Skip to main content

Grady Hospital School of Nursing records

 Collection
Identifier: L1984-47
The Records, 1908-1984, of the Grady Hospital School of Nursing consist primarily of correspondence, minutes, printed material, and photographs. The bulk of this material documents the history of Grady Memorial Hospital and three of its professional schools: the School of Nursing; the School of Medical Technology; and the School of Radiologic Technology. The remainder of the collection is composed of correspondence, minutes, and printed material pertaining to the Georgia Joint Council of Paramedical Education, the Health Careers Council of Georgia, and the Georgia State Nurses Association.

Please note: While the collection does include some administrative documents from the Grady School of Nursing, it does not reflect the full scope of the administration of the program, nor does it include any student records or transcripts. Those records are maintained by the Grady Health System Professional Schools.

Dates

  • 1908-1984

Creator

Restrictions on Access

Unrestricted access.

Terms Governing Use and Reproduction

To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original. All requests subject to limitations noted in departmental policies on reproduction.
Oversized materials stored off-site. Contact archivist in advance to view these materials; 24-hour notice is required.

Extent

5.42 Linear Feet (in 13 boxes)

Abstract:

The Grady Memorial Hospital School of Nursing was chartered in 1898, and the school closed following the graduation of its 1982 class. The Records, 1908-1984, of the Grady Hospital School of Nursing consist primarily of correspondence, minutes, printed material, and photographs. The bulk of this material documents the history of Grady Memorial Hospital and its School of Nursing, School of Medical Technology, and School of Radiologic Technology.

Historical Note

The Grady Memorial Hospital School of Nursing was chartered in 1898. The Grady Memorial Hospital Municipal Training School for Colored Nurses was organized in 1914 by Mrs. Ludie Andrews, who served as superintendent of the school until 1922. From 1922 to 1965 the school was under the direction of the White Nursing School. In 1965 the two schools were combined. Nancy Wooten served as Registrar and Field Director of the Hospital's professional schools from 1956 until her retirement in 1980.

The school closed following the graduation of its 1982 class.

Acquisition Information

Donated by Nancy Wooten, July 20, 1984.

Online Availability

The photographs in this collection may have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.

Related Archival Materials

Related Materials in Other Repositories
  1. National Conclave of Grady Graduate Nurses collection, 1972-2003. (aarl05-001) Auburn Avenue Research Library on African-American History and Culture, Atlanta-Fulton County Library System.

Separated Materials Note

During processing, oversize records, printed material, photographs, and artifacts were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Collections. Material must be requested separately; consult archivist for access.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Oversize Location
  1. Weekly Issue of Stock to Registrar, 1964
  2. Newspaper Articles, 1967, 1977-1981 [4 articles]
  3. Student Application For Federally Insured Loan, 1969
  4. Outstanding Purchase Order List, 1972
  5. Poster, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection
  1. Photographs, 1930, 1933, 1939, 1954 [8 prints]
  2. Negatives, 1968 [12 strips, 72 frames]
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
  1. American Nurses Association, 1959; circa 1968 [3 pamphlets]
  2. Georgia Nurses Association, 1936; 1947; 1967; 1971 [4 pamphlets]
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
  1. Georgia Nursing, 1945-1946
  2. The Grady News, 1950-1972
  3. Health Manpower Report, January 19, 1977
  4. National League for Nursing News, July/August 1977
  5. The New Physician, November 1976
  6. Nurses Notes, November/December 1961
  7. Nursing World, June 1956
  8. The American Nurse, August 15,1977
  9. Centerscope, September/October 1966
  10. American Nurses Association, Convention Journal, May 14, 1968
  11. The District Meter, 1956-1958; 1965
  12. GSLN Gazette, circa April 1967
  13. The Tabloid, Winter/Spring 1978
  14. Together, 1972-1983
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Artifacts Collection
  1. Cloth Patch, Grady School of Radiation Oncology Technology, undated

Processing

Inventory created by James B. Murray, August 23, 1985. EAD finding aid created by Apex Data Services, June 2001; revised by William Hardesty, September 2004; January 2006.
Title
Grady Hospital School of Nursing:
Subtitle
A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
Status
completed
Author
Georgia State University Library
Date
June 2001
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
404-413-2880
404-413-2881 (Fax)