Alumni Director (Alumni Office) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The records contain information about the Alumni Office from the late 1950s up to 1993. These records show how Alumni have become involved in the University over the course of the past several decades through fundraising, politics, and other activities.
As one of the functions of the Alumni Office is to raise funds to help the University, there are many records relating to fundraising (the Phonothon in particular), mailing campaigns, donation records, and fund distribution. Also included are historical files, alumni clubs, and Georgia legislature relations files.
- Creation: 1957-1993
- Georgia State University. Alumni Office (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
G1989-18: Access restricted to Alumni Office authorized personnel.
G1987-24; G1986-18; G1984-31: Access only by written permission of Alumni Director.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
The Alumni Director oversees the Alumni Office. This position has reported to a number of different departments in the past, including the Associate Vice President (1971), the Vice President for Urban Affairs (1972-1981), the Vice President for Academic Services (1981-1985), the Assistant Vice President for Development (1985-1986), the Vice President for Development and Alumni Affairs (1986-1989), the Vice President for University Advancement (1989-1994), and, most recently, the Vice President for External Affairs (1994-present). The director also works with the Alumni Association on issues and projects important to GSU alumni.
- Anne Smethers (Executive Secretary, Alumni Office)
- Kelly Mansfield (Office Manager, Alumni Office)
- Henry Thompson Malone (Director of Development and Executive Secretary, Alumni Association)
- Henry Thompson Malone (Director of Development and Alumni Director)
- W. Sanders Murell (Alumni Director)
- Patricia L. Sartain (Alumni Director)
- [who?] (Alumni Annual Fund Director)
- Jennifer McCarty (Alumni Relations)
- Cristina Geso (Director, Alumni Relations; Executive Director, Alumni Association)
- 2004-present (2005)
- Susan Toohey (Executive Director, Alumni Association)
Further information about the University, its offices, and officials can be found in the University biographical information box, located in the Special Collections Reading Room.
33 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Organization of the Records
Organized into 4 series, with subseries and sub-subseries. Series 01. Minutes, is made up of two subseries (1.1 Board of Directors minutes, 1.2 Committee minutes) which contain sub-subseries by accession. Series 02. Legislative Files has two subseries (2.1 Legislative relations file, 2.2 ALERT Committee file), which also contain sub-subseries by accession. Series 03. Subject Files and series 04. Deceased Alumni Files are each made up of sub-series by accession.
The collection is made up of the following accessions:
- G1984-31: Deceased Alumni
- G1986-18: Deceased Alumni, fiscal year 1985-1986
- G1987-14: Historical files
- G1987-24: Deceased Alumni, fiscal year 1987
- G1989-18: Deceased Alumni, thru May 1989
- G1992-14: Alumni Director, 1957-1989
- G1994-24: Director, 1973-1992
- G1995-01: Director, 1979-1993
Portions of the collection are stored offsite.
Donated by Alumni Director, Georgia State University.
Processed by DeAnna L. Phillips, 2003.
- Alumni Director / Alumni Office
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- DeAnna L. Phillips
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description