George L. Googe papers
Scope and Content of the Papers
Reflecting primarily upon Googe's work as secretary-treasurer of the International Printing Pressmen's Union and as director of AFL operations in the South, these papers span the years 1946-1961. The bulk consists of printed reports, articles, clippings, and organizing information. Correspondence pertains to Pressmen's Union contracts, organizing, wage rates, and Atlanta Newspaper, Inc. Googe's work as a Kefauver delegate at the 1952 Democratic National Convention is discussed, and delegate lists are included. Photographs and wax recordings conclude the papers.
- Googe, George Logan (Person)
Restrictions on Access
Collection is open for research use.
Terms Governing Use and Reproduction
Georgia State University is the owner of the physical collection and makes reproductions available for research, subject to the copyright law of the United States and item condition. Georgia State University may or may not own the rights to materials in the collection. It is the researcher's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and obtain permission from the copyright holder before publication, reproduction, or display of the materials beyond what is reasonable under copyright law. Researchers may quote selections from the collection under the fair use provision of copyright law.
Due to technical limitations, access to the wax disc recordings is restricted (see separated materials for list)
Biography of George L. Googe
Member Pressmen's Union, 1918-1961; Savannah Board of Aldermen, 1927-1932; Southern Regional Director, AFL, 1928-1949; Vice Chairman, Georgia Democratic Executive Committee, 1936-1940; Vice President and Secretary-Treasurer, Printing Pressmen's Union, 1948-1961.
1 Linear Feet (in 3 boxes)
Language of Materials
The papers, 1946-1961, reflect primarily the work of George L. Googe (1900-1961) as secretary-treasurer of the International Printing Pressmen's Union and as director of AFL operations in the South. The bulk of the collection consists of printed reports, articles, clippings, and organizing information.
The papers are arranged into six series: Series I: International Printing Pressmen's Union, 1947-1961, Series II: AFL-CIO, 1953-1961, Series III: Democratic National Convention, 1952, Series IV: United States Government Printing Office, 1954, 1958, Series V: Commission on Judicial and Congressional Salaries, 1953, Series VI: Personal, 1947-1960
Donated by Mrs. George L. Googe, 1972.
Some of the photographs in this collection have been digitized and are available online at Georgia State University Library Digital Collections.
During processing, materials were separated to other Southern Labor Archives Printed Collections. For photographs, see the Southern Labor Archives Photographs Collection finding aid. For pamphlets, see the Southern Labor Archives Pamphlet Collection finding aid (note that this collection has been weeded over time). For periodicals, see the Southern Labor Archives periodicals collection finding aid. For contracts, constitutions, directories, proceedings, audiovisual materials, and rules, consult archivist.
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Photographic Collection
- 5 photographs
- 1 oversize photograph
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Printed Collection
- AFL-CIO merger, 1958 (9 leaves)
- California - Los Angeles, Pressmen's Union Local 18, 1952, 1955 (29 leaves)
- Georgia - Savannah, Pressmen's Union Local 110, 1952 (8 leaves)
- Minnesota, Tri-Cities Pressmen's Union Local 567, undated (7 leaves)
- New York - Oswego, Pressmen's Union Local 341, undated (3 leaves)
- Virginia - Hibbing, Typographical Union Local 727, 1951 (6 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Constitutions Collection
- AFL-CIO, 1957 (27 leaves)
- Pressmen's Union, 1956 (61 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Directories Collection
- Union Printing Offices, 1957 (11 leaves)
- Pressmen's Union, 1956 (19 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Pamphlets Collection
- Twenty-one pamphlets, filed by publisher, concerning Pressmen's pension plans; labor management representative instructions; AFL-CIO Welfare, Education, and Service Trades Departments; information from House of Representatives; Labor Department and Bureau of Employment Security; National Labor Relations Board; information about the Taft-Hartley Act and the California State Federation of Labor
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Periodicals Collection
- Monthly Bulletin, 1958
- NATSOPA Journal, 1955
- COPE Political Memo, 1953, 1956
- UAW Weekly Newsletter, 1939
- Journal of Labor, 1957, 1961, 1962, 1970
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Proceedings Collection
- AFL-CIO, undated, 1958 (28 leaves)
- Lithographers of America, 1957 (215 leaves)
- Pacific Slope Pressmen, 1961 (4 leaves)
- Paper Handlers, St. Louis Local 16, 1957 (21 leaves)
- Photo Engravers, 1955 (93 leaves)
- Printing Pressmen, 1913, 1924, 1928, 1947 (223 leaves)
- Toronto Trades and Labor Congress, 1955 (5 leaves)
- United States Congress, Joint Committee on Printing, 1956 (26 leaves)
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Standards and Rules Collection
- Pressmen's Union Apprenticeship, undated
Separated to Southern Labor Archives Audiovisual Collection (Wax Discs containing recorded speeches)
- President Truman (4 items)
- In memory of Bob Wyler by James F. Barrett (1 item)
- Frank Fenton, AFL (3 items)
- Secretary Meany, AFL (2 items)
- Senator Wayne Morse, AFL Conference (3 items)
- Mike Widman, UMW (3 items)
Inventoried by E. L. Elzroth at the file level, November 1972.
- George L. Googe:
- A Guide to His Papers at Georgia State University Library
- Georgia State University Library
- November 1972
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description