Showing Collections: 1 - 15 of 15
Abstract: A. Steve Nance was a key figure in Southern labor history during the 1930s. He was President of the Atlanta Federation of Trades, and worked with the Textile Workers Organizing Committee in Georgia, as well as throughout the South. Nance also worked with the fledgling alternative state labor federation in Georgia during 1937. The A. Steve Nance papers contain correspondence, speech transcripts, Georgia Federation of Labor memos, NLRB mediation files for two Atlanta hat manufacturers, and...
Dates: 1930-1956; Majority of material found within 1930 - 1938
Abstract: AFL-CIO Region 8 records are organized into five series: (I) United Textile Workers of America, 1934-1937; (II) Textile Workers Organizing Committee (TWOC)/Textile Workers Union of America (TWUA), 1937-1940; (III) Tennessee State Industrial Union Council (TSIUC-CIO), 1940-1953; (IV) Congress of Industrial Organizations (CIO), Region 4 (Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, and South Carolina), 1953-1955; and (V) AFL-CIO Region 8, 1955-1969. The periods of Paul R. Christopher's career as a union...
Abstract: The Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union Georgia-Tennessee-Alabama Joint Board collection contains grievance files, arbitration files, newspaper clippings, publications, meeting minutes, training manuals, contracts, negotiations, union-management meeting transcripts, and correspondence from 1963-1993.
Abstract: Southern Region, Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America records are made up of office files, including correspondence; files documenting the activities of some local unions; and court hearings related to two cases.
Abstract: Don McKee, born in 1916, was a union organizer for the Textile Workers Union of America and a professor at Upsala College. Don McKee's Textile Workers Union of America Organizing Files consist of organizer reports from 1939 to 1949, organizing campaign publicity materials, union literature and a copy of his manuscript, "Organizing Southern Textile Workers: Early Days with the CIO."
Dates: 1939-1953, 1999
Abstract: E.T. (Edward Thomas) "Al" Kehrer (1921-1996) was a labor union official born near Brighton, Michigan. Kehrer served as the Southeastern Regional Director of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union (ILGWU) (1953-1964) and Southern Director for the AFL-CIO Civil Rights Department (1965-1989). His papers, 1940-1989, include records relating to educational activities (1940-1950); professional activities files (1953-1980) containing correspondence, expense reports, and weekly calendars...
Abstract: Eula McGill was an organizer in the Southern textile factory worker movement of the 1930s. Her papers contain scrapbook material, composed of newspapers, clippings, and programs, which pertains to her organizing activities for the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America in Tennessee and other topics.
Abstract: Fred Halstead worked as an organizer for the Textile Workers Union of America throughout the South during the 1950s and 1960s, and took part in strikes in South Georgia and Alabama. Halstead's papers include Textile Workers Union of America activity reports relating his various organizing campaigns, 1959, 1961-1967. The papers include histories of strikes in South Georgia and Alabama, minutes of the Los Angeles Joint Board, correspondence and printed material.
Abstract: The Southeast Region office of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union opened in 1937. Its records, circa 1950s-1970s, contain correspondence, collective bargaining contracts, contract and strike negotiations, agreements, National Labor Relations Board materials, and strike materials. The bulk of the material relates to a strike against Marlene Industries in Westmoreland, Tennessee.
Abstract: International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union, Southeast Regional Office records, circa 1950s-1990s, contain correspondence, business contracts, negotiations, agreements, court documents, and strike materials. Also represented are audio tapes, video tapes, photography, and plaques.
Dates: circa 1950s-1990s
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the Southeastern Regional Office of the International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union from 1945-1980. Includes administrative records (1945-1977) containing correspondence to or from Jack Handler, Regional Counsel, Directors E.T. Kehrer, Martin J. Morand and Nick Bonanno; subject files relating to farm workers, the General Electric strike (1960), organizing activities in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and; the 1960 Presidential election; financial records;...
Abstract The collection consists of oral history interviews and transcripts, production footage and publicity materials related to the creation of the "Uprising of '34" documentary. Veterans or their descendants were interviewed about mill life, work conditions, southern culture, as well as the strike itself. These interviews were incorporated into the production itself.
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the United Textile Workers of America from 1936-1995. This collection contains documentation about the local unions in the UTWA, both in the United States and Canada. Information on mergers, strikes, finances and conventions is included in these papers. These records were from the UTWA, Southern Region.
Abstract: The collection consists of the records of the United Textile Workers of America, Southern Region, Area A from 1956-1975. Correspondence (1957-1972) comprises the bulk of the collection. The company files (1957-1967) contain NLRB case material, minutes of negotiation meetings, contract proposals, and financial statements. The collection also includes activity reports, printed material, financial documents, and photographs.
Abstract The Workers United, Southern Region Records consist of contracts, grievances, negotiation materials, correspondence, constitutions and videotapes, 1980-2013. Workers United grew out of a series of older textile workers unions including ILGWU, UNITE!, UNITE HERE, ACTWU, ACWU, and TWUA.
- Labor unions -- Organizing 10
- Labor leaders 6
- Textile industry 6
- Georgia 3
- Strikes and lockouts -- Textile industry 3
- Women labor union members 3
- Atlanta (Ga.) 2
- Clothing trade 2
- Collective bargaining 2
- Industrial relations 2
- Labor union locals 2
- Labor unions 2
- Tennessee 2
- Textile workers 2
- Alabama 1
- Arbitration, Industrial 1
- Civil rights 1
- Collective bargaining -- Textile industry 1
- Collective labor agreements 1
- Knoxville (Tenn.) 1
- Labor unions -- Political activity 1
- Los Angeles (Calif.) 1
- North Carolina 1
- Strikes and lockouts 1
- Textile Workers' Strike, Southern States, 1934 1
- Textile factories 1
- Virginia 1
- Westmoreland (Tenn.) 1
- Women in the labor movement 1
- Women labor leaders 1
- documentaries (motion picture genre) 1
- minutes (administrative records) 1
- motion pictures (visual work) 1
- oral histories (document genres) 1 ∧ less
- Textile Workers Union of America 4
- United States. National Labor Relations Board 4
- International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union 3
- International Ladies' Garment Workers' Union. Southeast Region 3
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union 2
- Kehrer, E. T. 2
- McGill, Eula, 1911-2003 2
- United Textile Workers of America 2
- AFL-CIO. Civil Rights Department 1
- AFL-CIO. Region 8 (Knoxville, Tenn.) 1
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America 1
- Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America. Southern Region 1
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union. Georgia-Tennessee-Alabama Joint Board 1
- Atlanta Federation of Trades 1
- Baldanzi, George 1
- Bonanno, Nicholas S. 1
- Brewton Fashions 1
- Dean, Everett 1
- Dixie Manufacturing Company 1
- Farah Manufacturing Company 1
- General Electric Company 1
- Haberthear, Harry 1
- Halstead, Freddie Elmer 1
- Handler, Jack G. 1
- Hard Times Productions, Inc. 1
- Helfand, Judith 1
- J.P. Stevens & Co. 1
- Jacobs, Joseph, 1908- 1
- Loray Corporation 1
- Marlene Industries Corporation 1
- McKee, Don, 1916- 1
- Morand, Martin J. 1
- Nance, A. Steve, 1895-1938 1
- Oneita Knitting Mills (Andrews, S.C.) 1
- Research Consortium for the Southwide Textile Strike of 1934 1
- Schaufenbil, Frances 1
- Stoney, George C. 1
- T.I.L. Sportsware Company (Aberdeen, Miss.) 1
- Tennessee State Industrial Union Council 1
- Textile Workers Union of America. Los Angeles Joint Board 1
- United Mine Workers of America 1
- United States. National War Labor Board (1942-1945) 1
- United Textile Workers of America. Southern Region. Area A 1
- Whitmire, Roy 1
- Workers United. Southern Region 1 ∧ less