Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 29
Abstract: The collection consists of records of the AFL-CIO Region 5 (Atlanta, Ga.) and its predecessor, AFL-CIO Region 6 from 1947-1981. Includes correspondence, newsletters, memoranda, proceedings, reports, and printed materials. Materials document the activities of state and local union organizations, labor councils, the AFL, the CIO, and AFL-CIO departments pertaining to political issues, candidates for office, political campaigns, lobbying, the Don Luna case and trial, the J.P. Stevens organization...
Abstract: In 1955 when the American Federation of Labor (AFL) and the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) merged, it created AFL-CIO Region 8 encompassing Tennessee and Kentucky with Paul Christopher as Director. North and South Carolina became part of Region 5 directed by Carey Haigler. The 1964 reorganization of the AFL-CIO placed Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina in Region 8 with Christopher as Director and Haigler as Assistant Director. After Christopher's death in 1974, Region 8...
Dates: 1940-1974; Majority of material found within 1956 - 1974
Abstract: The Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union Georgia-Tennessee-Alabama Joint Board collection contains grievance files, arbitration files, newspaper clippings, publications, meeting minutes, training manuals, contracts, negotiations, union-management meeting transcripts, and correspondence from 1963-1993.
Abstract: The Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union (ACTWU), which represented textile workers throughout the United States, was formed in 1976 out of the merger of The Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA) and the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America (ACWA). The Joint Board served as an administrative support unit for locals in Tennessee and the southeastern United States. The records of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union, Tennessee Joint Board (Knoxville, Tenn.),...
Abstract: Charles M. Houk held many prominent labor positions in Tennessee from 1956 through 1963. His papers include correspondence, financial documents, minutes, and legislative reports relating to the Tennessee Committee on Political Education and the Tennessee State Labor Council.
Abstract: Chattanooga Area Labor Council Records includes correspondence, minutes, financial documents, legal papers, and printed materials, relating to the council, the merger of Chattanooga Industrial Union Council into it, politics, union elections, abolition of the poll tax, desegregation of public schools, Taft-Hartley Act, Tennessee laws concerning open and closed shops, Chattanooga Voters' Union, revision of the Tennessee State Constitution, and political education. Correspondents include Ross...
Dates: 1925-1972; Majority of material found within 1941 - 1972
Abstract: The Communications Workers of America (CIO) was formed in 1947; the former Southern Federation of Telephone Workers (independent) became CWA Division 49. In 1950, through a reorganization of the structure of CWA, the nine southern states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee became District 3 of the CWA. The records consist primarily of more than 5500 non-precedent grievances filed by the union against its principal...
Abstract: D. Bruce Shine workded as an attorney in Kingsport, Tennessee. He specialized in labor law and served as the General Council for the United Textile Workers of America. The D. Bruce Shine collection, 1928-1982, consists of legal case files and personal files.
Abstract: Eula McGill was an organizer in the Southern textile factory worker movement of the 1930s. Her papers contain scrapbook material, composed of newspapers, clippings, and programs, which pertains to her organizing activities for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America in Tennessee and other topics.
Abstract: Herman Adkins (1918-1999) was an organizer and regional director in Tennessee and Georgia for United Mine Workers of America District 50, the UMWA's "national department" for industrial workers. Adkins was a board member during the period when District 50 was an independent unit within the UMWA (1961-1968). When District 50 became a separate entity, International Union of District 50, Allied and Technical Workers of America and Canada, Adkins continued to serve as its Atlanta regional director....
International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers, Local Lodge 480 (Oak Ridge, Tenn.) records
Abstract: The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Local Lodge 480 of Oak Ridge, Tennessee, also known as the Atomic Local 480, was chartered in 1946. The community of Oak Ridge was developed in 1942 and managed by the Army of the United States to facilitate production of the Atomic bomb for the Manhattan Project during World War II. The Oak Ridge community was kept secret until WWII was over; the union was then formed under the AFL-CIO. The Atomic Local 480 dealt with issues...
Dates: 1938-2010; Majority of material found within 1952 - 1987
Abstract: The collection consists of 121 agreements, 1937-2000, between various local unions of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers and numerous utilities, municipalities, manufacturers, and other entities.
Scope and Content of the Collection The collection contains thirty contracts dated 1952-1995.
Abstract: Donated by John "Joe" Ward Merritt, President of the District Council of Iron Workers of Tennessee Valley Trades and Labor Council, this collection contains speeches, expense reports, Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) materials and bound copies of the unions' periodical The Ironworker.
Abstract: The strike against Kingsport Press began March 11, 1963 and included local bodies of the bookbinders, electrotypers, machinists, printing pressmen and assistants, and typographical unions. Naming themselves the Allied Kingsport Press Unions, the unions managed the strike through the unity committee. The collection, 1961-1967, includes correspondence, legal documents, minutes, newsclippings, printed material, and photographs. Materials document the activities of the bookbinders, electrotypers,...
Abstract The Matt Lynch collection consists of materials regarding Lynch's history of labor organization and reform throughout the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s, including his presidency of the Tennessee Labor Council.
Scope and Content of the Collection The collection contains eight contracts dated 1946-1978.
Abstract: The collection of Ray Stepp, 1965-1976, contain correspondence which reveals the intended and later merging of North and South Carolina Pipe Trades Association with the Tennessee Pipe Trades Association.
Abstract: The collection consists of 161 agreements, 1941-1972, between various local unions of the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union and employers.
Abstract: The Southeastern Building Trade Conference is an umbrella organization uniting building trade unions from the southeastern states: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia. The Southeastern Building Trade Conference records include financial records, correspondence, minutes, and resolutions.
Dates: 1967-1987; Majority of material found within 1967 - 1982
- Subject: Tennessee X
- AFL-CIO. Tennessee State Labor Council 3
- United Mine Workers of America 3
- United Steelworkers of America. District 35 3
- AFL-CIO 2
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers 2
- Kefauver, Estes 2
- Meany, George, 1894-1980 2
- Tennessee State Industrial Union Council 2
- AFL-CIO. Building and Construction Trades Department 1
- AFL-CIO. Chattanooga Area Labor Council 1
- AFL-CIO. Committee on Political Education 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 5 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 6 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 8 (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- Aberle Hosiery Company (Columbia, Tenn.) 1
- Adkins, Herman B. 1
- Alabama State Industrial Union Council 1
- Allied Kingsport Press Unions 1
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union. Georgia-Tennessee-Alabama Joint Board 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union. Tennessee Joint Board (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- American Federation of Hosiery Workers 1
- American Federation of Labor 1
- Atlantic Steel Company 1
- Atomic Trades and Labor Council 1
- Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners (U.S.) 1
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers of America 1
- Caudelle, George B. 1
- Chattanooga Industrial Union Council 1
- Chattanooga Voters' Union 1
- Christopher, Paul R. 1
- Communications Workers of America. District 3 1
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) 1
- Derrick, Earl 1
- Fritschle, C. E. 1
- Googe, George Logan 1
- Haigler, Carey 1
- Holston Manufacturing Company (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- Houk, Charles M. 1
- International Association of Bridge, Structural, and Ornamental Iron Workers 1
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers 1
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. Local Lodge 480 (Oak Ridge, Tenn.) 1
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. Women's Auxilliary 404 Atomettes (Oak Ridge, Tenn.) 1
- International Union of District 50, Allied and Technical Workers of the United States and Canada 1
- International Union of Operating Engineers 1
- J.P. Stevens & Co. 1
- Jones and Laughlin Steel Corporation 1
- Kenyon Southern (Rossville, Ga.) 1
- Kingsport Press 1
- Kirkland, Lane 1
- Link-Belt Company 1
- Lynch, Matthew S. (Matthew Simpson) 1
- Mathias, Charles, 1913- 1
- McDonald, David J. (David John), 1902-1979 1
- McGill, Eula, 1911-2003 1
- McKellar, Kenneth Douglas, 1869-1957 1
- McLellan, John S. 1
- Merritt, John W. (John Ward) 1
- North and South Caroline Pipe Trades Association 1
- Oil, Chemical, and Atomic Workers International Union 1
- Rainbow Processing Company (Chattanooga, Tenn.) 1
- Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union 1
- Ridge Textile Company (Athens, Tenn.) 1
- Roxbury Southern Mills (Chattanooga, Tenn.) 1
- Sala, James 1
- Schnitzler, F. William (Frank William), 1904- 1
- Shine, D. Bruce 1
- Smith, Stanton E. (Stanton Everett), 1905- 1
- Southeastern Building Trade Conference 1
- Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company 1
- Southern Cross Industries 1
- Stepp, Raymond 1
- Tennessee Committee on Political Education 1
- Tennessee Pipe Trades Association 1
- Tennessee Valley Authority 1
- Tennessee Valley Trades and Labor Council 1
- Textile Workers Union of America 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Georgia-Tennessee-Alabama Area Joint Board 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 1592 (Calhoun, Ga.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 1672 (Chattanooga, Tenn.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 1829 (Columbia, Tenn.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 2094 (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 2202 (Athens, Tenn.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 2303 (Rossville, Ga.) 1
- United Association of Plumbers and Steam Fitters of the United States and Canada 1
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America 1
- United Hatters, Cap, and Millinery Workers International Union 1
- United Mine Workers of America. District 50 1
- United Packinghouse, Food, and Allied Workers 1
- United States. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission 1
- United States. Labor Management Relations Act, 1947 1
- United Steelworkers of America 1
- United Textile Workers of America 1
- Venture Carpets (Calhoun, Ga.) 1 ∧ less