Showing Collections: 1 - 16 of 16
Abstract: AFL-CIO Human Resources Development Institute (Atlanta Office) Records, 1968-1977, contain correspondence, minutes, reports, pamphlets, and periodicals, relating to manpower and job training programs, including Comprehensive Employment and Training Act, 1973, and guidelines for applying for U.S. government grants. Persons and organizations represented include Aaron Turpeau, Walter Clifford Rucker, Atlanta Area Technical School, Atlanta Community Relations Commission, Atlanta Region Open Housing...
Abstract Anna R. Samick is one of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers’ pioneering female leaders. The Anna R. Samick International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Collection consists of photographs, artifacts, awards, certificates, and educational materials. A large amount of these materials detail a educational trip Samick made to Africa (Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Ghana) to help organized labor in the early 1990s.
Abstract: The Ecumenical Coalition of Working People was incorporated on March 15, 1979 in Atlanta, Georgia. The Coalition was organized to improve the living and working conditions of workers and their families, and sought to alleviate the historical bias against trade unions in the South by conducting labor education programs and lobbying the Georgia General Assembly.
Abstract: Established in 1990, Georgia Labor Management Conference has the mission to enhance productivity and quality at the workplace through cooperation and mutual respect between labor and management. The collection documents the governance of the organization and planning of its annual conferences, 1990s-2000s.
Dates: circa 1990-2000s
Abstract: The Labor Studies Program was established at Georgia State University in 1978 to serve the training and educational needs of working people and their labor organizations in Georgia. Its records, circa 1983-2013, document the administration of the program; courses, lectures, and seminars held under its auspices, including a class for the AFL-CIO's National Labor College; training held for union locals; and the W. J. Usery, Jr., Center for the Workplace, also at Georgia State University. The...
Dates: circa 1983-circa 2013
Abstract: The United Machinists and Mechanical Engineers of America was founded in 1888. In 1889, the name changed to the National Association of Machinists. Two years later, it became known as the International Association of Machinists and in 1965, this was changed to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers Collection documents the growth of a machinists union, founded in Atlanta, into an international union....
Dates: 1891-2002; Majority of material found within 1935 - 1989
Abstract: Manuals, correspondence, printed material, and notes describe political, vocational, and labor education in the Southern and Mid-Western states, Panama and Puerto Rico, 1947-1971.
Abstract: Jimi Richards served as the Secretary-Treasurer and Manager of International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 728, Atlanta (Ga.). The Jimi Richards collection, 1988-2003, contains correspondence, organizing materials, agreements, bylaws, local newsletters, election materials, printed materials, videocassette tapes, and case documents of Locals 728, 528, and 928 (Atlanta, Ga.)
Abstract: Letters and printed material concern labor and the Boy Scouts.
Abstract: The collection consists of records of the United Domestic Workers Union (U.S) from 1965-1979. The correspondence (1965-1979) reflects Bolden's efforts in organizing the Union and includes such correspondents as Julian Bond, Senator Sam Nunn, Senator Herman Talmadge, Allen Williams, Andrew Young, and other Georgia and national political figures. The subject files (1967-1979) cover a myriad of topics illustrating the Union's involvement in the Black community, the Manpower Program, the Career...
Abstract: The North Carolina State Federation of Labor was organized in 1907 and held annual conventions until 1957. The North Carolina State AFL-CIO was then organized in 1958. The collection consists of administrative files, 1945, 1949-1981, and also includes material regarding the North Carolina gubernatorial campaign of Wilbur Hobby, president of the North Carolina State AFL-CIO.
Abstract The Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection is an artificial collection of original pamphlets, reports, articles, directories, and other printed materials, that were donated over the years to the Archives. It is organized by subject.
Dates: circa 1969-1990
Abstract: The Southern States Apprenticeship Conference (SSAC) records include documentation for all stages of preparation, planning, operation, participation, and activity of the annual conference.
Dates: 1951-1991; Majority of material found within 1971 - 1977
Abstract: Stanton E. Smith (born 1905) was a labor leader in Chattanooga, Tennessee. He served as President of the Tennessee Federation of Labor and of the Tennessee State Labor Council. Smith's papers, 1938-1973, are comprised primarily of correspondence and other documents relating to his duties in those organizations, the Chattanooga Central Labor Union, and the Southern Labor School. The papers also include photographs and printed material.
Abstract: William E. Clitheroe (1906-1972) was born in Millhill, England. He was an education director of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers and a staff member of the Texas AFL-CIO headquarters in Austin, Texas. His papers contain material related to AFL-CIO Region 6, contracts and agreements, speeches, and printed material, 1956 to 1971.
Abstract: The Wood, Wire and Metal Lathers' International Union was founded in 1899. Local 234 was located in Atlanta, Georgia. This collection includes Lathers' Craft Problems and Reference Book, lathers' apprentice training and instruction manual, Local 234 apprentice school journal (December 1964-October 1974), and worksite photographs (March 1975).
Dates: 1964-1975, undated
- Subject: Labor unions and education X
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers 3
- AFL-CIO 2
- Clitheroe, William E. 2
- Georgia Labor Management Conference, Inc. 2
- Georgia State University. Labor Studies Program 2
- International Association of Machinists. Southeastern Region. Office of Education 2
- LaPorte, Philip A. 2
- Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority 2
- AFL-CIO. Committee on Political Education 1
- AFL-CIO. Human Resources Development Institute 1
- AFL-CIO. Industrial Union Department 1
- AFL-CIO. Public Employee Department 1
- AFL-CIO. Tennessee State Labor Council 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union 1
- Atlanta Area Technical School 1
- Atlanta Community Relations Commission 1
- Atlanta Region Open Housing Coalition 1
- Barbee, William M. 1
- Bolden, Dorothy 1
- Bond, Julian 1
- Boy Scouts of America 1
- Britt, E. A. 1
- Carolina Skills Advancement Center 1
- Chattanooga Central Labor Union 1
- Clement, Frank Goad 1
- Eastern Air Lines 1
- Economic Opportunity Atlanta 1
- Ecumenical Coalition of Working People 1
- Equal Opportunity Atlanta 1
- Gay, Joel 1
- Green, Herb (Herbert C.) 1
- Hobby, Wilbur 1
- Hoffa, James P., 1941- 1
- Houk, Charles M. 1
- International Association of Machinists 1
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters 1
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Local 528 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Local 728 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Irwin, Joseph, Reverend 1
- J.P. Stevens & Co. 1
- Kefauver, Estes 1
- McDevitt, James L. (James Lawrence), 1898-1963 1
- Meany, George, 1894-1980 1
- National Domestic Workers Union (U.S.) 1
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO 1
- Northwest Airlines, inc. 1
- Overnite Transportation Company 1
- Richards, Jimi (James E.) 1
- Rucker, Walter Clifford, 1936- 1
- Samick, Anna R. 1
- Scott, Christopher 1
- Smith, Stanton E. (Stanton Everett), 1905- 1
- Southern Labor School 1
- Southern States Apprenticeship Conference 1
- Tennessee Committee on Political Education 1
- Tennessee Federation of Labor 1
- Tennessee League for Political Education 1
- Turpeau, Aaron 1
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America 1
- United Parcel Service 1
- United States Railroad Labor Board 1
- United States. Comprehensive Employment and Training Act of 1973 1
- United States. Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 1
- W.J. Usery Center for the Workplace 1
- Williams, Allen 1
- Winpisinger, William W. 1
- Wood, Wire, and Metal Lathers' International Union. Local 234 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Young, Andrew, 1932- 1 ∧ less