Showing Collections: 1 - 18 of 18
Abstract: A. Steve Nance was a key figure in Southern labor history during the 1930s. He was President of the Atlanta Federation of Trades, and worked with the Textile Workers Organizing Committee in Georgia, as well as throughout the South. Nance also worked with the fledgling alternative state labor federation in Georgia during 1937. The A. Steve Nance papers contain correspondence, speech transcripts, Georgia Federation of Labor memos, NLRB mediation files for two Atlanta hat manufacturers, and...
Dates: 1930-1956; Majority of material found within 1930 - 1938
Abstract: AFL-CIO Region 8 records are organized into five series: (I) United Textile Workers of America, 1934-1937; (II) Textile Workers Organizing Committee (TWOC)/Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA), 1937-1940; (III) Tennessee State Industrial Union Council (TSIUC-CIO), 1940-1953; (IV) Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO), Region 4 (Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, and South Carolina), 1953-1955; and (V) AFL-CIO Region 8, 1955-1969. The periods of Paul R. Christopher's career as a union...
Abstract: The Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union (ACTWU) vs. Cannon Mills Scrapbooks contains three scrapbooks of printed material, 1976-1991, when the union attempted to organize Cannon Mills (Kannapolis, N.C.). The scrapbooks cover textile industry issues such brown lung, the ACTWU's involvement in other mills, and Kannapolis' problems with illiteracy and crumbling infrastructure. The bulk of materials in the ACTWU vs. Cannon Mills Scrapbooks fall between 1976 and 1981.
Dates: 1976-1991; Majority of material found within 1980 - 1981
Abstract: Southern Region, Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America records are made up of office files, including correspondence; files documenting the activities of some local unions; and court hearings related to two cases.
Abstract: Charles "Lewis" Ross (1914-1984) worked as a textile mechanic and was very active in the organization efforts of the Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA) at the Celanese (before 1947, the Tubize) Corporation in Rome, Georgia. The papers consist of: union constitutions (CIO, Georgia State Industrial Union Council, TWUA local 689), contracts, grievances and memoranda from TWUA Washington Representative, John W. Edelman, to all Union Members, 1948-1950; pamphlets pertaining to racial and...
Abstract: Don McKee, born in 1916, was a union organizer for the Textile Workers Union of America and a professor at Upsala College. Don McKee's Textile Workers Union of America Organizing Files consist of organizer reports from 1939 to 1949, organizing campaign publicity materials, union literature and a copy of his manuscript, "Organizing Southern Textile Workers: Early Days with the CIO."
Dates: 1939-1953, 1999
Abstract: Eula McGill was an organizer in the Southern textile factory worker movement of the 1930s. Her papers contain scrapbook material, composed of newspapers, clippings, and programs, which pertains to her organizing activities for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America in Tennessee and other topics.
Abstract: Fred Halstead worked as an organizer for the Textile Workers Union of America throughout the South during the 1950s and 1960s, and took part in strikes in South Georgia and Alabama. Halstead's papers include Textile Workers Union of America activity reports relating his various organizing campaigns, 1959, 1961-1967. The papers include histories of strikes in South Georgia and Alabama, minutes of the Los Angeles Joint Board, correspondence and printed material.
Abstract: International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union, Southeast Regional Office records, circa 1950s-1990s, contain correspondence, business contracts, negotiations, agreements, court documents, and strike materials. Also represented are audio tapes, video tapes, photography, and plaques.
Dates: circa 1950s-1990s
Abstract: Marc R. Levinson was a journalist and news editor of Creative Loafing, an Atlanta weekly. His papers, 1975-1979, contain three series. The AFSCME Local 1644/City of Atlanta series includes correspondence, news clippings, news releases, and printed materials relating to a strike by Local 1644 (Atlanta, Ga.) of the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) against the City of Atlanta in 1977. The Amalgamated Clothing and Textile...
Abstract: Roy Groenert, former president of United Textile Workers Local 2563, was Director of Organization for the UTWA. Groenert's papers illuminate his interests in local union affairs, in organizing, and in the UTWA's suit which brought enforcement of the no-raid pacts signed after the merger of the AFL-CIO.
Abstract: The Georgia-Tennessee-Alabama Area Joint Board of the Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA-GTA) provides support and leadership to the several TWUA local unions in northwest Georgia, northeast Alabama, and the Chattanooga area of Tennessee. Its records, 1952-1980, consist of correspondence, minutes, contract negotiation papers, grievance cases and printed items of the six TWUA Local unions in the area.
Abstract: This collection consists of union documentation regarding the foundation and management of the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union Local 185 and its relationship with the Crown Cotton Mill, both of Dalton, Georgia. The collection concerns the operation and management ACTWUA Local 185 from its establishment in the 1940s through the 1960s.
Abstract The collection consists of oral history interviews and transcripts, production footage and publicity materials related to the creation of the "Uprising of '34" documentary. Veterans or their descendants were interviewed about mill life, work conditions, southern culture, as well as the strike itself. These interviews were incorporated into the production itself.
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the United Textile Workers of America from 1936-1995. This collection contains documentation about the local unions in the UTWA, both in the United States and Canada. Information on mergers, strikes, finances and conventions is included in these papers. These records were from the UTWA, Southern Region.
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the United Textile Workers of America, Southern Region, Area A from 1956-1975. Correspondence (1957-1972) comprises the bulk of the collection. The company files (1957-1967) contain NLRB case material, minutes of negotiation meetings, contract proposals, and financial statements. The collection also includes activity reports, printed material, financial documents, and photographs.
Abstract: The Records, 1945-1975, of United Textile Workers Union, Southern Region, Area B, consist of correspondence, minutes, legal and financial documents, and printed materials.
Abstract: The Records, 1972-1973, of the United Textile Workers of America, Southern Region Area B, consist of correspondence and various printed material created by Roy Whitmire as regional codirector. Correspondents include Everrett (also Southern Codirector) and the International officers and representatives of the TWUA. Topics discussed include NLRB elections, UTWA and TWUA organizing efforts, labor education.
- Southern States 10
- Labor leaders 6
- Labor union locals 6
- Textile industry 6
- Georgia 3
- Textile workers 3
- Atlanta (Ga.) 2
- Industrial relations 2
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 2
- Labor unions 2
- Labor unions -- Political activity 2
- North Carolina 2
- South Carolina 2
- Strikes and lockouts 2
- Strikes and lockouts -- Textile industry 2
- Tennessee 2
- West Virginia 2
- Alabama 1
- Athens (Tenn.) 1
- Bluefield (W. Va.) 1
- Byssinosis 1
- Calhoun (Ga.) 1
- Camilla (Ga.) 1
- Chattanooga (Tenn.) 1
- Clothing trade 1
- Columbia (Tenn.) 1
- Dalton (Ga.) 1
- Government employee unions 1
- Grievance arbitration 1
- Journalists 1
- Kannapolis (N.C.) 1
- Labor unions -- Jurisdictional disputes 1
- Los Angeles (Calif.) 1
- Municipal officials and employees 1
- Municipal officials and employees -- Labor unions 1
- Newberry (S.C.) 1
- Poultry industry 1
- Poultry industry -- Employees 1
- Prairie du Chien (Wis.) 1
- Rome (Ga.) 1
- Rossville (Ga.) 1
- Spartanburg (S.C.) 1
- Spruce Pine (N.C.) 1
- Textile Workers' Strike, Southern States, 1934 1
- Textile factories 1
- Women in the labor movement 1
- Women labor leaders 1
- Women labor union members 1
- documentaries (motion picture genre) 1
- oral histories (document genres) 1 ∧ less
- Textile Workers Union of America 5
- United Textile Workers of America 4
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union 3
- Baldanzi, George 3
- Whitmire, Roy 3
- McGill, Eula, 1911-2003 2
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 2
- United Textile Workers of America. Southern Region. Area B 2
- AFL-CIO. Region 8 (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- AFSCME. Local 1644 (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Aberle Hosiery Company (Columbia, Tenn.) 1
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America 1
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America. Southern Region 1
- Atlanta Federation of Trades 1
- Cagle (Firm : Camilla, Ga.) 1
- Cannon Mills Company 1
- Celanese Fibers Company (Rome, Ga.) 1
- Crown Cotton Mills Co. (Dalton, Whitfield County, Ga.) 1
- Dean, Everett 1
- Dixie Manufacturing Company 1
- Farah Manufacturing Company 1
- Groenert, Roy 1
- Haberthear, Harry 1
- Halstead, Freddie Elmer 1
- Hard Times Productions, Inc. 1
- Helfand, Judith 1
- Holston Manufacturing Company (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union 1
- International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. Southeast Region 1
- J.P. Stevens & Co. 1
- Jacobs, Joseph, 1908- 1
- Kenyon Southern (Rossville, Ga.) 1
- Lawson United Feldspar and Mineral Company (Spruce Pine, N.C.) 1
- Levinson, Marc R. 1
- McKee, Don, 1916- 1
- Nance, A. Steve, 1895-1938 1
- Newberry Mills (Newberry, S.C.) 1
- P. Garvin (Firm : Spartanburg, S.C.) 1
- Rainbow Processing Company (Chattanooga, Tenn.) 1
- Research Consortium for the Southwide Textile Strike of 1934 1
- Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union 1
- Ridge Textile Company (Athens, Tenn.) 1
- Rieve, Emil, 1892-1975 1
- Ross, Charles L. (Charles Lewis), 1914-1984 1
- Roxbury Southern Mills (Chattanooga, Tenn.) 1
- Schaufenbil, Frances 1
- Shanker, Albert 1
- Stoney, George C. 1
- T.I.L. Sportsware Company (Aberdeen, Miss.) 1
- Tennessee State Industrial Union Council 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Georgia-Tennessee-Alabama Area Joint Board 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 1592 (Calhoun, Ga.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 1672 (Chattanooga, Tenn.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 1829 (Columbia, Tenn.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 185 (Dalton, Ga.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 2094 (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 2202 (Athens, Tenn.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 2303 (Rossville, Ga.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Local 689 (Rome, Ga.) 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Los Angeles Joint Board 1
- United Mine Workers of America 1
- United Piece Dye Works (Bluefield, W.Va.) 1
- United States. National War Labor Board (1942-1945) 1
- United Textile Workers of America. Southern Region. Area A 1
- Venture Carpets (Calhoun, Ga.) 1
- Wurf, Jerry, 1919-1981 1 ∧ less