Showing Collections: 1 - 8 of 8
Abstract: AFL-CIO Region 8 records are organized into five series: (I) United Textile Workers of America, 1934-1937; (II) Textile Workers Organizing Committee (TWOC)/Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA), 1937-1940; (III) Tennessee State Industrial Union Council (TSIUC-CIO), 1940-1953; (IV) Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO), Region 4 (Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, and South Carolina), 1953-1955; and (V) AFL-CIO Region 8, 1955-1969. The periods of Paul R. Christopher's career as a union...
Abstract: The collection contains materials related to attorney and union organizer Joseph Jacobs's work in the labor and civic community. Specifically, the papers cover his activities in the fields of labor, the Workmen's Circle (Arbeiter Ring), the Georgia Humanities Council and the Georgia Democratic Party.
Abstract: Roy Groenert, former president of United Textile Workers Local 2563, was Director of Organization for the UTWA. Groenert's papers illuminate his interests in local union affairs, in organizing, and in the UTWA's suit which brought enforcement of the no-raid pacts signed after the merger of the AFL-CIO.
Abstract In 1934, Southern textile workers took the lead in a nationwide strike that saw half a million workers walk off their jobs in the largest single-industry strike in the history of the United States. This finding aid describes the digitized oral history-style interviews available in Georiga State University Library's Digital Collections.
Abstract The United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 2598T (Enka, N.C.) represents workers who first organized as rayon workers of American Enka Corporation. The mill has chiefly produced Rayon and Nylon, although currently produces only carpeting. Although organized by the United Textile Workers of America (UTWA) for most of its existence, the local is now a textile peripheral of UFCW. At its height, the local had 1500 members which has since dwindled to approximately 200. This collection...
Abstract: The United Food and Commercial Workers Local 815T represented textile workers employed by the America Enka Company in Morristown, Tennessee. The records include meeting minutes, strike and protest organization materials, union membership and leadership rosters, member resignation records, union election records, business contracts, grievances, arbitration, and negotiations, benefits information, trial records, and records of the union local’s history with both the UFCW and the UTWA.
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the United Textile Workers of America from 1936-1995. This collection contains documentation about the local unions in the UTWA, both in the United States and Canada. Information on mergers, strikes, finances and conventions is included in these papers. These records were from the UTWA, Southern Region.
Abstract: The Records, 1972-1973, of the United Textile Workers of America, Southern Region Area B, consist of correspondence and various printed material created by Roy Whitmire as regional codirector. Correspondents include Everrett (also Southern Codirector) and the International officers and representatives of the TWUA. Topics discussed include NLRB elections, UTWA and TWUA organizing efforts, labor education.
- Labor unions -- Organizing 4
- Textile industry 4
- Labor leaders 3
- Grievance arbitration 2
- Industrial relations 2
- Labor union locals 2
- Labor unions -- Political activity 2
- North Carolina 2
- Southern States 2
- Textile workers 2
- Asheville (N.C.) 1
- Atlanta (Ga.) 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Labor unions -- Jurisdictional disputes 1
- Labor unions -- Recognition 1
- Lawyers 1
- Morristown (Tenn.) 1
- Prairie du Chien (Wis.) 1
- Race relations 1
- South Carolina 1
- Strikes and lockouts -- Textile industry 1
- Textile Workers' Strike, Southern States, 1934 1
- West Virginia 1
- Women textile workers 1
- Working class -- Songs and music 1 ∧ less
- American Enka Company 2
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union 2
- Whitmire, Roy 2
- AFL-CIO. Region 8 (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union 1
- Democratic Party (Ga.) 1
- Georgia Humanities Council 1
- Groenert, Roy 1
- Helfand, Judith 1
- Jacobs, Joseph, 1908- 1
- Jervis, John E. (John Elwood), 1909-1984 1
- Ku Klux Klan (1915-) 1
- Stoney, George C. 1
- Textile Workers Union of America 1
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union. Local 2598T (Enka, N.C.) 1
- United Food and Commercial Workers International Union. Local 815T (Morristown, Tenn.) 1
- United States. National Recovery Administration 1
- United Textile Workers of America. Local 2598 (Enka, N.C.) 1
- United Textile Workers of America. Local 815 (Morristown, Tenn.) 1
- United Textile Workers of America. Southern Region. Area B 1
- Workmen's Circle (U.S.) 1 ∧ less