Tallahassee Labor Temple (Tallahassee, Fla.) records
Scope and Content of the Records
The records of the Tallahassee Labor Temple, 1955-1971, include records of the Tallahassee Building Trades Council, 1957-1967; the Tallahassee Joint Apprenticeship Committee, 1955-1971; and the Tallahassee Central Labor Union, 1964-1965. The records consist of correspondence, minutes, financial statements, legal documents and such printed items as contracts, constitutions, directories and standards and rules. The correspondence of the Building Trades Council and the printed material of the Central Labor Union deal primarily with national AFL-CIO policies, while the correspondence and minutes of the Apprenticeship Committee primarily concern apprentice training programs. The bulk of the Labor Temple materials consist of leases and contracts involving that building. Also, included in the records are papers relating to the Florida Commission of Aging and the Florida Mediation and Conciliation Service.
- Tallahassee Labor Temple (Tallahassee, Fla.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
To quote in print, or otherwise reproduce in whole or in part in any publication, including on the Worldwide Web, any material from this collection, the researcher must obtain permission from (1) the owner of the physical property and (2) the holder of the copyright. Persons wishing to quote from this collection should consult the reference archivist to determine copyright holders for information in this collection. Reproduction of any item must contain the complete citation to the original.
History of the Tallahassee Labor Temple
The Tallahassee Labor Temple was formed by special charter installation on August 13, 1964 at the site of 1819 West Tennessee Street. It initially covered Leon, Wakulla, Franklin, Liberty, Gadsden, Jefferson, Madison and Taylor counties.
1 Linear Feet (in 3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The records of the Tallahassee Labor Temple, 1955-1971, include records of the Tallahassee Building Trades Council, 1957-1967; the Tallahassee Joint Apprenticeship Committee, 1955-1971; and the Tallahassee Central Labor Union, 1964-1965.
Donated by the Tallahassee Labor Temple, courtesy of Donald H. Phillips, June 1976.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection finding aid or catalog. For contracts, proceedings, rules, and directories consult Special Collections for access.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Directory Collection
- AFL-CIO National Building and Construction Trades, 1958; 1964
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection
- Four (4) pamphlets pertaining to apprentice training, non-union housing, labor organization reporting procedures, 1959; 1965; undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- Florida Labor News, April 29, 1965
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions and By-laws Collection
- AFL-CIO Building and Construction Trades Department, 1958; 1964
- Florida AFL-CIO, 1963; 1966
- Florida Building and Construction Trades Council, 1965; 1963; 1966
- Tallahassee Building and Construction Trades Council, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Contracts and Agreements Collection
- Tallahassee Labor Temple, Inc., 1955
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 1965; 1957
- Plumbers and Pipefitters Union, Local 592, 1958
- Bricklayers, Masons, and Plasterers International Union of America, Local 17, 1958
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Standards and Rules Collection
- Rules for settling jurisdictional disputers, AFL-CIO, 1962-1963
Processed by Robert Dinwiddie at the file level, 1977. This collection guide was created from a legacy finding aid. The inventory's contents and storage locations of separated materials (if applicable) were not verified at that time.
- Tallahassee Labor Temple (Tallahassee, Fla.):
- A Guide to Its Records at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2010: EAD finding aid created by Laura Starratt from a legacy finding aid.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
100 Decatur St., S.E.
Atlanta, Georgia 30303