Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 96
Abstract: A. Steve Nance was a key figure in Southern labor history during the 1930s. He was President of the Atlanta Federation of Trades, and worked with the Textile Workers Organizing Committee in Georgia, as well as throughout the South. Nance also worked with the fledgling alternative state labor federation in Georgia during 1937. The A. Steve Nance papers contain correspondence, speech transcripts, Georgia Federation of Labor memos, NLRB mediation files for two Atlanta hat manufacturers, and...
Dates: 1930-1956; Majority of material found within 1930 - 1938
Abstract: AFL-CIO Region 5 (known as Region 6 until 1973) encompassed Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. The records consists of correspondence, newsletters, memos and reports, covering AFL-CIO's stand on political issues and candidates for office, lobbying, political campaigns, internal problems, and general business.
Abstract: The collection consists of correspondence, office memoranda and printed material maintained by the regional director’s office in Atlanta, Georgia.
Abstract: In 1955 when the American Federation of Labor (AFL) and the Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO) merged, it created AFL-CIO Region 8 encompassing Tennessee and Kentucky with Paul Christopher as Director. North and South Carolina became part of Region 5 directed by Carey Haigler. The 1964 reorganization of the AFL-CIO placed Tennessee, North Carolina, and South Carolina in Region 8 with Christopher as Director and Haigler as Assistant Director. After Christopher's death in 1974, Region 8...
Dates: 1940-1974; Majority of material found within 1956 - 1974
Abstract: AFL-CIO Region 8 records are organized into five series: (I) United Textile Workers of America, 1934-1937; (II) Textile Workers Organizing Committee (TWOC)/Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA), 1937-1940; (III) Tennessee State Industrial Union Council (TSIUC-CIO), 1940-1953; (IV) Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO), Region 4 (Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, and South Carolina), 1953-1955; and (V) AFL-CIO Region 8, 1955-1969. The periods of Paul R. Christopher's career as a union...
Abstract: The Alliance for Labor Action, intended to be an alternative to the AFL-CIO, was a federation of autonomous unions which acted to promote social concerns and to organize the unorganized. The Alliance, originally the Teamsters and the United Automobile Workers, later joined by the Chemical Workers and the Distributive Workers, was formed in April 1969 and disbanded in December 1971. Records of the Alliance for Labor Action consist primarily of files pertaining to the social concerns, as well as...
Abstract: The Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union (ACTWU) vs. Cannon Mills Scrapbooks contains three scrapbooks of printed material, 1976-1991, when the union attempted to organize Cannon Mills (Kannapolis, N.C.). The scrapbooks cover textile industry issues such brown lung, the ACTWU's involvement in other mills, and Kannapolis' problems with illiteracy and crumbling infrastructure. The bulk of materials in the ACTWU vs. Cannon Mills Scrapbooks fall between 1976 and 1981.
Dates: 1976-1991; Majority of material found within 1980 - 1981
Abstract: Southern Region, Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America records are made up of office files, including correspondence; files documenting the activities of some local unions; and court hearings related to two cases.
American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), Local 3 (Atlanta, Ga.) records
Abstract: American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, AFL-CIO, Local 3 (Atlanta, Ga.) records, 1951-1974, consist of correspondence, minutes, financial documents, legal files and printed material. Included are minutes of Greater Atlanta Public Employees District Council 14, 1966-1967, 1972. The records illuminate the local's daily concern with group insurance policies, membership maintenance, pensions, organizing in greater Atlanta area (particularly DeKalb County), legislative...
Abstract: The American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees(AFSCME), Local 1644 (Atlanta, Ga.) represents public sector workers in the metropolitan Atlanta area, including hospital, sanitation, and other municipal workers. The records of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, Local 1644 (Atlanta, Ga.), 1949-2001, include correspondence, meeting minutes, membership lists, petitions, constitutions, policy and procedures manuals, grievances, newspaper clippings,...
Abstract: The records of the American Federation of Teachers, Southern Organizing Project, 1978-1979, consist primarily of printed promotional materials.
Abstract: Local 32 of the United Federation of Postal Clerks merged into the American Postal Workers Union, AFL-CIO, Atlanta, Georgia in 1971. The records consist primarily of the administrative and office files of General President Wallace Baldwin, Jr., including correspondence, reports, minutes, constitutions and by-laws, contract negotiations, training materials, arbitration and grievances, newspaper clips, administrative files, and other printed materials.
Abstract: The Atlanta Labor Council was formed in 1958 by the merger of the Atlanta Federation of Trades, AFL, and the Atlanta Industrial Union Council, CIO. Its records are composed of office files, financial documents, membership records, minutes, photographs, and printed material of the Atlanta Labor Council and affiliated organizations, 1915-1969 (bulk 1956-1969).
Abstract: The Atlanta Labor Council was formed in 1958 by the merger of the Atlanta Federation of Trades, AFL, and the Atlanta Industrial Union Council, CIO. Its records are composed of proceedings, constitutions, contracts, convention materials, periodicals, pamphlets, and printed material of the Atlanta Labor Council and affiliated organizations, 1965-1990 (bulk 1967-1980).
Dates: 1965-1990; Majority of material found within 1967 - 1980
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the Augusta Federation of Trade (AFT) from 1958-1974 and its predecessor, the Augusta Central Labor Union (ACLU), from 1943-1957. Includes minutes of the ACLU (1943-1957) outlining concerns of the organization, efforts to protect a local labor newspaper from advertising encroachment, and support for the Augusta bus drivers strike (1953-1955). Also contains minutes of the AFT (1965-1969), correspondence (1965-1974), financial documents (1963-1974), and...
Abstract: The Benjamin Franklin Haley collection, 1964-1967, contains weekly reports of Haley's work as an organizer of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, Southern States Organizing Office. These reports describe metropolitan Atlanta's construction activity in terms of union employment and growth.
Abstract: In 1958, the Birmingham Federation of Labor and the Birmingham Industrial Union Council merged to form the AFL-CIO, Birmingham (Alabama) Labor Council. Records, 1954-1965, include minutes of the Birmingham Federation of Labor and the Birmingham Industrial Union Council, 1955-1958, and of the Birmingham Labor Council, AFL-CIO, 1964-1965, and correspondence, financial documents, printed material, and photographs.
Scope and Content of the Records These records, spanning 1918-1978, contain correspondence, reference material, minutes and proceedings, agreements and union constitutions, legal documents, and financial documents. They reflect Edgar McDonald Broom's service to the Brotherhood of Railway and Airline and Steamship Clerks, as System Board 96's Assistant General Chairman, General Chairman, General Chairman Emeritus and as a student at Harvard's Trade Union Program. Most of the records relate to Southern Railway workers and the...
Abstract: Carey Haigler (1902- ) was a labor union official with the AFL-CIO. His papers, 1905, 1933-1970, include correspondence, minutes, and printed material relating to the Alabama Iron and Steel Council (1905, 1933-1935); correspondence, financial documents, minutes, speeches, reports, and printed material documenting the Alabama CIO (1942-1956); and correspondence, financial documents, diaries, work reports, speeches, broadcast scripts, and printed material relating to Region 8 of the AFL-CIO...
Dates: 1905, 1933-1970
- Subject: Labor unions -- Organizing X
- International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers 8
- Textile Workers Union of America 7
- AFL-CIO 5
- General Electric Company 4
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters 4
- Meany, George, 1894-1980 4
- United Textile Workers of America 4
- AFL-CIO. Atlanta Labor Council 3
- AFL-CIO. Region 8 (Knoxville, Tenn.) 3
- AFSCME. District Council 14 (Atlanta, Ga.) 3
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union 3
- American Federation of Labor 3
- Baldanzi, George 3
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers 3
- United Association of Plumbers and Steam Fitters of the United States and Canada 3
- United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America 3
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 3
- United Steelworkers of America 3
- Whitmire, Roy 3
- AFL-CIO. Committee on Political Education 2
- AFSCME 2
- AFSCME. Local 1644 (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- American Federation of Teachers 2
- Archer, Thomas D. 2
- Association of Flight Attendants (U.S.) 2
- Congress of Industrial Organizations (U.S.) 2
- Florida AFL-CIO 2
- Giles, J. W. (James William), 1925- 2
- Haigler, Carey 2
- International Brotherhood of Paper Makers 2
- International Brotherhood of Teamsters. Local 528 (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union 2
- International Union of Operating Engineers. Local 926 (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- International Woodworkers of America 2
- J.P. Stevens & Co. 2
- McGill, Eula, 1911-2003 2
- North Georgia Building and Construction Trades Council 2
- Office and Professional Employees International Union 2
- Riffe, John, 1904-1958 2
- Schnitzler, F. William (Frank William), 1904- 2
- Scripto (Firm : Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- Singleton, Oliver W., 1908-1989 2
- Transport Workers Union of America 2
- United Association of Plumbers and Steam Fitters of the United States and Canada. Local 72 (Atlanta, Ga.) 2
- United Mine Workers of America 2
- United Papermakers and Paperworkers 2
- United Paperworkers International Union 2
- United Paperworkers of America 2
- United Textile Workers of America. Southern Region. Area B 2
- Williams, Arden 2
- AFL-CIO. Alabama Labor Council 1
- AFL-CIO. Augusta Federation of Trades. (Augusta, Ga.) 1
- AFL-CIO. Birmingham Labor Council (Birmingham, Ala.) 1
- AFL-CIO. Building and Construction Trades Department 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 5 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 6 1
- AFL-CIO. South Carolina Labor Council 1
- AFSCME. Local 3 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- AFSCME. Local 92 (Birmingham, Ala.) 1
- Abel, I. W. (Iorwith Wilbur), 1908-1987 1
- Aberle Hosiery Company (Columbia, Tenn.) 1
- Adkins, Herman B. 1
- Alabama Iron and Steel Council 1
- Alliance for Labor Action 1
- Aluminum Workers International Union 1
- Amalgamated Association of Iron, Steel, and Tin Workers. Local 1131 (Birmingham, Ala.) 1
- Amalgamated Association of Street and Electric Railway Employees of America. Local 732 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America 1
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America. Southern Region 1
- American Flint Glass Workers' Union 1
- American Postal Workers Union 1
- American Postal Workers Union. Atlanta Local 32 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Arkwright, Preston S. (Preston Stanley) 1
- Atlanta Building Trades Council 1
- Atlanta Federation of Trades 1
- Atlanta Fire Fighters Union 1
- Atlanta Housing Authority 1
- Atomic Trades and Labor Council 1
- Augusta Central Labor Union (Augusta, Ga.) 1
- Backus, Tom (Thomas H.) 1
- Bader, Jesse M. (Jesse Moren) 1
- Barber, Harry T. 1
- Barrett, James F. 1
- Beirne, Joseph A. 1
- Biemiller, Andrew J. (Andrew John), 1906-1982 1
- Birmingham Federation of Labor (Birmingham, Ala.) 1
- Birmingham Industrial Union Council (Birmingham, Ala.) 1
- Boeing Aerospace Company 1
- Bolden, Dorothy 1
- Bonanno, Nicholas S. 1
- Bond, Julian 1
- Broom, E. M. (Edgar McDonald) 1
- Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners (U.S.) 1
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers of America 1
- Brotherhood of Painters, Decorators, and Paperhangers of America. Local 1018 (Richmond, Va.) 1
- Brotherhood of Railway, Airline, and Steamship Clerks, Freight Handlers, Express, and Station Employes 1
- Brotherhood of Railway, Airline, and Steamship Clerks, Freight Handlers, Express, and Station Employes. Southern Railroad System Board of Adjustment 1
- Building Service Employees' International Union 1
- Cagle (Firm : Camilla, Ga.) 1
- Cannon Mills Company 1 ∧ less