Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 85
Abstract: AFL-CIO Region 5 (known as Region 6 until 1973) encompassed Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. The records consists of correspondence, newsletters, memos and reports, covering AFL-CIO's stand on political issues and candidates for office, lobbying, political campaigns, internal problems, and general business.
Abstract: The collection consists of correspondence, office memoranda and printed material maintained by the regional director’s office in Atlanta, Georgia.
Abstract: The Alfred G. Kuettner Collection consists principally of the records, 1907-1916, of the Steam and Operating Engineers' Union Local 329, of Atlanta, Georgia. Kuettner was Secretary of Local 329, circa 1910-1915. The collection includes printed letters, minutes, and other documents, 1910-1916, from the International Steam and Operating Engineers Union; form letters of the American Federation of Labor and the Georgia Federation of Labor, 1911-1916, and a few leaves of Kuettner's personal papers,...
Abstract: Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union, Central North Carolina Joint Board records, 1939-1979, include correspondence, grievances, and time studies on job productivity in the textile industry; together with correspondence, newspaper clippings, and other items. Material relates to the Textile Workers Union of America; Local 578 and Local 584 and the strike (1958-1960; and abandoned by the union) against Harriet and Henderson Cotton Mills, Henderson, N.C.; and Local 319 at Highland Cotton...
Abstract: The records consist of Local 1716 (Rome, Ga.) of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union (ACTWU) of the United States from 1954-1988. The records reflect the union's relationship with the Textile Workers Union of America, (TWUA) Local 689, Local 1942 and other locals. Includes correspondence between the various local unions; minutes, records relating to arbitration and grievances; and union and company contract proposals.
Abstract: The collection consists of records of Local 442 (Atlanta, Ga.) of the Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America from 1918-1968. These records describe the business activities of Local 442 including the Meat Cutter's strikes of 1939 over agreements and of 1945 for a new contract to give union members a holiday on New Year's Day. A meat shortage of the mid-1940s resulted in a drop on the number of new members, loss and unemployment of old members, and dwindling money reserves....
Dates: 1918-1968; 1987
American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), Local 3 (Atlanta, Ga.) records
Abstract: American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL-CIO, Local 3 (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1951-1974, consist of correspondence, minutes, financial documents, legal files and printed material. Included are minutes of Greater Atlanta Public Employees District Council 14, 1966-1967, 1972. The records illuminate the local's daily concern with group insurance policies, membership maintenance, pensions, organizing in greater Atlanta area (particularly DeKalb County), legislative...
Abstract: The American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees(AFSCME), Local 1644 (Atlanta, Ga.) represents public sector workers in the metropolitan Atlanta area, including hospital, sanitation, and other municipal workers. The records of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, Local 1644 (Atlanta, Ga.), 1949-2001, include correspondence, meeting minutes, membership lists, petitions, constitutions, policy and procedures manuals, grievances, newspaper clippings,...
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the American Flint Glass Workers' Union from 1963-1980. Includes contract negotiations and conference notes, correspondence including newsletters and contract summaries. Also contains information on the American Flint Glass Workers' strike of 1977.
Abstract: Arch Bailey, a former PATCO employee and advocate for Controllers United, spent several decades lobbying for the rights of fired air traffic controllers to return to their jobs. The papers consist primarily of correspondence and reference files documenting the personal efforts of Arch Bailey as well as interactions between other members of Controllers United, the FAA (Federal Aviation Administration), and the Clinton Administration.
Dates: 1975-2002; Majority of material found within 1993 - 1996
Abstract: The Atlanta Labor Council was formed in 1958 by the merger of the Atlanta Federation of Trades, AFL, and the Atlanta Industrial Union Council, CIO. Its records are composed of proceedings, constitutions, contracts, convention materials, periodicals, pamphlets, and printed material of the Atlanta Labor Council and affiliated organizations, 1965-1990 (bulk 1967-1980).
Dates: 1965-1990; Majority of material found within 1967 - 1980
Abstract: Atlanta Printing Pressmen and Assistants Union, Local 8 Records, 1911, 1940-1973, consist of correspondence, financial documents, minutes, legal documents, and printed material. Correspondence is with international officers of the Union, notably President Thomas Dunwoody and international representative Larry Smith. Legal records include documentation of the Local's involvement in a strike against Parks Printing Company, 1955.
Dates: 1911; 1940-1973
Abstract: Printing Specialties and Paper Products Union, Local 527 (Atlanta, Ga.) was chartered in 1946. Its records, 1960s-1970s, consist of correspondence, minutes, financial records, contract negotiation files, contracts, constitutions, and other printed items. Ralph Meers, longtime president of the local, created some of the files.
Abstract: The collection consists of labor relation files of the various companies that have operated Atlanta's public transit system.
Abstract: The Atlanta Typographical Union, Local 48 was a branch of the International Typographical Union that represented printers and typographers throughout the Atlanta area. The Atlanta Typographical Union records (circa 1920s-2000s) consists of contracts, bylaws, correspondence, membership data, union organization forms, news clippings, strike organization, negotiations, and arbitration and grievance files.
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the Augusta Federation of Trade (AFT) from 1958-1974 and its predecessor, the Augusta Central Labor Union (ACLU), from 1943-1957. Includes minutes of the ACLU (1943-1957) outlining concerns of the organization, efforts to protect a local labor newspaper from advertising encroachment, and support for the Augusta bus drivers strike (1953-1955). Also contains minutes of the AFT (1965-1969), correspondence (1965-1974), financial documents (1963-1974), and...
Abstract The Bill Cousins collection of PATCO Local 321 material consists of news clippings, periodicals, audio tapes, legal files, and correspondence. Most of the material covers the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization's strike of 1981. Bill Cousins worked as an air traffic controller in Detroit, Michigan.
Abstract: The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Simpson Division 210, located in Macon, Georgia, received its charter in 1883. The local's records, 1884-1918, 1949, consist primarily of correspondence, financial documents, minutes and committee reports.
Dates: 1884-1918; 1949
Abstract: Charles "Lewis" Ross (1914-1984) worked as a textile mechanic and was very active in the organization efforts of the Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA) at the Celanese (before 1947, the Tubize) Corporation in Rome, Georgia. The papers consist of: union constitutions (CIO, Georgia State Industrial Union Council, TWUA local 689), contracts, grievances and memoranda from TWUA Washington Representative, John W. Edelman, to all Union Members, 1948-1950; pamphlets pertaining to racial and...
Abstract: Chet Kisling (born 1943) worked as an air traffic controller at the Atlanta Air Route Traffic Control Center in Hampton, Georgia. A member of the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (PATCO), he was fired after the organization's 1981 strike, along with 11,000 other U.S. controllers. The bulk of his papers consist of clippings, documentation of the lawsuit he was party to regarding his dismissal, and correspondence.
Dates: 1978-1996; Majority of material found within 1981 - 1982
- Subject: Strikes and lockouts X
- Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization (Washington, D.C.) 26
- Poli, Robert 19
- Eads, Gary 17
- Leyden, John F. 17
- Meyers, Robert E. 17
- Torchia, Domenic 17
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union 4
- General Electric Company 4
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers 4
- United States. Federal Aviation Administration 4
- Air Line Pilots Association 3
- Eastern Air Lines 3
- Glass Container Manufacturers Institute 3
- Southern Railway (U.S.) 3
- Textile Workers Union of America 3
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 689 (Rome, Ga.) 3
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 3
- AFSCME 2
- AFSCME. District Council 14 (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- AFSCME. Local 1644 (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Amalgamated Transit Union. Local 732 (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- American Flint Glass Workers' Union 2
- Bonanno, Nicholas S. 2
- Celanese Fibers Company (Rome, Ga.) 2
- Cordery, Joseph C. (Joseph Carl) 2
- Glass Bottle Blowers Association of the United States and Canada. Local 101 (East Point, Ga.) 2
- Hochuli, Jim 2
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters 2
- International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. Southeast Region 2
- International Printing Pressmen and Assistants' Union of North America. Printing Specialties and Paper Products Union Local 527 (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- International Typographical Union 2
- J.P. Stevens & Co. 2
- Jacobs, Joseph, 1908- 2
- Kehrer, E. T. 2
- Lorenzo, Frank 2
- Meers, Ralph 2
- Owens-Illinois Glass Company 2
- Pitts, Joseph C. (Joseph Clifton), 1937- 2
- Ray, Richard, 1941- 2
- Wilson, James Harvey 2
- AFL-CIO 1
- AFL-CIO. Atlanta Labor Council 1
- AFL-CIO. Augusta Federation of Trades. (Augusta, Ga.) 1
- AFL-CIO. Committee on Political Education 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 5 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 6 1
- AFL-CIO. Tennessee State Labor Council 1
- AFSCME. Local 3 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- AFSCME. Local 92 (Birmingham, Ala.) 1
- Alabama State Industrial Union Council 1
- Allied Kingsport Press Unions 1
- Aluminum Workers International Union 1
- Amalgamated Association of Street, Electric Railway and Motor Coach Employees of America. Division 732 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union. Central North Carolina Joint Board 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union. Local 1716 (Rome, Ga.) 1
- Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America 1
- Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butcher Workmen of North America. Local 442 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- American Can Company 1
- American Federation of Hosiery Workers 1
- American Federation of Labor 1
- American Federation of Teachers 1
- American Standard, Inc. 1
- American Transit Association 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). City Council 1
- Atlanta Fire Fighters Union 1
- Atlanta Fire Fighters Union, Independent (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Transit System 1
- Atlantic Steel Company 1
- Atomic Trades and Labor Council 1
- Augusta Central Labor Union (Augusta, Ga.) 1
- Bailey, Archer 1
- Baldanzi, George 1
- Biemiller, Andrew J. (Andrew John), 1906-1982 1
- Borman, Frank, 1928 March 14- 1
- Brewton Fashions 1
- Bricklayers, Masons, and Plasterers International Union of America. Local 8 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers (U.S.). Simpson Division 210 (Macon, Ga.) 1
- Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees 1
- Brown, Joseph M., 1851-1932 1
- Cagle (Firm : Camilla, Ga.) 1
- Chaknis, John 1
- Clinton, Bill 1
- Coalition of Black Trade Unionists (U.S.) 1
- Cobb, Howard B. 1
- Colmer, William Meyers, 1890-1980 1
- Controllers United (Organization) 1
- DeKalb General Hospital (Decatur, Ga.) 1
- Democratic Party (Miss.) 1
- Democratic Socialists of America 1
- Derrick, Earl 1
- Eastern Air Lines, inc., Strike, 1989-1991 1
- Elliott, Ron, 1947- 1
- Evers, Charles, 1922- 1
- Foote and Davies Company (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Ford Motor Company 1
- Ford Motor Company. Atlanta Assembly Plant (Hapeville, Ga.) 1
- Fritschle, C. E. 1
- Fulton Bag and Cotton Mills 1
- Gartin, Carroll, 1913-1966 1
- General Motors Corporation. Fisher Body Division 1 ∧ less