Newport News Central Labor Council records
Scope and Content of the Records
The records, 1899-1981, of the Newport News Central Labor Council (NNCLC) contain limited correspondence; minutes and financial documents comprise the bulk of the material. Issues present in the correspondence and minutes are affiliation of local unions in the area, delegates, charities, voter registration drives, organizing campaigns, and several instances of charges of racial discrimination or tension between black and white members. Principal correspondents are Richard Joyner, President, and C. W. Athearn and Fred Conner, Secretary-Treasurers.
In addition to the NNCLC, records of two other organizations are included. Series IV contains correspondence, minutes and financial printed material, 1947-1978, of United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices of the Plumbing and Pipe Fitting Industry, Local 540 (Newport News), and minutes, 1913-1914, of the Newport News Metal Trades Council.
- Creation: 1899-1981
- Newport News Central Labor Council (Newport News, Va.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
History of the Newport News Central Labor Council
Founded in the late nineteenth century, the Newport News (Virginia) Central Labor Council also administered the Newport News Labor Temple. The Newport News Labor Council eventually became a local unit of the AFL-CIO.
4.59 Linear Feet (in 11 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Newport News Central Labor Council records contain correspondence, minutes and financial documents concerning affiliation of local unions, delegates, charities, voter registration drives, organizing campaigns, and race issues.
Organization of the Records
Organized into 4 series:
- Series I. Correspondence (with related printed and financial documents), 1917-1979
- Series II. Minutes, 1899-1951
- Series III. Financial material, 1901-1978
- Series IV. Plumbers Local 540 (Newport News), 1947-1978
- Series V. Labor's First Congressional District Association for Political, Legislative, and Educational Activity, 1950-1951
- Series VI. Newport News Metal Trades Council, 1913, 1914
- Series VII. Non-Newport News Central Labor Council printed material, 1921-1947
- Series VIII. Pamphlets, 1981
Donated by the Newport News Central Labor Council, courtesy of Ralph D. Edgerton, 1980.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For oversized materials, constitutions, and proceedings, consult Special Collections for access.
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Oversize Location
- Location plan for Newport News Central Labor Council building, 1956
- Local 540 committee roster, 1971
- News clipping, undated
- Wage scale, AFL Building and Construction Trades, undated
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and By-laws Collection
- AFL-CIO suggested constitution for local central bodies, 1966
- Newport News Central Labor Council constitution, 1977
- Metal Trades Council of Newport News constitution, 1913
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- AFL-CIO Collective Bargaining Report (AFL-CIO Research Department), vol. 1, July/August, September 1956
- AFL-CIO Education News and Views (AFL-CIO Department of Education, vol. 1, July/August, September-November 1956
- AFL-CIO International Affairs Bulletin (AFL-CIO Department of International Affairs), vol. 1, August/September 1956
- Community Service (United Community Funds and Councils of America, Labor Participation Department, vol. 1, Fall 1956
- Economic Trends and Outlook (AFL-CIO Economic Policy Committee), vol. 1 July/August 1956
- Labor's Economic Review (AFL-CIO) vol. 1, July/August 1956
- Political Memo (filed under Memo from COPE), AFL Labor's League for Political Education), July 21, 1953, September 21, 1953
- Union Labor Report (Bureau of National Affairs), 1953-1955
Separated to the Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- Virginia State Association of Plumbers, 1953-1957
Processed by Alice Gernazian at the file level, 1982. This collection guide was created from a legacy finding aid. The inventory's contents and storage locations of separated materials (if applicable) were not verified at that time.
- Newport News Central Labor Council:
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description