Area B 2
- Virginia State AFL-CIO 2
- Whitmire, Roy 2
- AFL-CIO. Building and Construction Trades Department 1
- AFL-CIO. Committee on Political Education 1
- AFL-CIO. Committee on Political Education. Women's Activities Dept. 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 6 1
- Amalgamated Association of Street, Electric Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union 1
- American Viscose Corporation 1
- Atlantic Steel Company 1
- Baldanzi, George 1
- Barkan, Alexander E. 1
- Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners (U.S.) 1
- Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers (U.S.) 1
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers of America 1
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers of America. Local 1018 (Richmond, Va.) 1
- Brotherhood of Railway and Steamship Clerks, Freight Handlers, Express, and Station Employes 1
- Caudelle, George B. 1
- Communications Workers of America 1
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) 1
- Industrial Rayon Corporation 1
- International Chemical Workers Union 1
- International Typographical Union 1
- International Typographical Union. Local 90 (Richmond, Va.) 1
- International Union of Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers 1
- J.P. Stevens & Co. 1
- Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation 1
- Ku Klux Klan (1915-) 1
- Lawson United Feldspar and Mineral Company (Spruce Pine, N.C.) 1
- Lewis, John L. (John Llewellyn), 1880-1969 1
- Link-Belt Company 1
- Mathias, Charles, 1913- 1
- McDonald, David J. (David John), 1902-1979 1
- National Typographical Union (U.S.). Local 90 (Richmond, Va.) 1
- Newberry Mills (Newberry, S.C.) 1
- Newport News Central Labor Council (Newport News, Va.) 1
- P. Garvin (Firm : Spartanburg, S.C.) 1
- Progressive Party (U.S. : 1948) 1
- Richmond Typothetae (Richmond, Va.) 1
- Ross, M. H. 1
- Southeastern Building Trade Conference 1
- Southern Cross Industries 1
- Textile Workers Union of America 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 202 (Covington, Va.) 1
- United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry. Local 540 (Newport News, Va.) 1
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America 1
- United Furniture Workers of America 1
- United Mine Workers of America 1
- United Piece Dye Works (Bluefield, W.Va.) 1
- United Textile Workers of America 1
- Virginia-Carolinas Typographical Conference 1
- Wallace, Henry A. (Henry Agard), 1888-1965 1
- Workers United. Southern Region 1 ∧ less