North Carolina State AFL-CIO records
Scope and Content of the Records
The collection consists of records of the North Carolina State AFL-CIO and its predecessor, the North Carolina State Federation of Labor from 1945, 1949-1981. It includes administrative files (1945, 1950-1981) consisting of correspondence, financial records, and files pertaining to the Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union, the AFL-CIO's Industrial Union Department, Public Employee Department, and Committee on Political Education. The collection also contains material regarding the North Carolina gubernatorial campaign of Wilbur Hobby, president of the North Carolina State AFL-CIO. Correspondents include William M. Barbee, E.A. Britt, and Christopher Scott. The name files (1957-1981) contain correspondence, newspaper clippings, newsletters, and printed materials relating to national, state, and local elected officials; civil rights; and labor activists. The subject files (1949-1981) include correspondence, newspaper clippings, and reports pertaining to the Occupational Safety and Health Act, the Carolina Skills Advancement Center, the J.P. Stevens Company, the Equal Rights Amendment, voter registration, tax reform, the textile industry, and public employees. The collection also contains audio cassettes, reel to reel tapes, photographs, and slides.
- Creation: 1945-1981
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
The North Carolina State Federation of Labor was organized in 1907 and held annual conventions until 1957. The North Carolina State AFL-CIO was then organized in 1958.
North Carolina State AFL-CIO Presidents, 1938-1981
- Charles A. Fink, President of the North Carolina State Federation of Labor
- William M. Barbee, President of the North Carolina (AFL)
- William M. Barbee, President of the North Carolina State Federation of Labor (AFL-CIO)
- Wilbur Hobby, President of the North Carolina State Federation of Labor (AFL-CIO)
Wilbur Hobby had served as President of the Durham (North Carolina) Central Labor Union, 1955 - 1958; Editor of the Durham Labor Journal, 1955-1958; and Area Director of AFL-CIO COPE (Committee on Political Education), 1959-1969.
112 Linear Feet (in 211 boxes)
Language of Materials
The North Carolina State Federation of Labor was organized in 1907 and held annual conventions until 1957. The North Carolina State AFL-CIO was then organized in 1958. The collection consists of administrative files, 1945, 1949-1981, and also includes material regarding the North Carolina gubernatorial campaign of Wilbur Hobby, president of the North Carolina State AFL-CIO.
The records are arranged into four series:
- Series I: Administrative Files, 1945, 1950-1981
- Series II: Name Files, 1957-1981
- Series III: Subject Files, 1947-1981
- Series IV: Separated Materials
Donated by E.A. Britt on November 11, 1981 and March 18, 1982.
During processing, a large body of printed items such as periodicals, constitutions and by-laws, contracts, pamphlets, and proceedings, as well as non-print items such as photographs, audio recordings, and artifacts, were separated to other Southern Labor Archives collections. See List of Separated Material following in the container list.
Processed by Anne L. Tilden, Charles Minihan, Rob Page, Robert Dinwiddie, Peter Roberts at the file level, May 1990; Jae Kim, Trish Raque Bogdan added the second accession, June 2005.
- Scott, Christopher (Person)
- J.P. Stevens & Co. (Organization)
- United States. Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 (Organization)
- Carolina Skills Advancement Center (Organization)
- Hobby, Wilbur (Person)
- Amalgamated Clothing and Textile Workers Union (Organization)
- AFL-CIO. Public Employee Department (Organization)
- Britt, E. A. (Person)
- Barbee, William M. (Person)
- AFL-CIO. Industrial Union Department (Organization)
- AFL-CIO. Committee on Political Education (Organization)
- North Carolina State AFL-CIO:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- 1990, 2005
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description