AFL-CIO Region 5 (Atlanta office) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The records, 1976-1978, of AFL-CIO Region 5 (Atlanta) consist of correspondence, newsletters, memos and reports covering AFL-CIO's stand on political issues and candidates for office, Lobbying, political campaigns, internal problems, issues involving union and non-union businesses, promotions and general business. Included are files on State and Local Central Bodies, the Don Luna case and trial, and the J. P. Stevens Organization and Boycott. Reports include: Report of the Department of Organization and Field Services, 1976; The Economy in Contrast--Nixon-Fords Years vs. Kennedy-Johnson Years, 1976; Profile of the Construction Industry, 1976. Memoranda include an Outline to assist State and Local Central Bodies in obtaining new affiliates and/or increasing the per capita payments of existing affiliates.
- AFL-CIO. Region 5 (Organization)
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the labor archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original.
Historical Note about AFL-CIO Region 5
AFL-CIO Region V includes the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee.
2.09 Linear Feet (in 5 boxes)
Language of Materials
AFL-CIO Region 5 (known as Region 6 until 1973) encompassed Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee. The records consists of correspondence, newsletters, memos and reports, covering AFL-CIO's stand on political issues and candidates for office, lobbying, political campaigns, internal problems, and general business.
Donated by the AFL-CIO George Meany Memorial Archives, April 1985.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Collections. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For oversized materials, contracts, constitutions, and proceedings, consult Special Collections for access.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Oversize Location
- El Cuhamil, August 1, 1977
- Equal Rights Advocate, July 1, 1977
- Greensboro Daily News, April 17, 1978
- The People's Press, 1978
- A Report on Congress
- Durham Morning Herald August 29, 1976
- We Need an Effective Labor Law, 1978
- Newspaper articles, 1972-1978
- Newspaper articles, 1979-1982
- Poster, Read what a famous newspaperwriter says about unions
- Poster, Stevens could not cut your benefits if you had a union contract
- Poster, End the low-wage conspiracy against Southern workers
- Poster, Someone is trying to mislead you!
- Poster, That message from the boss...
- Poster, This contract was a result of peaceful negotiations! Not one day of work was lost!
- Poster, Florida Steel wants to take you for a ride!
- Poster, Some facts for "The Loyal Employees Committee" to consider:
- Poster, Stand and fight together -- Let's get organized!
- Poster, J. P. Stevens Worker his back-pay jackpot!
- Poster, $1.85 per hour ain't hay!
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Agreements and Contracts Collection
- Carter County, TN, American Federation of Teachers, Local 1140 AFL-CIO and Carter County Board of Education, 1974
- Tennessee Valley Authority and Salary Policy Employee Panel, as of July 1, 1975
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and Bylaws Collection
- Alabama Labor Council, AFL-CIO and Alabama C.O.P.E. 1972; 1977
- Birmingham Labor Council, AFL-CIO, undated
- North Carolina State, AFL-CIO, 1975
- Tennessee State Labor Council, AFL-CIO, 1975
- Tennessee Valley Authority Public Safety Service Employees' D.A.L.U. #3033, AFL-CIO, 1971
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- Alcoholism: What every worker should know about alcoholism.
- AFL-CIO Metal Trades Department: Dues Checkoff; Are you a weak link?; Government workers; Guideline Agreement
- AFL-CIO Union Label and Service Trades Department: Lessons for Americans
- AFL-CIO, Legislative Reports -- State: Mississippi AFL-CIO Legislative Report, 1977
- AFL-CIO, Mississippi Labor Council: Mississippi AFL-CIO Labor Directory 1977
- Boycotts: How boycotts have helped workers win economic justice
- Clothing and Textile Workers Union Amalgamated: Guidelines for planning an ACTWU Retired Members program
- Drug Industry: Stop Drugs at the source
- Frontlash: Making Democracy Work -- A Time For Action, 1976
- Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment Bill: We need Humphrey - Hawkins now 48th Anniversary - Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- J. P. Stevens: Boycott the product, not the store
- North Carolina Labor Law Center: North Carolina Labor Law Center
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- AFL-CIO Council of Jacksonville News, June 1976
- Alabama AFL-CIO Legislative Newsletter, March 3 and 19, 1977
- Alabama Labor Council Newsletter, March; April; May; September 28, 1977
- Consumer Report -- Blue Cross Association, October; November 1977
- Florida AFL-CIO C.O.P.E. Report, October; November; December 1977
- Focus on Full Employment -- National Council for Full Employment, August; September; October 1976
- Georgia State AFL-CIO Newsletter, September 1977
- Group Research Report -- Group Research, Inc. May 2; June 7, 28; September 20; October 25; November 22; December 13, 1976
- Health Labor Relations Report, October 1976
- Health Security News -- Committee for National Health Insurance, September; November 1976
- International Labor Press Association Reporter, February 12; June 28, 1976
- Labeletter -- AFL-CIO Union Label and Service Trades Department, March 1976
- Legislative Newsletter -- Florida State AFL-CIO, April; May; June 1978
- Mississippi AFL-CIO Report, January 29; February 26; October 10; 1976; January 17; February 12; February 26; August 6, 1978
- Mississippi Legislation -- Mississippi Manufacturers Association, April 1976
- News and Views -- Democratic Women of DeKalb (GA), January 1977
- North Carolina Labor Law Center, December 1977
- Of Human Rights -- Georgetown University, Spring 1978
- Project M.O.V.E./ On the M.O.V.E. American Postal Workers Union, Atlanta, Local, November; December 1976
- Social Justice -- Amalgamated Clothing & Textile Workers Union, September 1976
- Southern Labor Studies Report -- Southern Labor Conference, November 1978
- Tennessee State Labor Council Newsletter, May 14, 1976
- Textile Labor -- Textile Workers Union of America, May 1976
- What's Going On -- Winston-Salem (N.C.) Central Labor Union, AFL-CIO, February; March; May; June; July; September 1976
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Alabama Labor Council, AFL-CIO Report to the President, Resolutions to be acted upon, Official Committees, 1977
- American Federation of Teachers Resolutions, 1976
- Florida AFL-CIO, 1976
- Georgia State AFL-CIO, 1977
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO resolutions, 1977; 1978
- Tennessee State Labor Council, AFL-CIO, 1975-1977
Processed by Special Collections Staff at the file level.
- AFL-CIO, Region 5 (Atlanta Office) [accession L1985-15]:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- June 2001
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- June 2001: EAD finding aid created by Apex Data Services.
- 2006, 2007: EAD edited by William Hardesty.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303